Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adjustable Mirror Controls

marcandsebe

There are 2 things that annoy me with the iQ. The interior lighting (Plenty of info on the forum about that) and the adjustable mirror controls. Toyota have backlit everything except these. The engine stop start is permanently lit, the light height adjuster is backlit (I never use it), but the mirror adjusters and retractor buttons are not. And I use these very often. My wife's Fiat 500 is backlit on every button for nighttime use. If only they had a replacement, I would buy it.

There are 2 things that annoy me with the iQ. The interior lighting (Plenty of info on the forum about that) and the adjustable mirror controls. Toyota have backlit everything except these. The engine stop start is permanently lit, the light height adjuster is backlit (I never use it), but the mirror adjusters and retractor buttons are not. And I use these very often. My wife's Fiat 500 is backlit on every button for nighttime use. If only they had a replacement, I would buy it.

I did actually mention this when i changed all the amber LED'S in the dash and doors. I stripped down the mirror controls to see if they could be populated with LED's neither the navigation nor the direction,nor the folding button seemed to have room . even if i found some room the facia of the switch needed to have been etched out and be machined in opaque clear plastic. I will re-visit it to see what can be done . patching onto the illumination wires on the height adjustment is not a problem.

David

I did actually mention this when i changed all the amber LED'S in the dash and doors. I stripped down the mirror controls to see if they could be populated with LED's neither the navigation nor the direction,nor the folding button seemed to have room . even if i found some room the facia of the switch needed to have been etched out and be machined in opaque clear plastic. I will re-visit it to see what can be done . patching onto the illumination wires on the height adjustment is not a problem.

David

Had a look at the Prius you mentioned, It to doesn't have a back light also if it did, the panel doesn't have the button on it for bringing the mirrors in. going to see if i can back light the gaps around the buttons so at least it can be seen where they are. will up date

David

Thanks David. If anyone can do it, it must be you.

What about overhead LED lighting. (Above the switches)

Possibly, its difficult to buy LED' that shine down from being mounted in the panel above the switch. In the dark the bright light can saturate your vision and obscure you seeing the switches. Will take a good look to see what can be done. I think with the extra light in the cab you may be able to see the switches ok. But then again you may not want to have the cab lights on when parking in your garage.

David

Maybe something like THESE could be useful ?

A very good find Mark yes one of those would fit and very easy to fit.

David

You should be able to get them from a good car/bike parts shopwink.gif

You should be able to get them from a good car/bike parts shopwink.gif

Thanks mate will do nothing like a bit of lateral thinking

David

OK Have had look again at the switch panel . pictures below. It is possible to fit LED's under the mirror button and extend up into the L R switch and the IN OUT switch . need to get some micro wire to install them but I will . the last picture is of the LED's in position ish they are the white blocks. It won't display the logo's on the button but it should high-lite where they are.

Mark's LED's would be a lot easier but I like mine to be in keeping with the rest of the blue display. As usual will post results.

David

post-109788-0-24851200-1321967142_thumb.

post-109788-0-39641900-1321967186_thumb.

post-109788-0-35453100-1321967221_thumb.

post-109788-0-68834700-1321967256_thumb.

post-109788-0-05353100-1321967300_thumb.

Yea maybe blue ones.

Ok I am having to admit defeat on this one. There just isn't enough room in or around the "mirror" button to illuminate the thin area around the button and still get functionality of the button. In its travels the button takes up all the room under it. this last picture is of 4 LED's soldered to one strand of wire and plastic "welded" into position. It does give a ring of blue around the "mirror" button but the button can only make small movements. There are smaller LED's but to be honest I don't think there is room for those either. So I guess Mark's find is the only way at present i can see to illuminate them

David

post-109788-0-60601600-1321982006_thumb.

I might buy the blue glow in the dark toilet seat. It looks white during the day.

I wonder how hard wearing the glow paint is. Be interesting to see what you do with that.

I might buy the blue glow in the dark toilet seat. It looks white during the day.

I wonder how hard wearing the glow paint is. Be interesting to see what you do with that.

Well i guess if you sat on it reading war and peace, people would be able to see you glow see you glow when walked down the road .Wait till you see my car. you will want it. don't forget your sun glasses

David

I've looked at your photos David and it looks very cool. It must have been hard changing the78 LED bulbs.

I've looked at your photos David and it looks very cool. It must have been hard changing the78 LED bulbs.

It looks very daunting but I am very familiar with the technology and its second nature to me.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links