Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture Proofing

barrycoll

has anybody considered doing something to make a puncture less likely???

in my last Smart4Two, I had the tyres injected with Ultraseal, and had no problems for 4 years..this was done by Chequered Flag over near Blue Water

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=4&MMN_position=4:4

...of course, I may not have had any problem anyway!!

has anybody actually used the IQ repair kit and inflater successfully????

cheers barryc

in my last Smart4Two, I had the tyres injected with Ultraseal, and had no problems for 4 years..this was done by Chequered Flag over near Blue Water

http://www.ultraseal...MN_position=4:4

cheers barryc

Never heard of it tbh... How much do they rush you per wheel for this?

I didnt give the Temperary Puncture repair kit the opportunity to take up space/weight in the iQ.

Since the tyre will still be requiring a repair, i could not be bothered with it.

You need to reduce your speed & go get the tyre checked & repaired or replaced anyway.

A can of tyre weld is £6, nice and simple

and fine for a very quick repair to get you to a Tyre repair or replacment centre.

Only useable if you have punctured the tread & not much use if a sidewall was to be damaged.

I have used proper commercial mouse (Expensive)on offroad speed event vehicles, but that was to be able to carry on untill its possible to get a spare wheel fitted.

george

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=4&MMN_position=4:4

cheers barryc

I think there have been a few posts regarding this over the last couple of years.

If I remember correctly the inflator has worked OK for some people, as long as the tyre has stayed on the rim, but not all tyre repair places want to work with a tyre containing the sealant stuff, which could mean a new tyre is needed unless you have the time to shop around and find a place willing to wash the stuff out before repairing the puncture, and also the cost of replacing the sealant itself can be quite expensive.

Certainly if bought from MrT.

£50ish, if I remember correctly.

John

in answer to Taff, well too much would be the one that springs to mind, at £10 per wheel...

on the other hand, if it stopped me being marooned on the side of the M1 on a rainy night, then £40 is cheap

what you say is true George that TyreWeld is cheap, but its getting the puncture in the first place that is a mini-disaster, in these cars with no spare....running it fully deflated may be the safest option in some situations, as long as its 'only' a new tyre needed and not a buggered rim as well

the Ultraseal website is convincing, especially the video clip of the bloke on the Big Bike giving it some, with nail studded tyres.....good for black ice I suppose...

statistically, one can expect a flat every 7 years, on an average 10k annual miles............but it could happened tomorrow, and somewhat spoil ones day!

cheers barryc

in answer to Taff, well too much would be the one that springs to mind, at £10 per wheel...

on the other hand, if it stopped me being marooned on the side of the M1 on a rainy night, then £40 is cheap

what you say is true George that TyreWeld is cheap, but its getting the puncture in the first place that is a mini-disaster, in these cars with no spare....running it fully deflated may be the safest option in some situations, as long as its 'only' a new tyre needed and not a buggered rim as well

the Ultraseal website is convincing, especially the video clip of the bloke on the Big Bike giving it some, with nail studded tyres.....good for black ice I suppose...

statistically, one can expect a flat every 7 years, on an average 10k annual miles............but it could happened tomorrow, and somewhat spoil ones day!

cheers barryc

Thanks for the reply...

I'm not sure that I could justify that kinda money tbh... But I'm guessing that its worth it when your in the middle of nowhere and stranded. But thats why I pay my £100 a year to the RAC so if that happens they cover the whole car and take me to Scotland if I wanted them to.

I guess you pays your money and takes your chance! :thumbsup:

We picked up our "Scion" iQ last week, they just started delivery on the west coast. Usual comments, noisy at full throttle and CVT takes some getting used to BUT great car and I know we're going to love it.

I asked the dealer about Run Flat tires but they weren't able to provide any help there so looked on the web and found some that we may consider. Pirelli and Bridgestone offer 205/55R16 but need a 6"-7.5" wide rim. The stock steel rim is 5" wide and I haven't been able to find out the rim width of the standard accessory rims I've ordered from Scion. If they're wide enough we may go for the run flats to reduce the anxiety.

What happened to those airless tyres on Tomorrows World that Michelin invented 'eh?? :lol:

The 'Airless' Push bike tyres feel rubbish frankly.

I happen to prefer an iQ on 15" rims rather than 16" just for that bit more rubber

with slightly taller sidewalls on bad road surfaces.

I can not imagine what 'Run flat' tyres will be like on an iQ unless used on good roads,

Run flats do no give a very nice or comfortable ride on a Mini IMO,

dread to think what they would be like on an iQ.

re Winter tyres.

Anyone using them needs to check the recommender pressure in cold weather.

Possibly higher than you usual/summer tyre presssure.

george

Our Scion iQs all come with 16" rims and 175/60R16 Goodyear Assurance tires. I do agree that the run flats are harsh, our Lexus came with them and when time came I swapped them out but the Lexus also came with a spare.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links