Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Up Display

barrycoll

As the speedometer on the IQ is not the acme of readability, has anyone considered one of these after market Head Up Displays...just plug into the OBD port (where ever that is ??) and bingo, real time speed projected clearly onto the windscreen..

I have experienced this on a BMW M5, and it is a great item, as you see it, with looking for it... www.e-hud.com

cheers BarryC.

As the speedometer on the IQ is not the acme of readability, has anyone considered one of these after market Head Up Displays...just plug into the OBD port (where ever that is ??) and bingo, real time speed projected clearly onto the windscreen..

I have experienced this on a BMW M5, and it is a great item, as you see it, with looking for it... www.e-hud.com

cheers BarryC.

Going to have a look. love a gadget. The OBD11 port looks like a scart socket and is located next to the bonnet pull lever.

David

cheers BarryC.

Barry, is that the right web address takes me to a nothing site

David

cheers BarryC.

Barry i think you will find its http://www.hud-e.com

What a sales guy you are. Just bought one in red. going to see about modifying it to blue!!.

David

nice to hear you have gone for it, David....you can be the guinea pig, and let me know whether its £99 well spent!

cheers Barry............sorry about getting the web address wrong!

nice to hear you have gone for it, David....you can be the guinea pig, and let me know whether its £99 well spent!

cheers Barry............sorry about getting the web address wrong!

Its no problem I just googled it.. It might be up for sale if I can't find a way to change it to blue. lol

David

cheers BarryC.

Barry i think you will find its http://www.hud-e.com

My OBD port has a Scangauge attached so I couldn't use this but it seems a good idea.

After I was "done" for doing 34mph on a 30mph wide empty road by a speed camera a few years ago I now have a speed camera warning device mounted close to the speedo but higher and easier to see which gives spoken speed warnings and a GPS generated digital MPH readout, which is extremely accurate.

Like a satnav but all it does is warn of cameras and hazardous corners and show the speed, and you can just leave it in the car as it is small and looks hardly worth pinching, but is very useful.

Powered by the auxiliary power socket, which leaves my OBD port available for the Scangauge.

What a sales guy you are. Just bought one in red. going to see about modifying it to blue!!.

David

WOW .. that is a very nice gadget... Toyota iQ is in the list of cars.. :-)

Is it really that simple to fit in the car??? I'm impressed!

Peter

Me again

If you look at the socket on the iQ it is held in the panel by very small clips, almost breathing on it gets it out. I intend to splice into the wiring of it behind the panel and all wiring to and from the unit will be invisible.For those of you who don't want to do that or have other things hanging off it, the company does a dual lead which gives you back a socket again for £8. I have a thing about things being flush or not visible when it comes to cables and usually splice and heat shrink rather than have big bulky sockets.. Just my preference I suppose.

David

Me again

If you look at the socket on the iQ it is held in the panel by very small clips, almost breathing on it gets it out. I intend to splice into the wiring of it behind the panel and all wiring to and from the unit will be invisible.For those of you who don't want to do that or have other things hanging off it, the company does a dual lead which gives you back a socket again for £8. I have a thing about things being flush or not visible when it comes to cables and usually splice and heat shrink rather than have big bulky sockets.. Just my preference I suppose.

David

David, more picking of your electronic brain again...(are you a robot?!)

I understand what you say about an OBD splitter and wiring effectively a slave port into the system by splicing in cabling behind the existing one.

However, I am sure I have read somewhere though that the output voltages and signals are so small that in some cases the OBD output can only power one device at a time and to ask it to do more than that will cause variable readings and possibly ecu unreliability.

Do you think that is just scare-mongering or could it be true?

I suppose a lot depends on what auxiliary units you are trying to operate through the port.

John

Hi John

OBD11 sockets are 16 pin. Pin 16 is 12volt permenant live and pin 4 chassis earth. The wires on the iQ are very thin but look good for 2 amps but depends how long they are pysically for a voltage drop to occur at 2 amps. The way to test it is to connect a digital volt meter from chassis to pin 16 and record it then plug all your equipment in and see if it drops. I would say that if it drops by 200mV i would consider powering your equipment from another source. If the equipment draws about 300mA then should be ok

