Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr Mk1 In The Damp

Surinder

whoaaaaaa !!!!

frisky little car, wasnt even that wet !!

As i went to leave the roundabout i just pressed the accelerater a tad (and it was just a tad no kiddin), next thing i know im facing the wrong way :eek:

After the split second panic, i controlled the spin to a safe halt :P luckily i didnt make contact with anyone or anything. Very lucky as it was the AM rush hour.

What a rush :D :D :D track day here i come :thumbsup:

lol welcome to the land of rwd driving....

what tyres do you have on there matey as should be ok in the damp unless you got overly carried away on the throttle...

lol welcome to the land of rwd driving....

what tyres do you have on there matey as should be ok in the damp unless you got overly carried away on the throttle...

not sure will have to check, this only the second time i have been out in the car so i have some learning to do :)

All i know is that tyres are the standard size r14*185*80 i think, and the tread is way above the legal limit.

The road probably didnt help, its used by factory lorries quite a bit and can be a bit dirty and grimy at times.

i bet ur face was a picture afterwards! happened to me in my lex last year, ended up facing the wrong way on the m60 slip road.

certainly gets ur adrenalin going!

Happened to me t'other week, although I admit I was deliberately seeing how far I could push it.

Got sideways followed by backwards. It was a hoot though. My only reaction was, "Ah ******!" just before the car span out of control! Hehe! :D

Got sideways followed by backwards. It was a hoot though. My only reaction was, "Ah ******!" just before the car span out of control! Hehe! 

:lol:

thats exactly what happened, except i wasnt pushing it. Not yet anyway ;)

I need a few track days to learn how to handle this car i think, at least thats the excuse i'll use when i tell the misses :lol:

That's a damn good idea, mate.

I intend to do the same when I can afford to, but cash is very tight at the moment.

The Mk1 is supposed to handle brilliantly. I hear nothing but bad things ("Don't provoke it - It'll bite your hand off") about the Mk2... But I still love it anyway. Just keeps things more interesting. :thumbsup:

hmm, checked the tyres properly, according to the handbook the front should be at 26psi and the rear 28psi. They are atually front 30psi, rear 34 :eek: and the rear right has worn out uneven, inside edge is fine, outside edge is more worn.

But i think that is down to tyre rotation, as the front tyres appear to be newish.

Its in the garage being cleaned and waxoyled etc, but i'm gonna drop the tyre pressures according to handbook when i get it back.

Somthing I learned the other dday - Check the sidewalls too, and not just the tread!!!

If they're worn in, then ditch the tyres because otherwise you'll be heading for a serious blowout! :eek:

just because the tyres are legal doesn't mean they're any good, different tyresd have different characteristics, some are noisier than other, some more grip etc, wrong tyres on the 2 and you'll have a lot of sideways action :)

thanx for thatm

I'm saving up for some new 15 " alloys, what tyres do you guys recommend for the car then? I was just gona go for the toyo proxies as they served the Yaris well.

I'll check what makes on the car at the moment when i get it back.

I need a few track days to learn how to handle this car i think, at least thats the excuse i'll use when i tell the misses

Here I Lincolnshire, we don't need track days, we just ask at the local disused air strip if we could borrow it for a few hours!

:thumbsup:

How is nobody has clumped a kerb? - That'll be me! :blink: I bet that'll be me, when mines sorted.

R :afro:

toyo proxes are great tyres, they give amazing grip in the wet! in fact the car feels more firm when driving in the wet than in the dry :blink: lol. Only bad thing about them of course is that they wear out quick...

I need a few track days to learn how to handle this car i think, at least thats the excuse i'll use when i tell the misses

Here I Lincolnshire, we don't need track days, we just ask at the local disused air strip if we could borrow it for a few hours!

:thumbsup:

How is nobody has clumped a kerb? - That'll be me! :blink: I bet that'll be me, when mines sorted.

R :afro:

Now then, I'm in Lincs...

Which airfield do you use, Binbrook?

Me and a mate are looking for somewhere to drfit practice :thumbsup:

proxies are great and as said am wearing through my firstset in 3 months :( i found Pirelli p6000's a good allrounder wet and dry and have also heard nothing but praise about goodyear f1's

found the problem i think,

the rear tyres are differant on each side,

on the right i have, Uniroyal, even when at 28psi i can easily push the side walls in with my finger

:boxing:

on the Left i have -> Champiro (never heard off them) looks structurly ok.

It was the rear left that went out of control 1st.

On the front i have brand new Goodyear NCT 5 (14*185*60), i am planning on sticking two Toyo T1 (14*195*55) on the rear which will be 7mm smaller in diameter than the front, but slightly wider. Will this make handling worse or better?

nb. a 7mm diameter drop means a -3.5 mm ride height change.

I was gona put toyo's all round, but as i said the front are new tyres already.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links