Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nitrogen for Better Fuel Economy?

Steve

I noticed a lot of tyre garages offering Nitrogen to replace the air in tyres claiming to save tyre wear and better fuel economy. Do you think this is pants or pretty good? Anyone ever tried it? Whats your thoughts?

There are economy benefits but not enough that I'd actually pay; You'd get more of an effect by bumping up the tyres by 5 psi or so!

The main benefit of nitrogen is it's more stable in temperature changes, so the PSI won't change as much as the tyre gets hotter. This isn't that useful for us, but very useful for racing...

Yes, Cyker is correct. The nitrogen only makes a difference when there is a great temperature variation, such as in racing or in aircraft landing gear. Otherwise, it's just another money making scheme for the garage owners.

I recommend using 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and 2% various trace gasses. Works great for me!

Nitrogen used in tyres will also have a lower moisture content.

Overall it sounds like another money making racket. Better still how do they purge the existing air out of the tyres.

A few years back some tyre suppliers claimed they were using super dry air. :rolleyes:

But then again there are enough gullible people out there who get the placebo effect and crowing to their mates to make it a marketable product. :laughing:

But then again there are enough gullible people out there who get the placebo effect and crowing to their mates to make it a marketable product. :laughing:

Makes great pub shehite conversation after 16 pints of Stella tho :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

As I understand it Nitrogen is better than ordinary air. However I believe that oxygen does seep out of the tyres after a time, nitrogen does not because it is denser. Therefor if you keep putting fresh air into the tyres eventually the vast majority left will be nitrogen.

I stand to be corrected by any member who may be a scientist !! ( or knows otherwise ).

Awesome.

so when I my foot wide 33" mud tyres for the Hilux I'll save fuel by getting them nitrogen filled....

I've got Nitrogen in the GT4's tyres. Im pretty sure i noticed a difference.

I rolled in there with exactly 38psi of air in each tyre and came out with exactly 38psi of Nitrogen in each tyre.

The first thing i noticed was how the ride somehow felt slightly firmer. Cant explain this.

I think this is good and I see it that it is really great,Everyone should have this.But money is the problem I think.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links