As for corruptimg the data, the baud rate is usually 8192kbs. It depends if you are monitoring or sending data. I would expect most actions will be in a monitorimg state and only sending when changing data i.e re-setting engine management light. The equipment you would connect to the port would be high impedance meaning that if say one of the communication pins was 300 ohms resistance, by adding your equipment of 10,000 ohms it would not change the value of 300ohms hardly at all. I would suggest that unless you are doing heavy interigation of the ECU for say powee band mapreading and your not putting a big drain on the 12volts on pin 16 and 4 then you would be ok. The company selling the heads up display dont seem to think there will be a problem paralleling up on the socket hope this helps

David

Hi John

OBD11 sockets are 16 pin. Pin 16 is 12volt permenant live and pin 4 chassis earth. The wires on the iQ are very thin but look good for 2 amps but depends how long they are pysically for a voltage drop to occur at 2 amps. The way to test it is to connect a digital volt meter from chassis to pin 16 and record it then plug all your equipment in and see if it drops. I would say that if it drops by 200mV i would consider powering your equipment from another source. If the equipment draws about 300mA then should be ok

As for corruptimg the data, the baud rate is usually 8192kbs. It depends if you are monitoring or sending data. I would expect most actions will be in a monitorimg state and only sending when changing data i.e re-setting engine management light. The equipment you would connect to the port would be high impedance meaning that if say one of the communication pins was 300 ohms resistance, by adding your equipment of 10,000 ohms it would not change the value of 300ohms hardly at all. I would suggest that unless you are doing heavy interigation of the ECU for say powee band mapreading and your not putting a big drain on the 12volts on pin 16 and 4 then you would be ok. The company selling the heads up display dont seem to think there will be a problem paralleling up on the socket hope this helps

David

Thanks very much for all the info, David, which rings some very old bells. It was in the late 60s when I studied electrical engineering as a small part of my Mechanical Engineering degree course. I expect you probably studied mechanical engineering as a small part of your Electrical Engineering course!

Happy days, before the advent of the silicon chip, where would we be without it now?

Anyway, it seems the port can handle normal usage equipment using a splitter if so desired, so I will bear it in mind.

I look forward to hearing how your "non-blue" HUD behaves!

Thanks again,

John

Just wondering if the unit can be switched to display km per hr ?

Rgds

Claims it does

David

Hi John

David

Thanks very much for all the info, David, which rings some very old bells. It was in the late 60s when I studied electrical engineering as a small part of my Mechanical Engineering degree course. I expect you probably studied mechanical engineering as a small part of your Electrical Engineering course!

Happy days, before the advent of the silicon chip, where would we be without it now?

Anyway, it seems the port can handle normal usage equipment using a splitter if so desired, so I will bear it in mind.

Thanks again,

John

Cant wait got my soldering iron and screwdrivers all warmed up John have you seen my 'Duff fuel" follow up?

david

Depends on the size of the projector. I might re-house it in a smaller box. There is a small gap at the rear of the satnav/cd unit towards the windscreen. I will feed it invisibly from there. But it has to be blue or else.

David

Hi John

David

Thanks again,

John

Cant wait got my soldering iron and screwdrivers all warmed up John have you seen my 'Duff fuel" follow up?

david

Yes I did. Very interesting.

Makes me think of that TV programme "The IT Crowd" who are computer repair experts but their mantra is "have you tried switching it off, waiting for a bit, and putting it on again?".Always seems to work for them for whatever problem!

It is meant to be funny but there is a lot of truth in it.

So if an IQ acts up after fiddling with the electrics disconnect the Battery for at least 20 minutes to let the capacitors discharge, and then reconnect.I will remember that.

On an another electrical note, when I first hooked my Scangauge up to my first IQ a couple of years ago the car/alternator voltage when running, was varying between 14.7, expected under no load, and 12.3 which in my experience usually means problems.

I was away on holiday and just kept an eye on it and everything worked as normal but the reading kept round about 12.5 ish unless I put a load on the system when it would jump up to 14plus.

When I got home I wrote to Toyota GB to ask if this was normal and I got a telephone call by return explaining it is a new type of charging regulator system to help cut engine load and boost economy by causing the alternator to "electrically freewheel" when not required to produce output.

I have always been used to an alternator charging system maintaining a voltage of about 14.7 at all times unless a heavy drain is put on it, so that was a bit of a surprise and a bit worrying at the time when I first noticed the low reading.

The IQ does seem to be complicated little devil, full of surprises.

Will it be the ECU that controls that or the regulator built into the alternator, as in the old days?

