Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing The Afm

AdamR

Short of going for an aftermarket ems is there any other way of getting rid of the afm on my rev1 turbo? I was thinking of replacing the ecu with a rev 3 version w/ map sensor - is this viable, or are the harnesses different?

Alternatively is there a bigger AFM that could be substituted? Do Supra's use AFM's or MAP sensors?

Cheers in advance for any Help

AdamR

lol brace yourself for an epic............

My last car was a nissan :censor: 300zx (boo hiss)

I spent pretty much all my wages for the next four years building the :censor: thing to run 12's but in the end it never got over 400bhp :ffs: :(

Long story short I got fed up of banging my head against a brick wall and got shut - leaving me with lots of debt, and a very restricted budget for my next project - My rev1.....

I had some bits and bobs left over from my 300 days (fuel and boost controllers, water injection....) so these are on the car now, but from what I understand the AFM maxxes out at 300bhp. I cant afford my new intercooler/turbo kit/ injectors etc AND a stand alone ems, at least not yet - so I'm looking for a cheaper way to bypass the "300bhp barrier" in my neverending quest to get into the 12's :P

lol epic over...........

I think it would be extremely difficult to achieve this without swapping the whole engine for a Rev 3. A lot is different, especially regarding the head.

Significantly, the loom is different and I suspect it would be hard to add extra wires, sensors etc. Personally I really wouldn't bother.

Cheers

Any idea on a bigger afm?

I really cant see myself being able to stretch to a standalone EMS this year.

the AFM is not the restriction for 300bhp .. the turbo is ..

You can bin the AFM and still not get any gains ..

Over 400/450 bhp you may need to think about getting rid, but then with a good ECU (MoTec) you'll get a MAP sensor input anyhow ..

lol looks like I've been working on dodgy info.....

I'll just have to see how it goes when the turbo's on....

This is the spec I'm going for....

GReddy eManage and Profec e01

Greddy intercooler

Greddy td06sh 20g turbo

650cc injectors & uprated fuel pump

2mm metal headgasket

Aquamist water injection

I'm gonna see how far I can go with stock internals - I've heard there pretty strong.

Target power is 375 - 400 bhp@the crank and 12 second quarters....

Please feel free to give me as much advice as possible :thumbsup:

rods and crank are stupidly strong as standard but pistons will still melt, I understand that anything over 350bhp its time for forged pistons, they arn't really that expensive JE are very good and less than £500.

look at extremeboost if you want to build a quick MR2

extremeboost - Jefferys MR2 Turbo

The afm is very restrivtive and makes modding a pita!! get something like a map-ecu ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links