Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Project Possibly The Last

tarquin

As I have run out of things to do to my iQ this may be my last project unless someone comes up with an idea they wold like on their's and I will investigate it.

Puddle lights

As an extension to the footwell lighting, I thought a nice touch would be to fit puddle lights/courtesy lights. This involves taking the door panels off. Not easy without a trim tool. I bought one from Halfords for £11.Worth its weight in gold when working in the car.Also it means getting a cable throughout the rubber boot between the door and the door pillar.This is not an easy task, and I would say that it was by far the most difficult to do. The puddle LED's were bought from Halfords for £12.99 . I used some very small wire for the length through the rubber boot and normal red/black for the rest of the wiring just to keep the colour coding.I drilled a 2mm hole in the bottom of the inner plastic door skin to take the cable and the LED was secured with its own pads an I put a cable tie tight on the cable inside the door in case the pad failed at any time. (Note) This is the lip nearest to the inside of the car which has clearance. The outer one has no clearance at all.I used thick copper wire as a draw wire to get through the rubber boot . I still found I had to try to keep the boot straight or it wouldn't go through.I un bolted the door restraint just to give a bit more room. This requires a fresh appliance of thread loch on re-fitting.All cables were soldered and heat shrunk and cable tied where needed,The last picture shows the puddle light and the footwell lights on together.

David

post-109788-0-07315500-1316159174_thumb.

post-109788-0-53924100-1316159225_thumb.

post-109788-0-28759300-1316159258_thumb.

post-109788-0-37407300-1316159298_thumb.

post-109788-0-53310200-1316159330_thumb.

I wish you were near to me for doing some sparks work, its all black magic to me & i need a mates time when he can spare me it.

My iQ ownership is sadly over now untill i find a suitable accident damaged one for my project of putting the body on a

Suzuki 4x4 rolling chassis.

I am back driving my favourite Jimny for this winter & it is getting its running gear used for the conversion next year.

My iQ left on a transporter on Tuesday, god help whoever buys it, its been ragged to death & was doing my head in with rattles & squeeks.

(still have a big Toyota that is has been getting used very little but will be back as my Clean clothes drive.

SWMBO has also swapped her nearly brand new iQ3 for a used A1 after getting an offer she could not sensibly refuse.

Really really is the same seating & driving position as the iQ, shame it is an Audi but cant be helped.

Been nice using the forum & enjoyed all your cars, catch you in 2012.

george

George

That is such bad news and i wish you well with your new project. Sad to see you go mate. All the best for the future.

David

Good work David toast.gif

A tip for getting more wires through existing grommets or rubber boots is to give them a squirt of WD40, the new wires slip through easily then.wink.gif

Puddle lights

As an extension to the footwell lighting, I thought a nice touch would be to fit puddle lights/courtesy lights. This involves taking the door panels off. Not easy without a trim tool. I bought one from Halfords for £11.Worth its weight in gold when working in the car.Also it means getting a cable throughout the rubber boot between the door and the door pillar.This is not an easy task, and I would say that it was by far the most difficult to do. The puddle LED's were bought from Halfords.

David

Very nice David.... good show...

Peter

PS

Sorry to hear s44gtw has left the forum.... success

Good work David toast.gif

A tip for getting more wires through existing grommets or rubber boots is to give them a squirt of WD40, the new wires slip through easily then.wink.gif

Thanks for the advice Soleey, I also have Hellerman oil but it wasn't that it was tight, (there is quite a lot of room there) It was because it was scrunched up and kinda folding back on itself. The acrual cable I put through there was only 1.5mm.Anyway all done now .

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links