Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used Toyota Iq Buyer's Guide?

morgie

UPDATE: In case you're here also looking for points to watch for when buying an IQ, here's the summary from the thread (I'll try and keep it updated if new information is added - thanks to those who contributed):

1. Recall #1 – For the brakes, - the brakes are known to bind and not work properly. View more details on recalls on the VOSA website here.
  2. Recall #2 – Steering. View more details on recalls on the VOSA website here.
  3. Recall #3 – faulty accelerator. An early recall to check for a faulty accelerator pedal which applied to a limited number of cars. View more details on recalls on the VOSA website here.
  4. Top of the driver and passenger door window guide rubber creases and the glass drags it into the gap.
  5. EGR valve on older models causes hesitation on pulling away.
  6. Older models, no proper method of capturing the rear seatbelt clips means they tap against the body.
  7. Front seatbelt clips sometimes get caught in the door as the gap for them to retract is narrow
  8. Older model only has one pull to close the doors which can be hard (second one added 2010).
  9. Roof seam covers seem to curl up at the ends (easily remedied
  10. Some report front lights not bright enough.
  11. Nearly forgot interior light very poor and no rear light to assist loading from the rear (shopping).
  12. "Limited to 60mpg" trip computer fault.
  13. Replacement fuel filler and tank unit for when the fuel gauge goes crazy.
  14. A rust trail coming from under the rear tailgate handle/catch due to something inside rusting and staining the paint surface.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello,

Before I start, I have tried searching - if you can point me to existing threads that's obviously great,....

I'm looking for some advice on buying a used IQ, not for myself, but the parents. Aside from the usual car checks I'm looking for IQ specifics, please assume I know nothing about them :donatello: e.g.

* Known faults

* Choice of models (engines, kit levels, optional extras to watch for etc)

* Did they come with three keys?

* ....etc

Thanks very much for any help.

Hi, since nobody else has replied, i assume they may be thinking the same as me.

Just go back through a few pages of this section on this forum.

Everything is covered regarding UK iQs from the beginning to the later 2011 models.

Have fun looking for a vehicle, there are a good few to go for but the choice is certainly reducing as people catch onto them now.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

seeing what is actually available for sale gives as good an idea what each model has fitted as standard or options.

Just check that all re-calls have been done.

You only need to look back a few weeks at iQ section posts to see what they are and any other issues.

george

PS i dont think i have ever read a 'Buyers Guide' (other than on Owners clubs forums) that has been written buy anyone that actually has ever owned or had a serious interest in the vehicles they write about.

An opening there for a iQ owner.

Problem is if they have only bad ones, or have been lucky and had only good ones.

Here you get a taste of everything but only from iQ owners that use the Intranet thingy.

The two recalls being brakes and steering.

Also, top of the driver and passenger door window guide rubber creases and the glass drags it into the gap.

EGR valve on older models (causes hesitation on pulling away)

Older models, no proper method of capturing the rear seatbelt clips means they tap against the body

Front seatbelt clips sometimes get caught in the door as the gap for them to retract is narrow

Older model only has one pull to close the doors which can be hard (second one added 2010)

Roof seam covers seem to curl up at the ends (easily remedied

Some report front lights not bright enough

Nearly forgot interior light very poor and no rear light to assist loading from the rear (shopping)

But still a great outstanding car!!!

David

The two recalls being brakes and steering.

Also, top of the driver and passenger door window guide rubber creases and the glass drags it into the gap.

EGR valve on older models (causes hesitation on pulling away)

Older models, no proper method of capturing the rear seatbelt clips means they tap against the body

Front seatbelt clips sometimes get caught in the door as the gap for them to retract is narrow

Older model only has one pull to close the doors which can be hard (second one added 2010)

Roof seam covers seem to curl up at the ends (easily remedied

Some report front lights not bright enough

Nearly forgot interior light very poor and no rear light to assist loading from the rear (shopping)

But still a great outstanding car!!!

David

If I remember correctly David, there was an early recall to check for a faulty accelerator pedal which applied to a limited number of cars.

I know mine wasn't included but a number were, apparently.

So that makes 3 recalls if we haven't missed any others.

There also was the issue of the "limited to 60mpg" trip computer fault, and a replacement fuel filler and tank unit for when the fuel gauge goes crazy.

And a rust trail coming from under the rear tailgate handle/catch due to something inside rusting and staining the paint surface.

John

Thanks all for the useful information, especially the points on the recalls. I've summarised the main points as an edit in the top message, it was what I was looking for really, a consolidated list, so hopefully it may prove useful to others also.

I'll pass the info on and let you know how they get on.

Just to add, any big differences or recommendations between the 1ltr and 1.3ltr?

horses for courses mate. personally i think it depends on what you want to do with it, mostly motorways and dual carriageway go for a 1.3 (1 did), shorter / urban stuff , you probably better off with the 1.0. although drivers of the 3 potter do say they're good on distance work. there is a differance in mpg . my 1.3 does 55-60 summer and 49-52 winter, the 1.0 does better than that and is zero road tax and the 1.3 is 35 quid. 1.3 is a 6 speed g/box and the 1.0 is a 5 speed.

try both types first before you buy, and make sure you get it on roads you're going to use , i told the toyota dealer i wanted to try it on motorways and she insisted on going on backroads, and mine spends most of its life on the a14 and m6.

Not sure about those MPG claims, as my 1.0 would be towards the lower 40's with mostly city driving. I have however taken it on the motorways a couple of times and it will sit at 70mph without much of an issue, well until you get to a nasty hill. ;)

Fish

Oeps...

Last days a lot of driving long distances..due to families matters...

The iQ uses about 6,8 tot 7,4 liters on the 100 kilometers...

A lot of speed driving 70 mph.. during harsh weather and strong wind...

Normally it would be under 5... 4,7 or so... but look at this:

Even 7,8... that is high... using cruise-control...

P1050499.jpgP1050500.jpgP1050501.jpg

Cruise control..... whats that? ;)

Not on my model. :( Its the one thing I really think is missing.

Fish

Cruise control..... whats that? ;)

Not on my model. :( Its the one thing I really think is missing.

Fish

Yes... CC is very handy... unfortunately it's a later build in thing. And low left of the steeringwheel... you really have to reach down to activate... one gets used to it... AND it has 3 pre-adjustable-speed-settings...

In the T. Verso it is a little switch at your fingertip....

Oeps ... turns out I use the wrong photo's... somebody bettered me that I should use the AVG petrol usage.

So I took some photo's this morning...

Of course it's all Kilometers .... NOT in Miles.

P1050504.jpg

P1050505.jpg

P1050506.jpg

P1050507.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links