Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mk3 Swerving

Bewdy

Hi, I have just purchased a 2 year old MR2 Mk3, and the car seems great other than when I accelerate hard the car swerves quite a lot to the right, then tries to correct itself when I take my foot off the accelarator. This is most noticable when I change gear on the motorway.

I've been advised that the car may need a 4 wheel alignment doing, or that it may simply be becuase there is a slightly different tyre on the back off the car. Though I would have thought these problems would affect the breaking also? (which seems fine).

Does anyone have any experience of this...... my worst thought is that the car may have been pranged, but it was HPi clear when i bought it, and the dealers maintains that it has never been in an accident.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it could be a wheel alignment problem. When breaking the front wheels do most of the work but it sounds like the problem might be at the back. Have you checked the tyre pressures are correct????

alignment is the likely cause, could also be tyre pressure/ware or you could have a leaky / knackered shock on one side.

All of the above are true: But I've nevere heard of this kind of wandering on a mk3, which makes me thing something might be loose in the suspension...

However before assuming the worst, a few basic checks...

First things first, The mk3 is notoriously sensitive to tyres, I for one would never mix different makes on the same car, or only replace 2 tyres at a time. It ruins the handling, and makes the car chore rather than a pleasure to drive.

So, are both rear tyres the same size at least? If not then get a new set. Toyo Proxes are recomended, as are Bidgestone SO-3 Pole positions.

Yes its expensive, but you bought the car for the handling didnt you?

Also tyre pressure's are critical, only a couple of psi difference is required to wreck the balance of the car and have it lurching all over the road...

Pressures ok? 26psi front, 32 rear.

For the £70 or so that its costs, its worthwhile having a full wheel alignment carried out anyway, as it transforms the handling of the car. Make sure you take it somewhere decent though, as you could drive a bus through the main Toyota dealers tolerances for camber and toe. I use Elite in Rainham, as although they are a mecca for Nova driving halfwits, they do seem to know how to align suspension properly. At the very least the alignment will highlight any problems in the car.

In case you need to know, (some garages don't) the front is adjustable for camber and toe, rear is adjustable for toe only.

Best of luck...

Thanks for all the replies. I have taken the car back to the garage where it was purchased and sure enough the tracking was out by 4mm, which I was told was a lot. They also swapped the back tyre which was the black sheep of the family. On top of that I getting a new pair of front bridgestones, so fingers crossed when I pick it up the car should drive in a straight line.

Cheers

• 8 months later...

I test drove a MR2 Turbo on the motorway which did exactly the same thing - every time I accelerated hard it changed lane by itself - pretty handy if you ask me!!. Turned out it was a loose nut on a suspension arm - once tightened it was fine. I'd take the rear wheels off and make a thorough check with an inspection lamp.

Guys dont get confused with Torque steer and general faults, if i slam on the acceleration from first i get a little wobble in the back end, but ONLY kicking off in first

sometimes it doesnt happen it does depend on the road you are accelerating on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links