Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cvt Multidrive..

barrycoll

there has been a couple of threads related to IQ auto box, and s44GT summed up most aspects with his overview of the use of the S and B gear shift positions...

as my wife is now doing her IAM training in our IQ, she has been asked to flick the lever into S for more acceleration, as when entering a large roundabout, with a small (and closing) window of opportunity..

in my experience S knocks the revs up on the rev counter, and in principle should put the engine into a more responsive power band (as in a manual car), but it doesn't seem to............thhe multidrive doesn not seem to have the simplicity of a straight 'kick down' as on any other auto box, so it is hard to know how to use the box, and if it has any more use than just a pedal to the floor in D position

the heads-up-display goes a bit multicolored when full power is dialled down for, and Tarquin's favourite blue shows that the 1.0 is giving its all.....but the gearbox position seems to have no additional effect

mmmmmmmmmmmm????

cheers bc

Hi Barry

The round a bout senario has always beet the bone of contention with me. I find it dangerous at times on a busy one. Hence the fitting of the K&N filter and hopefully the super charger lol. When the car is moving to a position on the round a bout it fly's round but from a stationary start its shut your eyes and go. I know i dont help matters by having 18 inch wheels. I have taken to usimg brake mode then quickly change to drive when the rev's come up. And yes no kick down to speak of

David

No kickdown as such, but a VVTi engine that likes being revved.

A CVT gearbox that can get the best performance from that engine but giving a different sensation than changing up through the gears.

Kick down was not always the best of things, ie flooring the accelerator to get oomph.

You always had the option on most autos to drop the gear manually without needing full throtle, and if you did kick down to do a double kickdown.

Interesting with both front wheel and rear wheel drive.

I consider S to mean Spirited as much as Sport/Snow.

Difficult to comment on how others drive.

Or how they should use the box or shifter.

Roundabouts and junctions and Economy tyres are not really suited to spirited driving IMHO.

Slick & diesel spilt ground of the likes of roundabouts & giving it welly makes for an accident waiting to happen, again only IMO. (and as many bikers might testify)

1.0 engine and no traction control means wheel spin at times & in an iQ that can mean power being cut to reduce wheel spin.

Not what you want trying to beat others onto a roundabout.

Maybe best to go out on open roads and try the D, S, B for deceleration and how it can assist in performance in the safer and more user friendly situations.

Seems like a good time to go out on an empty back road and each of you to see how to get the most out of the engine/box.

george

many thanks to David and George, and 'nice' to know that a question mark hangs over this S for Spirited situation....even the instruction book is ambivalent

maybe some wheelspin with an aggressive dropped-clutch manual car George, but other than a skid pan, unlikely with our IQ2....

the ECU setup seems to favour a lively start with the CVT, but not much oomph available from 10/15 mph and a trailing throttle.............

.............as my wife is the IAM punter in this situation, I am keeping my nose clean, and letting my colleague do the instruction........ but if it was me doing the instruction, I would be suggesting looking into the roundabout well before final approach, and allowing it to clear if possible, and so trying to maintain expensively acquired momentum (£1.38/litre V-Power)......split vision 50=50 between brake lights still on roundabout, and possible spaces developing, as tail ending someone at 20mph won't improve your day.....

........if space is there, knock lever to Spirited and go....but not always possible, so back to plan B

cheers barryc

I am with you on the last bit on looking for gaps, timing approach so not having to stop. I only have to be rolling at 5-8mph and its a world of difference, will put my 15's on and see what the difference is. I changed them on the day I got it so no driving really on them maybe those 3 inches will make the difference,

David

Actually its only 3cm bigger so not a lot of change really optical illusion

David

there has been a couple of threads related to IQ auto box, and s44GT summed up most aspects with his overview of the use of the S and B gear shift positions...

as my wife is now doing her IAM training in our IQ, she has been asked to flick the lever into S for more acceleration, as when entering a large roundabout, with a small (and closing) window of opportunity..

in my experience S knocks the revs up on the rev counter, and in principle should put the engine into a more responsive power band (as in a manual car), but it doesn't seem to............thhe multidrive doesn not seem to have the simplicity of a straight 'kick down' as on any other auto box, so it is hard to know how to use the box, and if it has any more use than just a pedal to the floor in D position

the heads-up-display goes a bit multicolored when full power is dialled down for, and Tarquin's favourite blue shows that the 1.0 is giving its all.....but the gearbox position seems to have no additional effect

mmmmmmmmmmmm????

cheers bc

Hi Barry

Are most people talking about the 1.0L here? I have the 1.33L multidrive and it's quick enough off the line at a roundabout. I only use B mode for going down steep hills, so I save my brakes and don't feel the need to use S mode that often, as the iQ3 goes fairly well as it is, especially if you floor it. I have been in Tarquin's car and thought it was quick enough, but he didn't stop at roundabouts, he flew round them due superior road holding, with the upgraded wheels and lowered suspension.

Regards

Marc

Ha ha Marc.... "he flew round them"...

Peter

David

That's 30mm or over 1". What does that add to the circumference?

wow................Tarquin has solved the lack of a 'kick down' by going in for a bit of low flying, which basically" flies" in the face of needing 'superior road holding'...

its reassuring to know that he only has 67+ bhp to play with, as he is an important source of IQ,' iq' (as it were), and a much needed site member

cheers barryc

Ha was only playing wait til i fit the supercharger lol

David

David

David

David

David

David

168.73 cm Original mine 184.16 cm (rolling radius) Diameter Original 53.71 cm Mine 58.62 cm

When speedo shows 30mph I will be doing 32mph when speedo at 60mph I will be doing 65mph so thinking about it my 112mph on the track using my speedo was probably 122mph !Removed! hell!! very stable though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links