Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Project Footwell Lighting

tarquin

Carrying on from the Interior lighting project I am now looking to fit discreet hidden lighting in the foot wells run off the interior light switch.

I have acquired some variable length LED strip lighting that can be cut into lengths. see pic.

David

post-109788-0-26336700-1314307059_thumb.

• Like 1

Hi all been busy today.

I have finished the footwell light project. Some of the pic's look complicated,but its just a matter of removing panels to get to the wiring loom in the passenger foot well. and the centre consul to get a cable over to the driver side.Removing the panels is simple is just a matter of grab and pull, Oh and 2 x10mm bolts. Three wires are then scotch connected to the wiring loom. If this all sounds not right, I can assure you it is.It is the way Toyota connect the illuminated scuff panels. (Have a look at the installation sheets in their service area) The toyota original footwell kit consists of 2 LED's fitted into the side panels. You have to drill holes in the panels to fit them, also they are a centre spot of light plus they are £70. As a previous post shows I have some LED strip which you can cut into different lengths. I cut them to size and fitted them inside the lip of the passenger and driver knee hight panels. They can't be seen when off.

The wiring

The three wires are -: Black = passenger door switch

Green= Driver door switch

Violet/white = 12v live feed

The lights only comes on for the side which is opened. There is no extra switch for turning them on when the doors are closed, although if you wanted to do a bit of extra work you could take the live feed from the switched feed in the centre light consul and turn them on when you turn the centre light on.

The pictures of the foot well on here doesn't really do it justice as taken with an iPhone 4. But I think they look good.

post-109788-0-87530700-1314476045_thumb.

post-109788-0-43371700-1314476134_thumb.

post-109788-0-41004800-1314476186_thumb.

post-109788-0-27923100-1314476224_thumb.

post-109788-0-49694800-1314476262_thumb.

post-109788-0-56422900-1314476300_thumb.

post-109788-0-62945400-1314476498_thumb.

post-109788-0-26905200-1314476548_thumb.

post-109788-0-88206900-1314476587_thumb.

post-109788-0-71620800-1314476809_thumb.

post-109788-0-46252600-1314476861_thumb.

post-109788-0-37257100-1314476923_thumb.

post-109788-0-78496300-1314477065_thumb.

post-109788-0-19037500-1314477228_thumb.

post-109788-0-58999100-1314477304_thumb.

post-109788-0-78347300-1314477340_thumb.

• Like 1

Nice addition. All the discussions here about lights may be why Toyota (Scion in the U.S.) are offering a light package. This can be seen on the Scion.com (mobile version) under iQ Accessories for $299USD. As the roll out is still a month away here on the west coast I'm sure the regular Scion.com will be up to date in a week or so. Their package let's you switch between a number of colors as well.

Nice addition. All the discussions here about lights may be why Toyota (Scion in the U.S.) are offering a light package. This can be seen on the Scion.com (mobile version) under iQ Accessories for $299USD. As the roll out is still a month away here on the west coast I'm sure the regular Scion.com will be up to date in a week or so. Their package let's you switch between a number of colors as well.

Thanks for that I will have a look

David

• 5 weeks later...

Violet= 12v live feed

OK, I'm lost. Which green and black? I can see several. My lights are permanently on, unless I start the engine, then the drivers side goes off. But if I get out of the car, lock it, both sides stay on!

Clearly not right....

I obviously got the live feed right, but I think I have gone onto the wrong black and green.

The live feed is a violet colour with a fleck of 'silver' on it, yes?

Gawd knows where I have gone wrong, but I ran out of patience and daylight, so it'll have to wait till the weekend now.

Much p'eed off.

Violet= 12v live feed

OK, I'm lost. Which green and black? I can see several. My lights are permanently on, unless I start the engine, then the drivers side goes off. But if I get out of the car, lock it, both sides stay on!

Clearly not right....

I obviously got the live feed right, but I think I have gone onto the wrong black and green.

