Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Folding Mirrors

tarquin

It has been suggested that a nice option would be to have your mirrors fold in automatically when the car is locked and un-fold when the car is un-locked. This sounds simple, but after looking at what is required for this to happen,there are a few problems to this.

Firstly,the now manual button option would have to be disconnected as it has the potential to send conflicting commands and cause a short circuit. 2, Possible problem with the interior manual door lock switch. Actuating it whilst going along would bring the mirrors in.

I am working on it. As I would like this feature myself. I think doing away with the manual control option is ok but I need to overcome the interior door lock switch problem.

Taz, The workshop manual I have originated from the US and does show LHD models with folding mirror options.

David

David

Is there any feedback signal available from the speedo such that you could have mirrors open above say 15 or 20mph?

Dave

OK, so not only can I not get power folding mirrors on my Scion iQ but Dave suggests adding a component that operates them at 15 to 20 mph? Way to make a guy feel left out. j/k that would be an awesome option.

OK, so not only can I not get power folding mirrors on my Scion iQ but Dave suggests adding a component that operates them at 15 to 20 mph? Way to make a guy feel left out. j/k that would be an awesome option.

Soooo ... when I park my care.... I do NOT have any mirrors???? Going very slooooowwww...

Peter

No i dont think the speed thing is viable. You can get the speed signal from the OBD socket but then you have to convert it to usable data. Far too much work. I think you need them out as soon as you want to move the car for any reason

David

Soooo ... when I park my care.... I do NOT have any mirrors???? Going very slooooowwww...

Peter

Bit off topic Peter, but it looks like you have changed your photo. It show your iQ with a caravan behindand your iQ seems o have a towbar. You don't actually tow with it do you.

Peter

Bit off topic Peter, but it looks like you have changed your photo. It show your iQ with a caravan behindand your iQ seems o have a towbar. You don't actually tow with it do you.

YEP.... thats for a total distance of 0.000067 milimeters... ha ha (but seriously ... it's way too heavy.... the towbar will bend.... :-) Just for the picture....

But it is put on the towbar as it should be done... :-)

Ok, have done some investigations, Initially i thought i could use the function/wiring of the manual lock switch next to the window switches but I can't. The car is very complicated. A lot of the operating controls are done on a data bus called Lin. When you operate the window switches and the lock switch, they are not mechanical switches as you would expect, but rather the carbon impregnated buttons you get on a tv remote control. A data stream is sent to the main body ECU and Certification ECU. The Certification ECU is there to validate that the conditions are right to allow entry and of course the key fob coding. I have found a way of taking a feed from the door lock motor unit so the mirrors mimic what ever the door lock is doing. Also by using this method it will be possible to fit a separate switch to by-pass the "Automation" and revert back to manual.for when you want to lock the doors manually from the inside. Ha the hardest part is trying to find a nice place to fit the by-pass switch. Have to test to see if the doors actually physically un-lock when you approach or only really un-lock when the handle is grabbed. If it physically un-locks i.e the lock motor moves and its only the door latch holding it then in theory, when you see the light come on as you approach the mirrors should un-fold as well.

Let you know the progress and if all goes well a video

David

Ok, have done some investigations, Initially i thought i could use the function/wiring of the manual lock switch next to the window switches but I can't. The car is very complicated. A lot of the operating controls are done on a data bus called Lin. When you operate the window switches and the lock switch, they are not mechanical switches as you would expect, but rather the carbon impregnated buttons you get on a tv remote control. A data stream is sent to the main body ECU and Certification ECU. The Certification ECU is there to validate that the conditions are right to allow entry and of course the key fob coding. I have found a way of taking a feed from the door lock motor unit so the mirrors mimic what ever the door lock is doing. Also by using this method it will be possible to fit a separate switch to by-pass the "Automation" and revert back to manual.for when you want to lock the doors manually from the inside. Ha the hardest part is trying to find a nice place to fit the by-pass switch. Have to test to see if the doors actually physically un-lock when you approach or only really un-lock when the handle is grabbed. If it physically un-locks i.e the lock motor moves and its only the door latch holding it then in theory, when you see the light come on as you approach the mirrors should un-fold as well.

Let you know the progress and if all goes well a video

David

Your working hard at it then David. On another note, the workshop manual CD works OK. I am getting new wheels today, but before you say well done. They will be on my Nissan Navara. They had a recall and are replacing the old ones for free.

!Removed! hell, How could they have got wheels wrong?

David

The wheels by all account can crack, especially when cornering. Be nice to have new wheels though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links