John

John thr ECU monitors everything and controls thr charging so normal measuring would give the impression that you had either a diode pack or regulator intermittant fault. Constant eco monitoring makes things not as they seem. As far as i am aware, its not possible to 'super chip' the iQ because the data to and from the ECU is constantly being updated and adjusting the map. Thats probably why i had problems when disconnecting the Battery as it probably has to rebuild the last data it had in the ECU before de powering

David

John thr ECU monitors everything and controls thr charging so normal measuring would give the impression that you had either a diode pack or regulator intermittant fault. Constant eco monitoring makes things not as they seem. As far as i am aware, its not possible to 'super chip' the iQ because the data to and from the ECU is constantly being updated and adjusting the map. Thats probably why i had problems when disconnecting the battery as it probably has to rebuild the last data it had in the ECU before de powering

David

Yes, David that is what I mean, all the indications on the voltmeter would normally mean a fault situation, but actually all is well.

My current IQ displays exactly the same charging voltage behaviour as my previous IQ.

John

The Heads up display arrived today. I am VERY disappointed with it Firstly, the construction of the box display is poor. Even Maplin project boxes are far better quality.The display has visual signs of glue under the cover.The web site cleverly didn't show in detail the display unit. Rather than being a small aperture it is a 4.5 x3 inch display in a 2 inch deep crap ugly box. It relies on the proximity to the dash board to reflect the display.Not something you would like on you nice contoured dash board. So how did it perform? Well plugging it into the OBD11 socket briefly brought it to life as it went through its boot up sequence then went blank.

Using the 2 sheets of information I programmed the Rev counter which was a reasonably simple thing to do. After it rebooted to save the configuration, the screen again went blank. Reving the engine made no difference. So I wend for a drive, still no display. Tried various disconnections and re-connections, no difference.

Transferred the unit to my Peugeot 406 1998 model. The unit booted up but still no display and a quick drive revealed no change. Will contact the manufactures. It may be a faulty unit. One thing to think of, and i haven't checked their web site for compatibility, is that on the 406 the OBD11 socket is covered by a drop down panel which you can't leave down or close. It is a very poor after market add-on and although maybe electrical compatible , may not be physically compatible.

For me if it eventually works it may be able to remove it from its box and reduce the surround of the display and mount it in the back of the satnav cowling with all the wiring internal. OH and changing the LED's of course.

David

post-109788-0-84864700-1318073299_thumb.

post-109788-0-87463100-1318073338_thumb.

post-109788-0-14122300-1318073376_thumb.

post-109788-0-94200700-1318073437_thumb.

That's a bit of downer, think I will stick to my digital readout speed warning thing!

I tried that Garmin eco-route HD gadget that plugs into the OBD port and it kept electrically "dropping out", or freezing, too which was frustrating, so I went back to the Scangauge.

For those sort of prices you expect plug and play reliability, and not shoddy packaging.

Let us know what the manufacturers have to say.

John

That's a bit of downer, think I will stick to my digital readout speed warning thing!

I tried that Garmin eco-route HD gadget that plugs into the OBD port and it kept electrically "dropping out", or freezing, too which was frustrating, so I went back to the Scangauge.

For those sort of prices you expect plug and play reliability, and not shoddy packaging.

Let us know what the manufacturers have to say.

John

The website is a bit naff as well. No support section. Have filled in the contact us section for them to email me. I have tried it on out Verso as well which is also on their list no luck there either.

David

So there I was looking around and found an iPhone app that does speed and camera warnings etc. So got it and installed it and laid it on my dash on some of that rubber matting and took a picture. Its a bit blurred because i was driving and could not hold the camera still when the exposure was wide open but its very good. It takes data from the built in GPS receiver and gyroscope. Obviously it doesn't do rev's but thats not useful to me anyway because i have multi drive. but the speed camera option is good. Not sure about updating the data base but its a gadget so its good enough for me.

OH and nearly forgot its BLUE!!!!

post-109788-0-87491300-1318101256_thumb.

So there I was looking around and found an iPhone app that does speed and camera warnings etc. So got it and installed it and layer it on my dash on some of that rubber matting and took a picture. Its a bit blurred because i was driving and could not hold the camera still when the exposure was wide open but its very good. It takes data from the built in GPS receiver and gyroscope. Obviously it doesn't do rev's but thats not useful to me anyway because i have multi drive. but the speed camera option is good. Not sure about updating the data base but its a gadget so its good enough for me.

OH and nearly forgot its BLUE!!!!

I haven't heard back from HUD-E yet but think I might have made a mistake with the order. It would seem I ordered the wrong one, a 'K" model instead of a 'CAN" one will have to ring them Monday and plead stupidity.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links