Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Can I Tell Which Rev My Car Is

AdamR

I've not long bought a J reg 1991 MR2 gt turbo, it says on the log book it was made 12/91 - so how can I tell if its a rev 1 or 2?

I have a rev1, my girlfriend has a rev 2.

She has ABS... I dont.. she also has an extra sub behind the drivers seat.. I dont.

Yours would be a rev1

14" wheels, little discs, higher suspension, very small front splitter, longer gear knob, narrower rear track.

Front splitter is a good indication, black 1 and a bit inch = rev2, black almost little rim round front bumper = rev1

is that directed at me?

You've not seen my car?

Its got well over an inch of blak front splitter - but the bumper might not be original - it also came with nonstandard wheels and without the original gear knob

Confused now.....

Ok, look at the chasis number (under front bonnet towards the back, stamped on the metal). The last five digits will tell you. Compare to the last digits of the example numbers below. Whichever range your number falls into, that's the revision you have.

Revision 1 - December 1989 to December 1991

Chassis JT163SW2000000001 to JT163SW2000059265

Revision 2 - December 1991 to November 1993

Chassis JT163SW2000059266 to JT163SW2000087385

Revision 3 - November 1993 to June 1996

Chassis JT163SW2000087386 to JT163SW2000106662

if its a J plate its 99% a rev1, i've never seen a rev2 on a J plate, i have an early rev2 and thats august 1992. Mind looking at the chassi numbers you may have a rev2 just, december 1991 is when they changed.

Full details of the revision are on the sticky threads at the top of the MR2 forum ..

mines is also a j reg 92 rev 2. also has lsd which was an option on rev 2s, you an find out if it has lsd from the chassis code too..theres soem website somewhere that lsits the codes that had lsd.

See this is something that confused me...... mine has the Rev1 splitter but came with rev 2 wheels, date of manufacture 31/12/91 (yeah right they work on NYE! :D)

Had a thought that they may have been using up some rev one bits in the making of mine......

Will check the chassis number though, should tell a story :thumbsup:

I have a rev1, my girlfriend has a rev 2.

She has ABS... I dont.. she also has an extra sub behind the drivers seat.. I dont.

My Rev1 has ABS... maybe its optional for rev1.. or standard for turbo.... no idea

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed a rev 1 turbo some years ago prior to buying mine. It also had ABS. I believe it was an option, even back in the Rev 1 days, I can;t believe anyone would spend the time/money retrofitting ABS..

wow...mine is a raw rev1 ABS racing machine... :P :P

Is that mean I have less chance getting into a spin, or that is down to the way I throttle thru the bend.

Well, does racing car has ABS? or it is just for inexperience daily driver.

ABS only lets you stop safer, who needs that!

ME!!

My fronts always lock in the rain if i try stopping quickly

ABS systems should stop the wheels from locking up under heavy breaking. This means that you should be able to steer the car out/around an impending collision. It will only help during breaking, not in any other circumstances. In actual fact, cars with ABS technically stop slower than cars without, however, this would only really occur in perfect conditions where there is no water, oil etc. to make the wheels skid.

I hate ABS, is long as you know the car you can stop it alot quicker without ABS. Plus ever tried to drive a car with ABS in the snow :eek:

Gen II

12/1989-11/1991 225PS (approx 223 HP) Chassis #0000240 - 0059265

12/1991-09/1993 225PS + LSD Chassis # 0059266 - 0087385

Gen III

10/1993-08/1999 245PS (approx 242 HP) Chassis #0087386 -

Never knew that rev 1's could have ABS...

My old 1990 GT also had ABS-4 :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links