Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Momo Steering Wheel Help!

Titto

Hi all,

I've just bought a MOMO champion sterring wheel from Halfords for £75.

They're ordering the horn button in black for me and this should be in next week.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/images/momos21.jpg

It didnt come with the fitting kit/boss or the horn in the middle. Does the horn come with the surrounding circular bit that goes over the horn - the bit shown in the pics with the allen bolts in them???

So, what do i need to be ordering when i go to ROMAC ????

I think i remember a few of you saying something about this a while a go?

Thanks again you pool of imformants!!!

Cheers

Adam :thumbsup:

Cheers for that, very helpful.

BUT - Jimlad, maybe you can help with this - I went through the computer system at Halfords and all the MOMO boss's are listed just as TOYOT - they dont indicate MR2 specific - i was advised to go elsewhere to get the boss.

Im also worried about the following (mentioned in me 1st post):

imagine you have got the wheel on the sterring column no probs, the horn is in place....

its the circular bit that goes over that, where you screw the bolts into - thats what is now worrying me!!! If it doesnt come with the horn i've ordered im screwed arent i?

make sure they don't give you a toyota generic one as you do not a MR2 specific one. They do have them listed... obviously they are just spakkas !

As for the bit you are on about, you will need this. Don't know if it will come with the horn button or not though as the wheel I bought had the button etc included !

CHeers and Bugger!

I basically got this wheel for £75 quid as it didnt have the horn (and obviously this missing bezel thingy) and it was knocked down to £150 from £250. I then managed to get him to order a new horn and give me the lot for £75!!! so all i have to do now is order that bezel thingy - does anyone know what size allen bolts i need to buy please - lenth, width etc.

Thanks all - yet again!

Adam

(any recomendations of how to get this part - should i just e-mail momo?!)

Why not call Momo and talk to them about it. Now I don't have any direct Experience with MR2 steering wheels, but I do have a lot of experienc with steering wheels on other cars. The wheel itself should just bolt on. Indeed the workshop manual supports this. The only problem I can see you're going to have is the fact that the horn being in the centre of the wheel, it will contain two contact bushes that will have to line up with the tracks that surround the nut. Now I suspect that this is different on each car, so you will have to find out which is suitable for an MR2. I presume this is what you mean by the bezel. I suspect there are several for different cars.

Right,

I've had a couple of results here:

First someone has said contact Demon Tweeks on 0845 330 6242 and hopefully they can sort out the central bit for me....

2ndly:

· What’s the correct Momo boss part number?

To avoid disappointment, check that your supplier gives you the correct boss kit first time. The MR2 requires a boss with a cut out for the horn connector. The MOMO part number is 12112117728

· How to fit an after market wheel?

Before starting, ensure wheels are in straight ahead position and check that the new boss has a rectangular cut-out in it for the horn socket. (MR2 is different to the regular Toyota boss)

Firstly, gently pull the centre pad off the Toyota wheel. Underneath the pad you’ll see the frame that the centre pad clipped on to. Remove it by undoing the screws. You can now disconnect the horn wire.

With a suitable sized socket and ratchet, loosen the centre nut, but don’t remove it! Pull the wheel sharply to free it from the splined steering column (had you removed the centre nut fully you would now have a broken nose!). You can now remove the nut and steering wheel.

Fit the boss to the wheel and ensure that the horn earthing ring that is supplied with the boss is sandwiched between them both.

Install the boss onto steering column in straight-ahead position.

You will need to cut the wire and plug off of the old horn push button and fit a 15 amp female spade connector onto bare end of wire. Plug in horn connector and slide the female spade connector onto the centre connection on the new horn push button.

Now connect the earth wire (supplied with boss) onto the other connector on the horn push button and connect the other end onto the earthing ring on the boss.

Ensure that the centre nut is nice and tight and clip the horn push button into place on the steering wheel centre. Finally, check the horn works and ensure that the allen bolts on the steering wheel are tight. After a few days, check that the allen bolts are still nice and tight.

I've sorted out all my worries now everyone (hurray)!!!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/pr...121&from=search

This is a link to demon tweeks and they also sell the correct boss - so i'll order the stuff through them tomorrow.

SOrry to be a pain with all this, but hopefully its been useful not just to me!

Laters

Adam

Hey mate, you haven't been a pain at all! The whole point of a forum is to solve problems. We all try to help in our own ways!! :). By contacting Demon tweaks and writing down what they said, you've given something back to everyone else too :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if you need to attach an earth to the back of the momo horn?

The original Toyota one just has one wire coming from the hub to the horn. Whereas the MOMO horn has 2 connectors on the rear of it?

HELP PLEASE!!!!

If it is anything like the wheel I got from Canada the second wire as you say goe's to the wheel as a earth our h/button is all pastic hope this helps Paul

On joins the boss and the other joins the horn button ..

The horn must have the earth wire connected otherwise it will not work. I connected mine between the wheel and the boss onto the allen bolt, at first it didn't work because the connection wasn't good enough so I had to use abbrasive paper to reveal the metal then it worked fine. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Sorted it now!

The original wheels earth is built into the wheel whereas this new momo one required a new seperate wire. I just linked those up to the two spare spade connectors and jobs a good'un!

Thanks all!

Adam

.....now onto momo pedals, handbrake etc - any info on MR2 specific ones????

Hi I saw my mate at Halfords and bought an end of line Momo Tuner steering wheel without boss for £25 should have been £75 ( I bought the car with a boss on it but with a crap wheel on it)

I ended up having a Ripspeed horn in the middle so plenty different horns fit.

I had the problem with the bolt Countersunk or Not, so I took the whole wheel and fitting to the local hardware store who made me the bolts to fit for a measly £10 it now looks the dogs nads !!!!!! good luck :yes::yes::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links