Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multidive Reliability

fejao

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how reliable toyota's multidrive used in the IQ is over the longterm. Any opinions.

Regards

Scott.

To my knowledge they are totally reliable in an iQ for as long as they ave been fitted in iQ's.

Any mechanical components can have a failure though, correct maintance should be undertaken..

An engine & manual box will more likely require a new clutch at some point where an engine/CVT box with the same miles on should need no such expenditure.

Anything can be ruined by poor maintance & user abuse.

A really good CVT box when teamed with the very good 1.0, 3 cylinder engine.

Very good on winter roads, helped to be even better with suitable tyres.

I personally am not keen on the 1.3, 4 cylinder engine but the Mutidrive (CVT) box is still good.

george

Now have about 27.000 Kilometers on the clock (this is 16.875 Miles :nerd: )... thats in 1 year and 7 months..

CVT does hold out fine...

AND:

Not always... but often enough...

I dó use it as a brake... by putting it in S(sport?) or in H(hill?).... to slow down.. [ maybe you have other names for the gear-ratio, but you understand ]

And putting it in H(hill) to rev up and by 6.000 revs putting it in S or D.... :rolleyes:

The CVT does never complain... and also it shouldn't..

Peter

PS All the Prius's and other Hybrids have a form of CVT.... no complaints ever...

Best "power" versus "loss" ratio...

I do not know what happens with the generated heat?? There must be any....

Maybe David has any comment on this???

David?

UK Multidrives have, 'D' = 'Drive/full automatic CVT',

'S' could be 'Sport' or 'Snow', certainly works and you can knock between D & S for deceleratation & Acceleration.

(if your road speed is too high it will ignore you)

Then down from S to B = Brake. just extra deceleration/slowing down or start off in B and stop the box changing up.

(If you go down to B from S at too high a speed it may not ignore you, you will learn not to do this pretty quick)

You can switch off when required the VSC+,ABS stuff by holding down the Button for 5 seconds before starting off.

once you switch off the ignition it switches on again.

The owners manual does not explain very well, & sorry if i have not either.

Really rate this CVT box highly.

Roadtesters stuff about noisy etc is rubbish IMO,

you do not drive with a CVT box is the same way as you drive an 3 or 4 speed automatic with overdrive or a Robotised manual/semi automatic..Like a 'Peugeot 2 tronic' or Fiat/Citroen EGC.

Far better gearbox than a VW/Skoda/Audi/BMW DSG box. Again only IMO, driven them all though.

george

YES ... s44gtw,

I agree completely with you... CVT is thá Best...

The smaller 107 / C1 or Aygo does NOT have the CVT.... it's the robotised thing... brrr...

My wife has a Corolla Verso with the robotised automatic.... that is TERRIBLE....

Only, but only, if you drive with a twinaxle Uhaul (weighing about 1000 Kilograms) and till up to the legal 90 km/hr, it's worth the money...

But in the city, it changes gear like it has a life of it's own... ha ha ... strange decisions sometimes...

On roundabouts... ha ha ha ... turning a corner after a red light suddenly turns green ... ha ha ha ....

It has "time" requirements to make the decision... ha ha ha :censor:

Peter

Hey Everyone,

Nice to hear that your all so complementary about the CVT tranmission. I cant wait to get back to the UK and buy my new IQ 2 CVT :-) Hopefully its reliable in the longterm!

no complaints here from mine now at 16.534 Miles :eek: and 1 year and 5 months old

To my knowledge they are totally reliable in an iQ for as long as they ave been fitted in iQ's.

Any mechanical components can have a failure though, correct maintance should be undertaken..

An engine & manual box will more likely require a new clutch at some point where an engine/CVT box with the same miles on should need no such expenditure.

Anything can be ruined by poor maintance & user abuse.

A really good CVT box when teamed with the very good 1.0, 3 cylinder engine.

Very good on winter roads, helped to be even better with suitable tyres.

I personally am not keen on the 1.3, 4 cylinder engine but the Mutidrive (CVT) box is still good.

george

What's the reason for not liking the 1.33 4 cylinder? George. I have one with Multudrive and it's smooth and powerful enough. Multidrive is really good too.

I once had a 3 cylinder Daihatsu 1.0L GTti. It was great fun and much more powerful than the iQ1 & iQ2 as 0 to 60 mph came in at under 8 seconds. It had a Turbo on it. I just think a 4 cylinder will out last the 3. You only have to look at the Smart cars. 2 of my friends have them and even with regular servicing, have had the engines rebuilt. Mind you, they have probably come a long way with engines now. Take the 2 cylinder turbo Fiat 500.

Well.. about the Smarts... those are only the old and first 450 models.

They had a wrong designed turbo-exhaust piece .. that would crack .. due to expansion and shrinking due to cold and warmth..

I have one (from 2001) ... and indeed this model sometime needs servicing at older age (70.000 mile about).. I have now 75.000 mile on it.. and no problem what so ever.

Just the normal things.

And indeed ... you have to take care and to let the engine warm up / careful with the turbo at cold... Only press the pedal when warm!!!

But still.. it's fun to drive... I miss the turbo on the iQ... would have been much better!!!

th_P1040922.jpg

With the winter-tires...

Well.. about the Smarts... those are only the old and first 450 models.

They had a wrong designed turbo-exhaust piece .. that would crack .. due to expansion and shrinking due to cold and warmth..

I have one (from 2001) ... and indeed this model sometime needs servicing at older age (70.000 mile about).. I have now 75.000 mile on it.. and no problem what so ever.

Just the normal things.

And indeed ... you have to take care and to let the engine warm up / careful with the turbo at cold... Only press the pedal when warm!!!

But still.. it's fun to drive... I miss the turbo on the iQ... would have been much better!!!

th_P1040922.jpg

With the winter-tires...

£4000 gets you a turbo. few more root canals and your there

David

Having recently bought my iQ I also test drove the Smart, but it was a Brabus version. ;)

My reason for going for the iQ over the Smart was the build quality, but I do miss those little paddle shifters and rocking horse body roll when driving away. :(

Fish

£4000 gets you a turbo. few more root canals and your there

David

Ha ha David... In Holland we have to work to about 8.000 pounds... to keep 4.000 pounds netto in the hand.... Taxes and stuff... :crybaby:

So no... NOT that easy.. but I get your point.... ;)

Peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links