Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Steering Rack ?

Jimlad

ok.. a while back I had the car in at calder racing and they said the n/s ball joint end or something has some slight play in it and could be replaced.

I had the car at toyota yesterday who said the steering rack had some play in it and will need replaced eventually.

Steering rack is £900 !!!!!!

Could the ball joint be simply replaced ? Are toyota trying to fleece me ??

Mr T charged me £50 to check my brake pads !!! WTF !!!

you could say they saw you coming.... :D

ball joints do go if you throw the car about £33 each and about 30mins each labour when i had mine done.

If it is steering rack get a 2nd hand one.

I would get someone else i.e. independant mechanic to confirm the diagnosis first - since Toyota said this to me, but when the brother and I took a closer look, the rack was fine, just needed some adjustment. If it is the rack, they I agree with Steve, get a 2nd hand one. Rogue or Toyota Celica Breakers or Club MR2 should have one.

Interesting - let us know how you get on.....

Rash

I think they are talking pants jimlad. you car has low miles how the hell could it have given up so soon. And they do free safety inspections shouldnt ave charged you nowt. They see a modded car and know youll pay to make sure its ok.they are taking you for a ride imo get a 2nd opinion m8.

I am gonna mate... I should FINALLY !!! have my HSK SSQV bov here soon. When I do, I'll get the garage to check out the steering rack etc. Mr T Rippoffs !

Jimlad, has the car ever been crashed or have you had any front end bumps??? Just a thought?

Another thought, do you regularly travel along uneaven, bumpy roads. This could cause extra wear on the rack.

Jimlad, has the car ever been crashed or have you had any front end bumps??? Just a thought?

LOL!!! He had a £2000 prang a few months ago didnt you Jimlad!

Anyway James.. £900 isnt that bad.. you love spending money on your car!

yeah... but it was all rear end damage. Just a worn ball joint thingy me thinks... will get another garage to check it.

You do want to make sure the rack is sound though, it could be very dangerous if you lost all steering/steering precisaion at high speed!

Come on mate, you've spent a fortune on non maintenance things, surely you can afford to maintain the car?? If not I would suggest you spend a little more wisely in future. I always keep a float of money for maintenace since you can never be sure when a disaster is looming!! It's a pain I know, but part of owning a car - I've just had to replace the alternator on mine for quite a considerable cost I might add!!.

Jimlad,

This spooked me out big time!....so i thought id better mention it!

Just not long dealt with an accident at Agard Street (you used to live there?) where a blokes MR2(!!!) had crashed into a parked car.

The steering rack was at fault - it went completely and poor MR2 man lost total control.

There was a 306 (51 plate) that i've seen this happen to before about 2 months ago, but that was a nasty high speed accident - but thought id better warn you - in fact all of us -!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links