Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wobbling Clutch Pedal

forrestt

As title really. It wobbles about 2cms left and right.

Apart from that a cracking, if dog slow little car.

As title really. It wobbles about 2cms left and right.

Apart from that a cracking, if dog slow little car.

Just measured my clutch pedal free lateral play and it is about 5mm total, left to right measured at the lower edge of the rubber pad.

20mm seems excessive.Perhaps worth havlng it checked?

I was going to book it in. But my local (25 miles away) dealer was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Asked how long it would take and he didn't know, might take 4-5 hours and id have to pay labour since my cars 2000 miles out of its warrenty. Bit of a joke when they wouldn't even offer me a courtesy car.

How do you get to the top of the clutch pedle? Hope its not a dash out jobbie.

I was going to book it in. But my local (25 miles away) dealer was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Asked how long it would take and he didn't know, might take 4-5 hours and id have to pay labour since my cars 2000 miles out of its warrenty. Bit of a joke when they wouldn't even offer me a courtesy car.

I didn't realise the warranty had expired.

Once you find out what is causing the free play you don't have to get MrT to fix it,(would 4-5 hours labour be something like £400-£500?)

It is an unusual thing to happen unless the pivot pin or bracket has come loose, in which case a general IQ recall could be in order in case it may happen to others....just joking,... sort of.

Tarquin, or David, has had the panel work off from the front dash area of his IQ I believe, so he may be able to help you with getting access to see what is up with the pedal.Lets hope he reads this thread!

have you done over 60,000 miles in two years.....???warranty 3 years or 60k

I haven't but the last owners did. Still I've had it since Thursday and done nearly 600 already.

The rate I'm using it too.

It will be on 120k by the yime its 4 years old. Is that a lot?

I haven't but the last owners did. Still I've had it since Thursday and done nearly 600 already.

Did the garage not give you a warranty? On that age of car I would have thought they would have. Normally Toyota give you a 'one month return if not happy guarantee'.

Did the garage not give you a warranty? On that age of car I would have thought they would have. Normally Toyota give you a 'one month return if not happy guarantee'.

The IQ I traded in to a dealer last month is now on sale with a years new dealers warranty although there were only about 6 months of the original Toyota warranty left.

In this case, you have had the car for such a short time there MUST be some sort of warranty on it.

So any work done by the dealer must be covered unless caused by normal wear and tear.An excessively wobbly clutch pedal, which could be dangerous by causing a lack of control if it became completely loose, would not be due to normal wear and tear.

The original three year warranty will not run out until the start of 2012 as the first IQs, mine was one, were not sold until Jan/Feb 2009.The warranties should be transferred with the car, as far as I know.Not if the car has done over 60,000 miles though, which I think you implied earlier the previous owner had done.

I didn't realise the warranty had expired.

Once you find out what is causing the free play you don't have to get MrT to fix it,(would 4-5 hours labour be something like £400-£500?)

It is an unusual thing to happen unless the pivot pin or bracket has come loose, in which case a general IQ recall could be in order in case it may happen to others....just joking,... sort of.

Tarquin, or David, has had the panel work off from the front dash area of his IQ I believe, so he may be able to help you with getting access to see what is up with the pedal.Lets hope he reads this thread!

My name mentioned? lol

To get a better view of the pedals is simple. First grab the scuff plate (drivers side) with both hands and pull upwards and off it comes. Next grab the triangle shaped footwell cover and pull it towards you, it will un-clip and come off, there is a locating pin in the footwell.Next at each end of the panel, which contains the airbag knee panel there are 2 x 10mm bolts. Remove them and give the whole panel a tug at both ends.It will pull away leaving the air bag panel behind mounted on metal brackets. There are a few un-clipable leads and the bonnet pull lever to un-clip.All are obvious to disconnect. I have done it many times and reckon I can do it in less than 3mins. Hope this helps

David

I did get a warranty, but it was a rac one and the dealer that sold it is being funny about the clutch pedle. Saying that its probily not covered as its not mechanical (what so the clutch isn't mechanical?? Idiot) so I'm just going to have a bash at it myself, if I can't fix it ill send it to my garage, at least they know what a way to hold a spanner.

Thanks for the info on getting to the pedles too.

If id have bought it from toyota I,d have probily given it back when I was In there on Monday, they were bloominhlg useless, I asked if it had missed any recalls, gave them the reg and he asked when I'm going to pick it up! He thought it was for a service.... about 30 mins later I finally got a reply to the question I asked, after they tried to sell me a service plan for £65 a month and a warranty for nearly £400 for a year!

I think ill be doing the small services myself and just give it to my garage for the big ones and save myself about £500 a year.

Really not impressed with basingstoke toyota.

I did get a warranty, but it was a rac one and the dealer that sold it is being funny about the clutch pedle. Saying that its probily not covered as its not mechanical (what so the clutch isn't mechanical?? Idiot) so I'm just going to have a bash at it myself, if I can't fix it ill send it to my garage, at least they know what a way to hold a spanner.

Thanks for the info on getting to the pedles too.

Sorry but I have a multi-drive other wise I would have ripped the panel off and had a look for you and taken some pic's I have a 59 plate and the warranty was transferred to me with 1.5yrs left also i took out a service plan for 4yrs at just over £12 a month

No idea where they got their figures from unless the risks are higher at 60k.

Laying on your back with the seat back you shoot be able to see the top of the pedals and see how they function and whats causing the play in the clutch one.

David

I think it was so expensive because it will do 25-30k a year.

I had the covers off and had a look. Everythings as tight as my wifes purse strings so it can stay like it is, its not going anywhere.

Its a bit odd, If its moving that much you must be able to see where the "play" is

David

Doesn't anyone have photo's of this piece of mechanics... or a blowup view of the hinges and such???

I could not find any .. over here.. sorry.. :crybaby:

Peter

PS Forrestt ... Question...When it's tight and sturdy as your wife's "%&*#^" .... then why is it moving laterally???? There must be some joint lose or wobbly... :baby:

I think it was so expensive because it will do 25-30k a year.

I had the covers off and had a look. Everythings as tight as my wifes purse strings so it can stay like it is, its not going anywhere.

Does the play look like it is on the pedal shaft, for example caused by the shaft or pivot pin being worn (or bushes being worn but I doubt if there are any bushes in the assembly)?

If the bracketry mounting the pedal assembly to the bulkhead is sound and not loose in some way then there must be free play in the pivot shaft.

I suppose that would be acceptable if everything is in place and no clips or nuts and bolts are missing, but it does seem strange that there should be so much free play.

Bit of a mystery, but maybe the manufacturing tolerances are a bit sloppy in that part of the car.

Hard to explain but the bit that the bolt that holds the pedle up, has worked its self loose and larger, its silgltly cone shaped, eg got bigger at one end, not a lot but enough to give it some play.

Is this not a simple unbolt and replace the worn parts? Is it worn due to lack of lubrication?

David

Hard to explain but the bit that the bolt that holds the pedle up, has worked its self loose and larger, its silgltly cone shaped, eg got bigger at one end, not a lot but enough to give it some play.

It is unusual for things like that to work loose in modern cars.

Could a clip or similar locking device have become detached from the pivot assembly causing it to be loose?

Or is it just wear?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links