Gawd knows where I have gone wrong, but I ran out of patience and daylight, so it'll have to wait till the weekend now.

Much p'eed off.

Ok TX2 First stay calm

Did you buy the MR T ones or have you made your own? And have you downloaded the installation sheets for the Illuminated scuff pads NOT THE FOOTWELL LIGHTS ones? Don't use the footwell light sheet. If you only want them to come on and go off when you open and close the doors then use the illuminated scuff pad sheets.It is much simpler and doesn't disturb the windscreen pillar.I can see what might of thrown you In my pictures , you can see a thick green cable.Its free because its all I could find quickly.The thick green cable, is scotch connected to the wiring loom in the car on the thin violet/white cable which is the +12v permanently live for the LED's. The black and green wires go to the pin switches on the doors and connect to the cars negative when the doors are opened making the circuit. The lights are independent of each other. You will need Red scotch connectors because the wiring loom wires are very thin,take care with them. Hope this helps . If you let me know by tomorrow I will take some more detailed pics for you if you need them

David

Violet= 12v live feed

Clearly not right....

Much p'eed off.

Ok TX2 First stay calm

Did you buy the MR T ones or have you made your own? And have you downloaded the installation sheets for the Illuminated scuff pads NOT THE FOOTWELL LIGHTS ones? Don't use the footwell light sheet. If you only want them to come on and go off when you open and close the doors then use the illuminated scuff pad sheets.It is much simpler and doesn't disturb the windscreen pillar.I can see what might of thrown you In my pictures , you can see a thick green cable.Its free because its all I could find quickly.The thick green cable, is scotch connected to the wiring loom in the car on the thin violet/white cable which is the +12v permanently live for the LED's. The black and green wires go to the pin switches on the doors and connect to the cars negative when the doors are opened making the circuit. The lights are independent of each other. You will need Red scotch connectors because the wiring loom wires are very thin,take care with them. Hope this helps . If you let me know by tomorrow I will take some more detailed pics for you if you need them

David

Hi David... thanks for the reply. (My name is Tim by the way)

I was going by your pictures, I have downloaded nothing. Where might I download the instructions you refer to?

I would like both lights to come on at the same time, regardless of which door is opened. I think I can manage this if I work out which wires are which. If not, having them operate independently is absolutely fine.

I can see your thick green cable is just a connection from the violet wire, so I'm not confused by that one, it's which black/green wire I use in the loom further up that is the problem.

I am using the same sort of LED strips you use.

Is the violet wire the + wire and the black/green negative?

Some detailed pics would be useful. To help identify the black/green wires to use, where do they go - they look like they go into some sort of multi-connector?

Maybe I can download the instructions and work it out from there?

I know with your help I'll get it done. But I was so fed up today when I thought I had it working, only to close the doors and find the lights stayed on! Grrrrr!

I won't be able to work on it now till maybe late Friday, or the weekend. I am on stupid shifts at work till then.

Thanks.

Ok It is difficult Tim to see the wires you need from my pic's I suppose I was assuming people had the install sheets to hand. You can get them from here http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx You can get all the info you need for all the accessories. As for having both lights come on if either door is open, its a little bit more complicated than you may think. There is other circuitry hanging off the door pin switches.Like when you pull up at night and your headlights are on and stay on even when your engine is switched off. They stay on until you open your door.You could probably do it with 1N4006 diodes using them as steering diodes instead of rectification. This would keep the two door pin circuits separate. It would need a little bit of experimenting with.

On the website choose the model and the accessory you want the info on

It may be possible to connect to the wiring for the factory footwell lights and they maybe able to be switched on by the internal light.. I noticed there is some other circuitry in the cables that come with them. You might want to ask on here if anyone has the footwell lights fitted and can talk you through their operation.

