Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Check For Recalls?

Wayne in the UK

First up, I'm loving my iq! 60+ mpg on a run today. However, that's just it as my trip computer is maxing out at 60mpg.

This lead me to remember that I've read about an update for the trip computer to allow a larger reading?

It's a 2009/58 plate so should I also check to see if the car has missed any recalls/updates?

There was not a recall on it.

No safety issues.

People complained or pointed it out & it was dealt with/corrected under warranty.

george

I have a two year Toyota warranty on mine so I'll get it sorted in that case :-)

How does one check whether the new (secondhand) car has had all of its recalls??

Is there website, to type in the reg number??

Thanks...............BarryC.

How does one check whether the new (secondhand) car has had all of its recalls??

Is there website, to type in the reg number??

Thanks...............BarryC.

Toyota GB have this web page which may help.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&CampaignID=C3500&nodiv=true&fullwidth=TRUE&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3cnone%3e&edname=as_YourToyota&zone=Zone+Ownership&id=check_your_toyota

thanks for the heads up on the web page....but it doesn't let you get passed the Reg no.

cheers BarryC.

thanks for the heads up on the web page....but it doesn't let you get passed the Reg no.

cheers BarryC.

It works for me if I use Internet Explorer to access the internet, but not if I use a different ISP like AOL.

it must be Mozilla Firefox that is causing the problem............so I will try IE, and see what happens

thanks a lot Johann

Cheers Barry

I tried with Internet E. and got a result straight away......no recall needed, it seems, for any of the issues...

..probably means that they have washed their hands of this particular car!

I suppose that the problem of buying a secondhand car, is that everything seems suspicious, until proven otherwise...although at 6,400 miles, its hardly a secondhand car

cheers BarryC.

I tried with Internet E. and got a result straight away......no recall needed, it seems, for any of the issues...

..probably means that they have washed their hands of this particular car!

I suppose that the problem of buying a secondhand car, is that everything seems suspicious, until proven otherwise...although at 6,400 miles, its hardly a secondhand car

cheers BarryC.

If the site says that there are no recalls pending on your particular car, I would assume they have all been done, either actioned by the previous owner or the dealership before you bought it, if you bought it from a dealer.

A dealer will have a record of any work done on your car, so you could double check with them.

if only that was true Johann....

before i committed myself to buying the car, sight unseen, from an Autotrader Mr T dealer in Norfolk, I got very little info from the salesperson...

.....sort of happy with this because the car had only done 6,400 miles, so what problems could there be.....when the company delivered the car, and I looked in the service book there was NO ENTRIES at all, except the 2 year service they agreed to do..

no pre-delivery inspection, no record of supplying dealer or first owner, and no first service stamp............at that stage I was prepared to send the car back, but then the sales guy agreed to knock an extra £300 off the price and rectify the service book....and it WAS only 6k miles!

the number plates and back window sticker say that the car comes from Marshalls of Kings Lynn, but the sales bloke said it wasn't from them........I still have goose bumps thinking about its provenance, and how it could be sold without all these vital stamps, as no service equals no warranty....on the other hand it is HPI clear, with no damage notices

so no record of any recalls from Marshals but the Toy website says none needed.......

and now I realise I have no V5............but can't remember whether it is the DVLA that sends me a new copy, and I have to be patient, or whether I should have sent off something from the original V5, as I did for the sale of my Smart...the V5 will give the name of the first keeper, so maybe some sleuth work to find an address and phone number!

its all very messy, and only mollified by the Full Leather, parking sensors, and chrome pack, plus glove box (bag), and 8K miles....but even this doesn't ring true, because the car has a Sport Badge on the flanks, but no rear spoiler or exhaust trim....the glove bag comes as part of iConnect pack, but the car doesn't have the bluetooth............it has iStyle chrome, but no surrounds the the foglights.....

on the other hand, maybe these options were not options in March 09!!!

ah well.......it runs well!!

cheers BarryC

if only that was true Johann....

before i committed myself to buying the car, sight unseen, from an Autotrader Mr T dealer in Norfolk, I got very little info from the salesperson...

