Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Rev 3 Fuel - Which One?

Rikki

Getting the car tomorrow and need to know whats best to fill her up with.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rikki

Hey, I find Optimax better for my car, plus I think there are more garages in the Glasgow area that offer it. just my 2 pennies worth.

optimax is the better fuel, ultimate is basically rebranded super unleaded with a premium added to cover the cost of giving it a new name. optimax has a higher octane rating.

I have to be honest and say I;ve used both Optimax and Super unleaded, and have noticed no difference at all between the two. Having said that, I am running at standard boost.

Possibly - though I would be a little suspicious, I think a lot of it could be hype and puitting a more expensive petrol may make you psychologically think the car is running better.....But then what do I know! :D

Ive tried both and found them to be no different except in the price. The BP Ultimate stuff is 'supposed' to be better for your engine as it is better refined = purer. The Optimax stuff is just boggo 97octane gas with additives to increase the octane(cheatin basts). I still use Optimax as its cheaper...the Shell garage in Charing X has it for 79.9p tis the one I always use.

Crikey that's a good price for London. In Bath, Optimax costs 84.5p. So I put in Esso Super Unleaded.

Ive foudn tha tmy rev 2 tubby lurrrrves optimax, feels so much smoother...costs 84.2p here in greater london!! :eek::crybaby:

costs 84.2p here in greater london!! [\QUOTE]

Nice to know I'm not alone :).

Just wanted to check as I know Evo's and Scooby's love their Optimax as its the closest to 100 RON fuel over here and they can detonate top end if using 95 RON watered down economy fuel.

Does the rev3 have alternative timing maps in its ECU for lesser fuel or a knock sensor built in?

R.

all mk2's had a knock sensor that allowed the ECU to !Removed! the timing, also im 95% sure that all rev3+ turbos were more tolerant of lower grade fuel.

Yep rev 3 turbos are more tolerant of lower grade fuel. Makes me wonder whether the reason why the US turbo is maxed out at 200bhp is becuase fuel is generally lower octanes over there. Nevertheless I still notice no difference. I used to be able to get full boost on 95 octane too.

lucky! my rev 2 hates 95 octane lol, it keeps limiting at 7psi with that stuff, you can almost hear the ecu screaming "**** off i aint having any of that crap!!" :wacko:

Yep rev 3 turbos are more tolerant of lower grade fuel. Makes me wonder whether the reason why the US turbo is maxed out at 200bhp is becuase fuel is generally lower octanes over there. Nevertheless I still notice no difference. I used to be able to get full boost on 95 octane too.

The US tubby was restricted because of emissions not due to the octane level. The grade in the US is the same except they use PON instead of RON which is why you see lower grades. Its still the same tho. Its just their stupid emission laws.. . FS look at thier Vipers and Z28 etc 8ltr V10s..6ltr V8s...%$(off...tossers those cars would kill whole rainforests but they beat on smaller (and more effiecient!) turbo jap engines. Oh yea like they really abide by the Kyoto agreement...emissions my ar5e! Its more political they just dont want foreign vehicles in thier silly little land of the brave <_<

rant over :yes:

I see, but couldn't they achieve the same using a larger cat? Although i suppose a more restrictive cat would cut the power anyway. Still it is strange when as you rightly say Amerca is the home of the big V8 etc, though when i was last there, the cars had much smaller engines.

lot of people say optimax is premium unleaded 95 ron with lots of boosters added to up it to 98ron, can't call it super unleaded as the boosters degrade after so long... a few motorsport tuners say 97ron super is a better bet then add your own booster on filling up as you know its 'fresh'.

Saying that tho many others claim optimax allows full boost when other 97 supers won't. Hard to know what to believe.

I must admit running optimax in the n/a it seems to idle better, less lumpy. If i go optimax to 95 premium my car knocks like a ***** for half a tank....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links