Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does My Iq Have Heated Mirrors? I Wonder?

:ermm: Well, I ask this question as I just found the print out I made from AutoTrader of our iQ when it was for sale through Motorline Toyota in Canterbury. It clearly says it has 'Colour keyed Electric Heated Exterior Mirrors.' I have to admit, I don't have a clue if they are heated. So, my question is this, is there any way to tell from the dash -either warning light on, or button, whatever, on dash? Or, do they just come on when the heated rear screen is on? (This I could believe, it makes sense, but, I never checked them last time I used the heated screen.) So, tomorrow morning I am going to switch the rear heated screen on and see if I can detect any heat from the mirrors, as it's 00:36 Saturday morning at the moment it's a bit late, or should that be early?

An off topic moment. Why do we spell Should that way, surely 'Shud' is better? ;)

I could be wrong about the Toyota but on the Scion iQ the heated mirrors (which they don't offer) are activated by the rear defroster switch being pressed. I don't believe there is any indicator that they are on other than the rear defroster icon.

I could be wrong about the Toyota but on the Scion iQ the heated mirrors (which they don't offer) are activated by the rear defroster switch being pressed. I don't believe there is any indicator that they are on other than the rear defroster icon.

Yep - that's how they operate ;)

Dave

I think it goes like this. IQ1 does not, iQ2 & 3 does have heated mirrors. Plus I think both are electrically retractable. The iQ3 is anyway.

You may remember i did a test last week when we had the missing fuse on a new car. They come on and with my lazer temp gun can tell you they reach 40 deg for about 5 min the switch off and slowly decay to nominal

David

According to Toyota's website, all iQ's (current models) have heated mirrors

Dave

iQ2's also retract. :D

Fish

Yes I thought it did. :D

According to Toyota's website, all iQ's (current models) have heated mirrors

Dave

Perhaps post the link to it. What we need to find out is, do the iQ1's on the road now have heated mirrors.

:ermm: Well, I ask this question as I just found the print out I made from AutoTrader of our iQ when it was for sale through Motorline Toyota in Canterbury. It clearly says it has 'Colour keyed Electric Heated Exterior Mirrors.' I have to admit, I don't have a clue if they are heated. So, my question is this, is there any way to tell from the dash -either warning light on, or button, whatever, on dash? Or, do they just come on when the heated rear screen is on? (This I could believe, it makes sense, but, I never checked them last time I used the heated screen.) So, tomorrow morning I am going to switch the rear heated screen on and see if I can detect any heat from the mirrors, as it's 00:36 Saturday morning at the moment it's a bit late, or should that be early?

An off topic moment. Why do we spell Should that way, surely 'Shud' is better? ;)

They might have made a mistake and meant to say electric mirrors, And that means movement of the mirror electrically from inside the car. These have been around for years and come as standard on most cars. Heated and/or retractable mirrors have been around a fair time too, but were only on high end cars. Like every thing, they have filtered down to more standard vehicles. If they don't heat up by switching the heated rear window on, go back to the dealer with your print out or a copy of it.

"Should" is the correct english way of spelling it. If you spelt it as " Shud" they might think you missed school HeHe! English can be confusing sometimes and an example is To as in To go to the shops - Too as in Too large - Two as in 2 people. All three/3 sound the same.

Well, I checked it this morning, and they do heat up when having the rear heated screen on. What luxury, and on an iQ 1, too! BTW- I no me speling as I use to teech Saudi's ow to speek Inglish, innit. :lol:

Thanks for all the info everyone and appreciate you taking the time to inform a duffer. However, I always thought that the owners Manual covered all cars in the range, and therefore it would be trial and error -aside from obvious differences, like manual and auto gears- discovering what your iQ actually has? And, as there is no display on the dash -I know the heated screen symbol lights up when pressed on- to show the mirror heaters are on, I didn't know.

It was only when I remembered last night about Tarquin's 'heat test' from another subject on the forum that I thought I would give it the highly complicated and technical test of placing my hand near to them to feel the heat. They appear to get quite hot pretty quick, which is a good thing if they're iced up. Yeah, 40 degrees for about 5 minutes I reckon... okay, so I got that from David's reply.

On the subject of Should again, why is pronounced as Shud when it has an L in it, and yet we don't say it the same way when combined with 'der.' As in 'Shoulder?' Puzzling English language. It's no wonder non-English Speakers have so much trouble.

Yes just like could and would (or is that wood) Lol! You just miss out pronouncing the L. If we use your method, it would be cud and. I think English have some difficulties with other languages as well.

I would really like to have the power folding mirror option. Don't need the heated mirrors so much here but that folding would be awesome!

Taz. I think the motorized mirrors might be able to be added to yours. I thinl from my investigation there are 2 wires feeding the mirror rirror and by reversing polarity it moves in and out. So you could buy them and and have them fitted. I am working on a circuit to make them open when approaching the car and close when the car is locked.

I am working on a circuit to make them open when approaching the car and close when the car is locked.

This was a godsend on my old car, no more worries about family remembering to fold them in. Was one of the things I was surprised was not included even in the optional list, although a short car the IQ is wider than many small cars.

Edited by AndrewMW

I am working on a circuit to make them open when approaching the car and close when the car is locked.

This was a godsend on my old car, no more worries about family remembering to fold them in. Was one of the things I was surprised was not included even in the optional list, although a short car the IQ is wider than many small cars.

That sounds like a brilliant idea.

I would really like to have the power folding mirror option. Don't need the heated mirrors so much here but that folding would be awesome!

Strange that the Scion does not have retractable mirrors as standard, or alloy wheels, normally cars sold in America usually have many features that are only available as an option in Europe. I live in a town with very narrow streets and were it not for the mirrors retracting, I would probably have had them knocked off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links