.....sort of happy with this because the car had only done 6,400 miles, so what problems could there be.....when the company delivered the car, and I looked in the service book there was NO ENTRIES at all, except the 2 year service they agreed to do..

no pre-delivery inspection, no record of supplying dealer or first owner, and no first service stamp............at that stage I was prepared to send the car back, but then the sales guy agreed to knock an extra £300 off the price and rectify the service book....and it WAS only 6k miles!

the number plates and back window sticker say that the car comes from Marshalls of Kings Lynn, but the sales bloke said it wasn't from them........I still have goose bumps thinking about its provenance, and how it could be sold without all these vital stamps, as no service equals no warranty....on the other hand it is HPI clear, with no damage notices

so no record of any recalls from Marshals but the Toy website says none needed.......

and now I realise I have no V5............but can't remember whether it is the DVLA that sends me a new copy, and I have to be patient, or whether I should have sent off something from the original V5, as I did for the sale of my Smart...the V5 will give the name of the first keeper, so maybe some sleuth work to find an address and phone number!

its all very messy, and only mollified by the Full Leather, parking sensors, and chrome pack, plus glove box (bag), and 8K miles....but even this doesn't ring true, because the car has a Sport badge on the flanks, but no rear spoiler or exhaust trim....the glove bag comes as part of iConnect pack, but the car doesn't have the Bluetooth............it has iStyle chrome, but no surrounds the the foglights.....

on the other hand, maybe these options were not options in March 09!!!

ah well.......it runs well!!

cheers BarryC

Yes Barry, the DVLA sends you the V5 so if you have not had the car long, be patient!

I dont think IQs are made with a "sports" Badge so it sounds like the PO just added it. Also in March 09 all IQs came with the glove bag as standard so at that time it wasn't part of a pack. The chrome style pieces can be added separately by an owner so they dont have to be part of a pack either.

I think the only "problem" could be the lack of service stamp at the right time. (My new IQ service booklet has nothing, zilch, zero, in it..i.e. no record of PDI, no entry of VIN number or anything, so that must be acceptable as long as the car details are added when a service is done)

Perhaps the PO did so few miles he didn't think it was worth paying for a service if the car was only doing about 3000 miles a year, and he knew he would be selling it.

If it is a March 09 car, the warranty will expire in March next year and so will the problem! If it is running well now and no recalls show up as being needed then all being well you will have no trouble with it.Relax and enjoy it!

When the V5 comes you will be able to find out who the PO was and check with him what the history is, as you say.

I think his/her address details should be on the V5.

John

I went to my local RRG main dealer today to check out the recall status of my iQ. I bought it from a Renault dealer last week who took it in part ex from someone down in Oxford. I just gave them the Reg number and they told me it has not had any recall work done, has no outstanding recalls and has never been back to a main dealer since it was bought new back in January (then again with only 2300 miles on the clock, it shouldn't have needed to).

Barry, have you been to your local dealer to see if they can give you any official history?

sounds like the next step for me Mark....

the only problem about walking into a local dealer and asking for 'help' is that they didn't supply the car, and would have minimal interest, other than a professional Toyota one, in helping out.........a few ???'s, but I will have a go

your car is a very recent car, so has less 'possibilities' than my 2.5 year old one.......

I still find it Very Odd that any supplying dealer would neglect to fill in the very first page of the Service book.......what else are they capable of neglecting???

cheers BarryC.

the only problem about walking into a local dealer and asking for 'help' is that they didn't supply the car, and would have minimal interest, other than a professional Toyota one, in helping out.........a few ???'s, but I will have a go

your car is a very recent car, so has less 'possibilities' than my 2.5 year old one.......

I still find it Very Odd that any supplying dealer would neglect to fill in the very first page of the Service book.......what else are they capable of neglecting???

cheers BarryC.

Barry, re. the service book.

In my case the service book and all the other manuals, club Toyota stuff, etc, was in the black plastic holder thing which was still in it's sealed and unopened polythene bag in the drivers door pocket when I took the car away.

The car had been PDI'd and beautifully prepared but the salesperson had not gone into the bag, taken out the service book and filled in the details, probably because he knows it will be done when the car comes in for it's first service.

I expected it to be done but it is not strictly required to be done at that stage so it is not a problem.

I don't think it indicates a neglectful garage, just a procedural anomaly that they have got used to.

cheers BarryC.

Barry, it shouldn't matter if you bought it from them or not. When you walk in they will be looking at you as a prospective customer for future servicing and the likes. My local asked me "Have we seen the car before?" i said no and he just took all my details and loaded them on to their system. They were still friendly and helpful even though I hadn't bought from them.

cheers BarryC.

Barry, it shouldn't matter if you bought it from them or not. When you walk in they will be looking at you as a prospective customer for future servicing and the likes. My local asked me "Have we seen the car before?" i said no and he just took all my details and loaded them on to their system. They were still friendly and helpful even though I hadn't bought from them.

My local MR T has been very good and helpful although, they do have 2 Duff mechanics. The spares department has been exceptional helping me out with my information wimms.and they have no idea where I bought the car.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links