Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-t-toyota Problem

Bigtoy

We have owned a Yaris 1.0 GS (VIN VNK KV12340A 037853) since October 2001. We imported it from a dealer in Belgium and I think it was made in France -but how do you tell?

I reported a slight fault with the engine to my local dealer early in the car's life. Basically, the car had a flat spot which made it difficult for me to move the car from standstill without stalling or over-revving. I told the garage that the tickover seemed to be set too low (showing 600rpm) and that this caused it to stutter and stall.

When pushed, the service manager said that the tickover speed could not be adjusted as it was sealed and that he had also experienced this. He said that there may be a recall, but it was unlikely.

So, we have a great car which is spoiled by this problem which is gradually getting worse. Does anyone out there know of a solution, a recall or a new engine management chip which could be fitted to eliminate the probem?????? :help:

I have been moaing about this problem too, you are right, i think taht the idle is far too low and should be about 800rpm. I will go to the dealer i think on Monday and have a moan about it.

I am sure that it will be just a change in the ECU so its just a plug into the laptop job for them

The tick over is set that low (and cant be adjusted) it all helps to give the overall mpg good for when your sat in traffic, lets face it if you are to buy a 'practical' car thats one of the first things you look at. All i would say is make sure its maintained and serviced reguly, and dont forget changing the spark plugs at 40k miles......

:thumbsup:

-Your car was made in France, VIN-number starting with a V is made in France, J is made in Japan.

-Since you speak of a flat spot, have you had the throttle position sensor checked, when pressing or depressing the throttle pedal you should have a smooth increase/decrease in resistance (Ohm)? Also is the fuel pressure good? Is the idle air/fuel mixture good (this can be adjusted)?

600 RPM for manual, or 700 RPM for automatic is normal but the engine should not stall when taking off.

yvvan.

Thanks Vvvan. I'll put it into my local Toyota agent and make sure he carries out those checks. I believe the fuel pressure is good -but I'm no expert- and not sure about the idle air/fuel mixture, although the tickover is steady.

The problem just occurs on pulling away from standstill. Unless you give it a lot of revs (say 2000+) it just dies and stalls. Otherwise, it's good to drive.

Bigtoy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links