Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Silly Question - Whats The Benefit Of An Lsd?

Rikki

Just wondering what use the LSD has compared to a standard diff on my car.

Thats it really LOL.

R.

Less wheel spin of the mark too....2 things I noticed Al LOT going from a NON lsd Gen II to a LSD equiped Gen III was better launchs, and MORE control when I eventually do break lose..however the revised gen III suspension also plays a part in the 2nd thing :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

mines has lsd too but i dont have any experience in a non-lsd mr2 to compare it with unfortunately! i can still manage to fishtail the back if i apply boost in second gear just before exiting the corner..although this might be down the the 1mm of tread left in my rear tyres lol :unsure:

Think of it like 200m runners... the runner on the inside starts behind the one on the outside right! this is because he has less distance to run. Transfer this to your axle when you go round corners.... if it supplied power to both wheels evenly youd get the inside wheel spinning round as fast as the outside even though it has less distance to travel so you get excess tyre wear etc. A non lsd car has power going to whichever wheel is traveling fastest (fine when you are in a straight line as both wheels get even power - but round a corner? the outside wheel gets most of it) an LSD diff has a clutch in it that limits this slip.....

Does all that make sense. I hope im right aswell lol

day to day, i believe much better traction is what you'll notice most, if your a bit heavy with a n/a off the lights you'll sit spinning one wheel, with an LSD you have to be really abusive as it would spinn both wheels. When sliding also should be much more easily controlled, more Kart like.

rikki, just noticed your signature, unless someone lied to you and your cars not actually a rev3 you have an LSD as standard. Viscous i believe were pre rev3 optional extra then at rev3 they became standard. 1997 on all cars had helical LSD i'm told.

I have a viscous one in the post to me, still don't exactly 100% know if it'll fit or not, seems 50 /50 some say no, turbo box only other say yeah new left axle and some longer bolts and away you go.

Guy selling it based in jap says all the viscous LSD on all MR2s up to 1997 were the same and were standard on GTS and optional extras on G-Ltd and GT turbos 'till 93.

i know you can swap lsd's ie plate type to helical as i did it yesterday.

got the plate diff going spare as in a front wheel drive car it aint much fun! helical works better for me.

would have thought it would fit straight in as the casings are the same regardless of wether its a turbo or n/a. you will need a few special tools though if your stripping the box yourself

dawsy, will prob have it fitted at the same time my head gets done.

You'd go with a new left hand axle and bolts an i should be away then?

Hi rikki, saw your car in the park on sunday night, we drove in together.

(couldn't have timed it better!)

looks very smart. Happy motoring. Rico. B)

Hi rikki, saw your car in the park on sunday night, we drove in together.

(couldn't have timed it better!)

looks very smart. Happy motoring. Rico. B)

LOL

Aha! The man in the black MR2 !

You should have pulled over and introduced yourself!

R.

Hey rico do you have a tubby? You should meet up with us we can get major mr2 Turbo convoy action in Glasgow now! :yes:

dawsy, will prob have it fitted at the same time my head gets done.

You'd go with a new left hand axle and bolts an i should be away then?

might be the righthand shaft (longer one) i know when i swapped frome the torsion LSD to the helical one i had to change the RH shaft as didn't fit properly (about 20mm to short to snap in). if you give fensport a ring they might be able to tell you for sure

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links