Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are There Known Issues With 2007 1.8 Vvti Engine

T5NELtim

Hi all,

Looks like an informative and friendly board here. Just want to know if the problems will have been ironed out in a 57 plate 1.8 VVTi.

I am about to take the plunge and buy an Avensis. For various reasons I have chosen to go petrol over diesel and have been looking at 1.8 VVTI engined hatches in the 2007 - 2008 vintage. I plan to buy a 30k miler from a main dealer for the toyota fsh and warranty.

Couple of Q's

1)Have all the problems with regards to oil consumption / bottom end failure been ironed out? I have read that this engine should be OK but was wondering if there is anecdotal evidence that this version of the 1.8 VVTI will go to starship mileages e.g taxi drivers etc - or conversely if people are still seeing high consumption and associated problems. I don't want to do 250k on the engine but would like to think that is not at all likely to fail at 80k if well maintained.

2)What is the official oil change and service schedule on these is it 10k or 20k? I have read both and am confused. I quite often change the oil twice as often as stated as I am a bit anal like that...

3)Anything to check for???

Thanks in advance

Tim

Hi all,

Looks like an informative and friendly board here. Just want to know if the problems will have been ironed out in a 57 plate 1.8 VVTi.

I am about to take the plunge and buy an Avensis. For various reasons I have chosen to go petrol over diesel and have been looking at 1.8 VVTI engined hatches in the 2007 - 2008 vintage. I plan to buy a 30k miler from a main dealer for the toyota fsh and warranty.

Couple of Q's

1)Have all the problems with regards to oil consumption / bottom end failure been ironed out? I have read that this engine should be OK but was wondering if there is anecdotal evidence that this version of the 1.8 VVTI will go to starship mileages e.g taxi drivers etc - or conversely if people are still seeing high consumption and associated problems. I don't want to do 250k on the engine but would like to think that is not at all likely to fail at 80k if well maintained.

2)What is the official oil change and service schedule on these is it 10k or 20k? I have read both and am confused. I quite often change the oil twice as often as stated as I am a bit anal like that...

3)Anything to check for???

Thanks in advance

Tim

Looks like I might have just answered my own question...Avensis built after July 2005 from VIN SB1BR56L90E129522.

The source of this is here which looks like a legit Toyota document but I found it via google so can not speak for the provenance!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0TEXaT-W88kNWY0OGQwNmYtM2NmNi00MWNmLWFhNmYtNDk0YmYyNjBiMDYx&hl=en_US

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

The earlier 1.8's as described in the doc had issues, i cant recall seeing many threads on late previous model Avensis's on here. Except for the never ending Diesel issues.

I would like to think a petrol Toyota is a sound choice :yes:

Just put down a deposit on a 1 owner 57 plate 1.8 VVTi TR hatchback in decuma grey for a Mr T dealer. Lots of toys and looks the part, just hope it is just a matter of keeping the girl serviced.

There seem to be SO may issues with ALL modern diesels once they are past warranty these days (DPF, DMF, injectors) I had to get rid of a TDCi mondeo for those reasons as it was uneconomical to repair at 5 yrs old 70k on the clock! All manufacturers are trying to have too much cake and eat it in terms od power, CO2, refinement and emissions.

Looking forward to it - first toyota since my 94 Carina...

Tim

My 07 1.8 has had absolutely no problems, allbeit only covered 37K miles so far.

Oil/Filter change at 10k "Health and Safety check" in Mr.T's language (£126 for mine 2 months ago), full service at 20K intervals. According to on-board computer MPG reads 43.5 in the 3.5years I've owned the car, and I've no reason to disbelieve it.

Good luck with the car.

Just put down a deposit on a 1 owner 57 plate 1.8 VVTi TR hatchback in decuma grey for a Mr T dealer. Lots of toys and looks the part, just hope it is just a matter of keeping the girl serviced.

There seem to be SO may issues with ALL modern diesels once they are past warranty these days (DPF, DMF, injectors) I had to get rid of a TDCi mondeo for those reasons as it was uneconomical to repair at 5 yrs old 70k on the clock! All manufacturers are trying to have too much cake and eat it in terms od power, CO2, refinement and emissions.

Looking forward to it - first toyota since my 94 Carina...

Tim

Can't agree more re the Diesels, if i was buying a car and planning to keep it for the long haul i would go Petrol. Or get an extended manufacturer warranty, and they arent cheap!

Good luck with the Avensis, stick a pic up when you get it :thumbsup:

My 07 1.8 has had absolutely no problems, allbeit only covered 37K miles so far.

Oil/Filter change at 10k "Health and Safety check" in Mr.T's language (£126 for mine 2 months ago), full service at 20K intervals. According to on-board computer MPG reads 43.5 in the 3.5years I've owned the car, and I've no reason to disbelieve it.

Good luck with the car.

If your read out is accurate,then your very lucky,as they are more than often optimitic.

Try using fuelly and compare.

Good luck with the car.

Ditto, ditto. 46k on my 2007 Avensis petrol. Hasn't missed a beat and serviced from new by Mr T. Only flaw is dim interior/instrument lighting plus I drove the car with headlights pointing to the ground which was only discovered when being prepped for MOT - when I complained to dealer at forst service about poor headlights I was fobbed off with 'that's common with the model'. Ridiculous and annoyed that I had to endure the problem for 3 years!

Good luck with the car.

Ditto, ditto. 46k on my 2007 Avensis petrol. Hasn't missed a beat and serviced from new by Mr T. Only flaw is dim interior/instrument lighting plus I drove the car with headlights pointing to the ground which was only discovered when being prepped for MOT - when I complained to dealer at forst service about poor headlights I was fobbed off with 'that's common with the model'. Ridiculous and annoyed that I had to endure the problem for 3 years!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links