Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shift Light

Tx2

Just done some motorway driving from home to Gatwick and back - was suitably impressed by the IQ on the motorway (although I did miss my SR180!). The only thing that bugged me, was the gear "shift" down light was coming on when I was going up slight inclines, but doing 75 - 80mph! I was in 5th gear, the engine was revving at 4000rpm, and I really don't see why the car would ask me to drop down into 4th gear at those speeds!

Is this a fault maybe? Or a known 'quirk'?

You have to remember it is only a 1.0L petrol (assuming iQ1 or 2) and its official top speed is only 93 if I remember correctly. And I'm sure that is only in 4th gear, as in 5th gear it lacks sufficient power to hold 93mph or continue to accelerate further. So at 80mph, you are pushing close to its limit for 5th, and its no surprise that it will want to downshift. Obviously, the incline of the road and weather will all have an effect on what the car can and can't do.

You also have to remember that the shift light is only a guide. You, the driver, make the decision on what gear is best by how well the engine is responding and how much throttle you need to use to hold whatever speed.

I don't think the iQ was designed for high speed motorway use, but if you insist on doing those speeds, try super unleaded fuel and see if it makes a difference at high speed and high revs.

You have to remember it is only a 1.0L petrol (assuming iQ1 or 2) and its official top speed is only 93 if I remember correctly. And I'm sure that is only in 4th gear, as in 5th gear it lacks sufficient power to hold 93mph or continue to accelerate further. So at 80mph, you are pushing close to its limit for 5th, and its no surprise that it will want to downshift. Obviously, the incline of the road and weather will all have an effect on what the car can and can't do.

You also have to remember that the shift light is only a guide. You, the driver, make the decision on what gear is best by how well the engine is responding and how much throttle you need to use to hold whatever speed.

I don't think the iQ was designed for high speed motorway use, but if you insist on doing those speeds, try super unleaded fuel and see if it makes a difference at high speed and high revs.

I will rarely do those sorts of speeds to be honest, but thanks for the information. I love the iQ2 - my Auris SR180 was a super car, but I have to say for poodling round the city the way I do, the iQ is just spot on. I'll just have to remember that when I do go on the higher speed roads, I need to keep the speed down, which is fine by me :thumbsup:

Personally, I do try and use super unleaded, and being in the UK with our current speed limit of 70, I find cruising at 70 manageable with the iQ. If it really does start struggling in 5th I will put it in 4th. If the road and conditions are bad enough, it may even require 3rd. I recall one trip out when the winds were strong (70mph+) and going up a steep hill, I found myself going full throttle in 3rd gear at 70mph, with the car barely holding speed. This sort of thing is rare though. So long as the car is properly serviced and all, occasional bouts at max engine load will do no harm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links