Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed !

JimTowle

Hi Guys & Girls,

I have a 1991 automatic Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4td, I have just noticed I have a fluid leak but can't work out what the fluid is. I have identified the oil, brake fluid and power steering fluid. I have noticed there are 2 dipsticks in the engine but I can't figure out what one of them is for (this is the one leaking and is getting low). Could anyone help?... Please

2 dipsticks in the engine ?

One for engine and the other usually the longer one for the autobox.

You should be able to tell which one has engine oil on it cause it`ll be black as coal, if the others the same your gearbox must be about knackered.

Thanks from what you described it must be the autobox (the dipstick is quite long) so I'm going to make the assumption that it's transmission fluid I need. Do you know how I can find out what type of transmission fluid I need?

Go onto the Opie Oils web site and there is an oil recommendation section that you can tyoe your car in and it will tell you what you need! this can also be done on the Mobil oil sites as well as the Castrol ones Afaik... But Opie is the quickest one I've found.

Go onto the Opie Oils web site and there is an oil recommendation section that you can tyoe your car in and it will tell you what you need! this can also be done on the Mobil oil sites as well as the Castrol ones Afaik... But Opie is the quickest one I've found.

You're gonna need to get the leak sorted out mind you! Prob a gasket starting to fail mate...

Thanks from what you described it must be the autobox (the dipstick is quite long) so I'm going to make the assumption that it's transmission fluid I need. Do you know how I can find out what type of transmission fluid I need?

Whats colours the fluid ?

The auto box fluid should be a redish color! But if its burnt (Smell it) or a browny color it will need to be changed...

• 5 weeks later...

The Transmission oil you need is DEXRON II and you will need 4.5 litres of it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links