Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear View Camera

tarquin

I am familiar with "back to square one" but I had no idea what knackered meant.

In the Uk in the days before television we only had 3 radio stations run by the BBC. They used to produce a magazine called Radio Times( they still do but covers all radio and tv programmes) back in those days live football( soccer) was on the radio and so the commentator could indicate to the listener where the ball was, the radio times printed a numbered grid. The goal keeper was grid one so the commentator would say "back to square one" where the goalkeeper would have to kick the ball out to restart the game again. Which we know as start whatever you are doing again

David

It's always interesting to know where a phrase comes from. I've been using that for many years and had no idea. Thank you for the explanation.

This can be one of 2 things. 1, you have not connected the screen ( twisted braided wire around the yellow wire) to one of the 2 black wires that are with the red and white wires going into the back of the Tns properly or your camera is not dual Pal and NTSC Copy on here the link of what camera you bought or just for Taz the camera is Knackered

David

This can be one of 2 things. 1, you have not connected the screen ( twisted braided wire around the yellow wire) to one of the 2 black wires that are with the red and white wires going into the back of the Tns properly or your camera is not dual Pal and NTSC Copy on here the link of what camera you bought or just for Taz the camera is Knackered

David

I was going to use a PAL only camera, when I get round to it, as I thought that was the basic requirement although dual PAL/NTSC would be OK.

Is PAL alone not enough, David?

John

I am not convinced that the tns is Pal. It comes from Japan who's country use NTSC system. I feed my iPhone into the extra input i made and it doesnt seem to make a difference if i output PAL or NTSC to it. So not sure. My camera is both. That statement alone is weird as im not sure how a camera can output both as it would require an output with 2 sync pulses and 2 colour burst pulses i at 4.43mhz for PAL and one at 3.59mhz. The line rate is different as well at 625 for PAL and 575 for NTSC. Not sure how the tns knows which one to receive. There are no switches

David

I do know people have played standard home DVD players through the Tns which would have been PAL

Check the screen wire. Try it on the other black lead. You can put a phono plug back on the video cable and run it on a small 9v Battery and plug it into your home tv on aux input to see the picture to see if its ok

David

Thanks David, I will just have to try it and see, and get hold of an NTSC one if it is no go.(assuming everything else is working OK, of course)

John

Hi all,

I don't get why all this fuss... I simply connected the positve video signal, and that was it! Voltage camera feed is done with the rear light feed shunt (so ground signal is commnon), and it works perfectly. Actually on my first attempts, used the video ground and got back a b/w video signal and only when accidentaly the ground was cut I got the signal right.

I have this theory regarding the camera position: Toyota chose that funny place for the camera because where we all put it (by the licence plate), it gets dirty in wet conditions. Still it looks much better and it's not usally that dirty (even in bad weather conditions), so I don't regret choosing that spot at all...

With that, I take this opportunity to whish you all an excellent Christmas and an even better new year.

Carlos.

my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for your help, I received my new rear camera and just plug in. Al is working perfectly

img_2012.jpg

• Like 1

That's great! Glad to know our input was of some help.

One advice, though: think of it as a mirror cause distances are not always what they seem to be... ;-)

• 2 years later...

I have followed this most excellent guide, but am still having problems.

I dont have anything plugged into the grey plug, so my car is obviously not giving a signal for the reverse.

I tried just putting the 12v onto the pin where the green wire would be connected, and nothing happens. I was expecting to see the screen blink whilst looking for a video input, but nothing.

When I go into the hidden menus, the camera input is greyed out. Have you any idea where I go next?

Car is a RAV4, and I fitted the TNS510 after purchase.

Hi,

Welcome to this topic. I'm sure you'll find this radio excellent and still very up to date.

Regarding your doubt, I suggest you hook a video signal. It will detect it and only after that it will work. You can use a dvd player or any other source to test it. Of course, if the video is not using the current from the car, you'll have to connect the ground to it too, instead of just using the positive video feed...

Hope it has helped.

All the best.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links