David

Ok It is difficult Tim to see the wires you need from my pic's I suppose I was assuming people had the install sheets to hand. You can get them from here http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx You can get all the info you need for all the accessories. As for having both lights come on if either door is open, its a little bit more complicated than you may think. There is other circuitry hanging off the door pin switches.Like when you pull up at night and your headlights are on and stay on even when your engine is switched off. They stay on until you open your door.You could probably do it with 1N4006 diodes using them as steering diodes instead of rectification. This would keep the two door pin circuits separate. It would need a little bit of experimenting with.

On the website choose the model and the accessory you want the info on

It may be possible to connect to the wiring for the factory footwell lights and they maybe able to be switched on by the internal light.. I noticed there is some other circuitry in the cables that come with them. You might want to ask on here if anyone has the footwell lights fitted and can talk you through their operation.

David

Thanks David - will hopefully re-tackle this at the weekend. I'll post here to let you know how I get on!

Tim,

Here is a crude circuit diagram I drew this morning showing how to use diodes tp meet the door switches electrically isolated until they are switched to chassis. You can use most of the 1N4000 rang as long as you choose one rated at 1A or more.You can use terminal connectors to support the diodes, the 2amp small ones are good.

Still not sure why you want both lights to come on on either door though.

P.S Maplin 1N4006 = QL78 @ £0.29 each I f you can't find any I will send you some.

David

post-109788-0-72279500-1317192722_thumb.

All done :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the instructions for the scuff plates. That 'sealed the deal' as I could then see which green and black wires to connect onto. Think I will be wiring some other sort of cabin lighting in once I can find the right sort of fixing/LED combination.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the instructions for the scuff plates. That 'sealed the deal' as I could then see which green and black wires to connect onto. Think I will be wiring some other sort of cabin lighting in once I can find the right sort of fixing/LED combination.

Hi Tim

Have you seen my modified centre consul light? http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128078

I have documented it on here. essentially its the same unit but seriously upgraded It originally had a single smt LED fed through a magnifying lens. I upgraded this to a 3watt one in the same housing.Made a world of difference and no messing with the roof lining. Did you keep your footwell lights independent ? or use my diagram? Have you got any pic's of the install?

How did you get the cable to the drivers side? Did you take the "V" cover off etc?

David

Hi Tim

Have you seen my modified centre consul light? http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128078

I have documented it on here. essentially its the same unit but seriously upgraded It originally had a single smt LED fed through a magnifying lens. I upgraded this to a 3watt one in the same housing.Made a world of difference and no messing with the roof lining. Did you keep your footwell lights independent ? or use my diagram? Have you got any pic's of the install?

How did you get the cable to the drivers side? Did you take the "V" cover off etc?

David

I shan't be doing anything with the cabin lighting as the footwell lights are really very bright and there is a nice white glow in the cabin when the doors are opened. I don't find the interior light too little, particularly as it can be focused more or less where needed. I decided to keep the footwell lights with just each side illuminating independently depending on which door is opened.

What I might do, if I can find the right sort of housing, is a couple of LED's just above where the seat belts come out of the side panels... something that shines over the passenger/driver shoulder, and comes on with the interior light. A reading light, sort of thing.

Now that'll be a challenge to find that wiring! :blink:

As for getting the wire over to the passenger side from the drivers side, I just prised back the two small panels at the bottom each side of the centre console, then fed the wire up and over what I think was an air vent tube. Didn't have to remove the "V" cover at all.

Hi Tim

I have some of these. I haven't used them yet they come in white or blue . They are about 10mm wide and 1.5 thick and 60mm long They are sticky back and show 3 very small narrow aperture LED's Wiring would be simple, its easy to connect to the centre light so they come on when the doors open or if the switch is turned . If when you get around to it you need help I know all the connections you need.The last pic i put on this morning as another option, fitted with 2 small screws. Both are available from "Ring" on-line or from Halfords.

david

post-109788-0-93957900-1317588877_thumb.

post-109788-0-08319900-1317588933_thumb.

post-109788-0-24207800-1317625682_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links