Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice From Multidrive Owners Needed Please

DazIQ

Help!

I have ordered a new IQ with a manual gearbox and it's on the way , delivery end Oct. However, I have just had use this weekend of a bog standard 2009 multidrve and I have to say it's so easy to drive but I have to give it back tomorrow.

I am really tempted to pay the extra and get the auto now instead. BUT I would like to ask long term owners have you had any problems or regret buying the Auto? As I dont think 2 days use is enough time for me to find any flaws.

Thanks in advance.

I would say that you will really regret if you do not get the Multidive, a far superior vehicle.

Great to drive & perfectly suited to the engine.

have fun.

george

We have had an IQ3 multidrive for 18 months, no problems (apart from recalls !!)

It is very easy to drive, but a little strange compared with "gearbox" automatics. The engine races and nothing seems to happen until you find you are suddenly doing about 50 mph !

The only niggle we had, but learnt to live with, is that at 30 MPH on a slight slope, or wind behind you, you will find that you are travelling @ 40 mph as the IQ finds its "eco" speed. Wife nearly got a ticket second day of ownership in a 30 mph area.

If I had a 6 speed 1300 IQ, I would probably thrash it unmercyfully. At least in the auto, I do (sort of) behave my self. Its a lot quicker than some small cars (and some bigger ones too)

Rgds

Just to add it always amazes me how much stuff you can get into an IQ (Including grandchildren !)

I have had mine since June and although I have modified it with the custom exhaust and K&N filter, Its fantastic, I am one of these people who like progression I can't see why people still want manual cars other than fuel economy.and the pleasure of accelerating in every gear. For me who usually gets stuck in bad queuing traffic often, its a godsend.I had 2 auto granada's in the past and they were such a pleasure to drive. Shame they fell to pieces as did most Ford's of the time

If its possible and not too late I would change it for a multi drive

David

One of the reasons we chose the Toyota iQ Multidrive rather than other small autos such as the Fiat 500, Smart FourTwo and Renault Twingo, was that the iQ has a 'proper' automatic gearbox and will hold that car on a steep incline unlike the other three. It is also much smoother changing gears and a much more relaxing drive, especially in traffic, I would never return to a manual gearbox.

Thank you all - the only concern I have is the MPG - I have read a couple for threads where is it under 35 mpg which is pretty bad for a 1.0

To be fair i do give it some ..I would say that listening to the engine and knowing when it needs a little bit more and when to back off, would save you fuel Bearing in mind I have a K&N air filter and it drinks more fuel,I get on average 48mpg Is that any help?

David

Re

the thread on an iQ and getting only 35mpg.

Is this not about iQ's in the USA?

A US Gallon is less than a UK (imperial Gallon.)

So given on 3.72litres not 4.56

(10 miles to the litre is giving you 45mpg)

A 2011 Euro5 1.0 multidrive would need to be driven very hard to ever get below a 42mpg from as tankfull.

You should get over 50mpg without even trying,

as to a 1.3 iQ3, 40mpg plus is easy & really really hard driving is required to show 35mpg.

The gearbox can be used manually & still get good economy.

D is Drive.

S is Sport & enthusiastic driving or Slowing down or even Snow, you decide.

B brakes faster than S, Do not choose at too high a road speed.

Also can accelerate faster from being slowed down with B then change up S then D..

Just use like a sequential gearbox & it is a joy.

Drive according to the ECO light & you can decide to accelerate gradually & keep the light on,

or boot it up to speed with the light out, it goes out anyway in S.

then when up to speed lift off the throttle.

You can get 65mpg both ways.

55-60 is easily acheivable just driving doing your stuff in D.

To me every time getting in a iQ multidrive was a fun thing.

I have had only Autos for 35 years due to having one leg.

Every concievable auto.

Driven hundreds of types & go roadtest new ones every chance i get.

Only one has ever come near to being as good, a Fiat Punto Speepgear which was ahead of its time. i put it back after 3 years and regreted ever since..

