Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Illuminated Scuff Plates

tarquin

Hi everyone

Has anyone on here bought and fitted the illuminated scuff plates. The reason for asking is that i want to fit a set but i dont want the illumination to be amber /orange because as you know my car is now blue illuminated. I wanted to know if someone has bought some and could tell me what the underside is like and if the LED's are accessable and not say totally encased in resin. I can get some from the dealer but you have to pay for them in advance and there are no returns. A lot of money to waste if i cant modify

Cheers

David

Hi everyone

Has anyone on here bought and fitted the illuminated scuff plates. The reason for asking is that i want to fit a set but i dont want the illumination to be amber /orange because as you know my car is now blue illuminated. I wanted to know if someone has bought some and could tell me what the underside is like and if the LED's are accessable and not say totally encased in resin. I can get some from the dealer but you have to pay for them in advance and there are no returns. A lot of money to waste if i cant modify

Cheers

David

The US version, Scion iQ offers illuminated scuff plates with changeable colors.

"Illuminated door sills spring to light whenever the doors are opened, sporting a glowing LED Scion logo that can be changed to one of seven colors: blue, turquoise, green, yellow, red, purple and white."

Hi thanks for the reply. Now thats very interesting. There is no mention of a coloour change option. Do you know what colour the dash lights are? Are they a yellow/orange/amber colour like in the uk.

David

Hi thanks for the reply. Now thats very interesting. There is no mention of a coloour change option. Do you know what colour the dash lights are? Are they a yellow/orange/amber colour like in the uk.

David

We haven't received the cars yet, first one in our area is scheduled for Oct. 10th. I believe the dash lights are the same as UK. I also think the scuff plate option and the floor light options are changeable via a switch or knob but I could be wrong on that. Doesn't make sense to me that the color is an install option.

I'm not sure why you would be given the option to change colour if the rest of the dashboard lighting is Amber/orange.For instance, why would you want Red with an orange dashboard. Colour clash or what!!

Will know tomorrow morning as I am picking a set up. Will document the mod fingers crossed. Are you buying a Scion when they arrive?

David

Ok I picked up the illuminated scuff plates. On first inspection, it looked like the display was a sealed fluorescent unit but there wasn't an inverter. Powering it up revealed two orange lights at one end of the white display which indicated it was standard smt LED's.. I marked where they were and cut the plastic using a modelling knife.Carefully revealing a very small circuit board which had a slot in the plastic both ends. The LED's light output butted up to the edge of the "glass" thus illuminating all of the plate.I carefully prised the board out and changed the 2 orange /amber LED's for Blue one's. I fitted it back into the slots and glued a white cover, made from an old credit card, over the hole I had doug..Hey Presto Blue Display.

David

post-109788-0-40550000-1317239727_thumb.

post-109788-0-58043600-1317239790_thumb.

post-109788-0-31209700-1317239831_thumb.

post-109788-0-23207800-1317239867_thumb.

post-109788-0-79261400-1317239957_thumb.

post-109788-0-10790300-1317239990_thumb.

post-109788-0-92101200-1317240017_thumb.

post-109788-0-62495000-1317240055_thumb.

post-109788-0-68140300-1317240117_thumb.

All that worry over nothing then :P This blue project of yours makes you wonder why Toyota didn't just use blue LEDs in the first place, they look much better. Gives a relaxing and a more modern feel to the interior.

Someone told me yesterday that VW made the decision to go for blue because of the carming effect it has. I think the orange is a bit Japaneesy because I have 2 radio's with the same colour display. Maybe its because they are from the land of the rising sun lol

David

• 1 month later...

HOW DO I CHANGE THE DASHBOARD FROM AMBER TO BLUE. PLEASE HELP!!!

I think you put this question in the wrong thread Elliott its of I have already answered it

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links