Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Torque Pull?

Navin1978

Hi,

I have a 2002 Corolla CE. I just got new tires installed Firestone affinity P175/65. Since then I have noticed that the car pulls to the left when I floor the gas. It does fine when I'm cruising at constant speed. I got the alignment checked, just in case, but this logically doesnt seem to be that, and the alignments and the balance were fine. The car guy told me that it could be something called torque pull where the transmission powers up one wheel earlier than the next - is that possible? I always thought there was supposed to a lock preventing something like that from happening. What could I do to fix this, short of replacing the transmission?

Thanks a bunch,

Navin

Hi Navin1978

This is quite common mate. It's called torque steer. This happen when you accelerate really fast and the car naturally pulls to the left hand side. I wouldn't worry about this to much mate. Just means that you car has got a good amount of torque :thumbsup: The ford focus Rs is evil for this. This car pulls like brad pitt would in a singles bar. And thats all down to the power mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

All the front wheel drive cars have torque steer when you get on it. Some pull right some left, depends on the engine and transmision setup.

from what i can remember the YTS pulls to the right, bit weird at 1st but you soon learn to compensate for it.

My GTi is excessively bad with this! And when I change gear whilst flooring it I often forget that I am compensating the torque steer and the opposite happens. The MOT guy guy did give me a caution on the alignment of my wheels (saw excessive tyre wear on inside treads of front tyres) so hopefully once this is done the torque steer will lesses slightly!

its all down to the fact that the left hand drive shaft is shorter than the right and as such more torque goes through it. my rolla now has equal length driveshafts and a limited slip diff but it still pulls like a b**ch when it comes on boost in the lower gears :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links