Now being copied but not bettered IMO other than by the iQ CVT.

george

Hi,

Fuel consumption on our IQ3 Auto over 4,000 miles calculated on brimful fillups

Best fillup 46.80 mpg

Worst fillup 32.76 mpg

Average over 23 fillups 39.93 mpg

Usual driving is generally around town with the occasional longish run of 50 miles. (Once every two to three weeks)

Rgds

Just to add UK miles not the other sort ;-)

I test drove the manual 1.3 and after testing a iQ3 demo with multidrive, leather, navigation etc. I purchased that one and after 7 months of driving it, I know I made the right choice. It is really smooth around town and I have done a few couple of hundred mile journeys with 2 adults, 9 year old child and weekend bags with no problem. It easily keeps up on a motorway. And when the motorrway speed is raised to 80 mph, I don't see a problem with it keeping up then either. My wife has a 1.2 Fiat 500 and this cruises much better and has more acceleration. If it's possible to change to a multidrive, I would.

Well I cancelled my order today and the salesman at my local Toyota has been superb.

So for the same money as a new IQ manual he has managed to find me an IQ2 multimode with sports pack - parking sensors , leather, in silver with 2k miles on the clock registered December 2010. Pick it up Saturday. :thumbsup:

Well I cancelled my order today and the salesman at my local Toyota has been superb.

So for the same money as a new IQ manual he has managed to find me an IQ2 multimode with sports pack - parking sensors , leather, in silver with 2k miles on the clock registered December 2010. Pick it up Saturday. :thumbsup:

Well done  Having not driven the 1.0L, I can't comment on performance. Some here will say the 3 cylinder is just as quick as the 1.33, but on paper in the brochure it states it's about 4 seconds slower to 62mph and 93mph as opposed to 106mph on the iQ3.

I also have parking sensors and I would not be without them now. I think you also get climate control in the iQ2. This is very good and easy to use. The only thing that's a bug, is the interior light.

Went to see my car today - it has the new Black & White interior and the Black leather with white pipe. Looks lovely , got chrome pack too.

Whoever bought this car must has spent a tidy sum ! I noticed a scuff on the door so it is going to be repaired by the bodyshopthen having a full service done even though it has only covered 2000 miles since new. Oh and prev owner has 2 free sevice vouchers & I am getting £150 worth of free fuel.

So have to wait until next Sat to pick up.

Well done  Having not driven the 1.0L, I can't comment on performance. Some here will say the 3 cylinder is just as quick as the 1.33, but on paper in the brochure it states it's about 4 seconds slower to 62mph and 93mph as opposed to 106mph on the iQ3.

I also have parking sensors and I would not be without them now. I think you also get climate control in the iQ2. This is very good and easy to use. The only thing that's a bug, is the interior light.

You should have a look at my interior light modification. where i changed the 10th of a watt LED through a lens ,to a 3 watt LED and associated components. The results are amazing. Increased light output by 20 x. I f the light is a problem for people I am willing to offer a modification service. Below a some pic's of the comparison I did.

David

post-109788-0-81812900-1318710447_thumb.

post-109788-0-85094400-1318710488_thumb.

post-109788-0-30078000-1318710527_thumb.

post-109788-0-48340400-1318710586_thumb.

You should have a look at my interior light modification. where i changed the 10th of a watt LED through a lens ,to a 3 watt LED and associated components. The results are amazing. Increased light output by 20 x. I f the light is a problem for people I am willing to offer a modification service. Below a some pic's of the comparison I did.

David

Sounds interesting. What sort of cost and have you any photos of the light itself?

Hi there

Have a look at this link http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128078 It shows the mod I did to mine The interior light looks exactly the same and works the same, except the obvious upgrade of the resistor pack on the printed circuit board. Haven't thought much on the cost as i did it to show what can be done. But would be looking at £25 plus postage for the upgrade

David

Just got it home and I am really happy with it! Here are a couple of pics :thumbsup:

post-113096-0-58513700-1319289888_thumb.

post-113096-0-24228800-1319289972_thumb.

I have to say I am envious of the (white) panels. Even to the point of changing them out. But I'm looking at £1500 to purchase the panels Not sure i can justify it. Thanks for sharing the pics

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links