Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Low Can I Go

Heathie

Hi every one,

Just wondering how low I can go with my IQ?

I have wide 15" black alloys and plan to keep them.

I have seen that the H&R Lowering Springs are a 35mm drop, CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY THEM FROM?

But I was wondering if their are any spring manufactures out their that go even lower thab 35mm for the IQ?

Many thanks

Take a look at the link below so that you can see the/my car

for any help

35mm is the lowest for springs. You can go lower than that if you install either coilovers or air suspension but obviously the later two choices are way more expensive. I paid about £150 for my 35mm H&R springs and £100 to get them installed. Got them off eBay.

Jordan

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk

http://www.fensport.co.uk

What width or offset of wheels do you have fitted?

Going low looks like a problem with them as they are.

ie, and suspension movement downwards once lowered will have the body touching the tyres

Are the tyres/wheels outwith the body already, or is that just an optical illusion?

If so, You will probably need flared arches or a body kit with wider arches.

george

PS, (i know i will be called Victor Meldrew again but who cares, just pointing out to save you points and a fine from a Victor Meldrew type police person)

Your 'Show Plates' that are in the vid are illegal for road use.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503

George asks some important questions. The width of your wheel will determine if your tires will rub with a lowering spring.

You can always check out the Tanabe NF210 springs. The give you almost two inches of drop. Tanabe-USA

I'd love to drop, but speed bumps stop me doing this. I'm looking at the rear sway bar instead.

Fish

Hi, thanks for all your help and info.

I have measured checked and double checked and I have just sent Tanabe USA an email asking for a price to have the NF210 2" drop springs delivered to me here in the UK.

Hi, thanks for all your help and info.

I have measured checked and double checked and I have just sent Tanabe USA an email asking for a price to have the NF210 2" drop springs delivered to me here in the UK.

It's not just the fact that you'll be able to fit them on mind..2 inches (50mm) is quite a big drop and bearing in mind you might get rubbing on the arches when you turn. But cross fingers it'll all be alright. What tyres are you running?

Jordan

at the moment i have stretched 185/55/15 on the front and 185/60/15 on the back, but i am replacing them soon with 195/55/15 front and 205/60/15 on the back

at the moment i have stretched 185/55/15 on the front and 185/60/15 on the back, but i am replacing them soon with 195/55/15 front and 205/60/15 on the back

Do you have spacers on? :S those 185's look wider than some of the 205's that people have on this forum!

Jordan

I'd love to drop, but speed bumps stop me doing this. I'm looking at the rear sway bar instead.

Fish

I thought of lowering, but was worried about speed bumps. What is a rear sway bar?

Fish

I thought of lowering, but was worried about speed bumps. What is a rear sway bar?

I wouldn't bother about the sway bar..I returned mine. There's a reason they only sell them in America and not uk..cos the roads are so much more better over there in terms of smoothness etc. the sway bar is a bar that connects the rear struts and increases handling by strengthening the chassis-except for the iQ, it sort of lowers the underside of the car so you're more likely to hit it off some speed bump. Maybe it's just mine cos it's already been lowered but mine kept hitting off bumps. The front 21mm polythene bushes helps increase handling too

Maybe pictures will explain it better, I'm !Removed! at explaining

201202110911508.jpg

Not mine, but illustrates my point

Jordan

No I dont have spacers fitted, I can't remember the wheels off set but they were off a Renault 5 GT Turbo, they were knackered so I refurbed them myself and had to send off for special spigot rings from OZ Italy.

You see, every car I see seems to have bigger wheels (17") where as I like the old euro look of the golfs.

Thats why ive gone for the wide 15's so that I can drop it to the floor.

As for the speed bump issue, Ive always had big cars in the past Mercs, Jags and so on and ive always lowered them, I even had to have the top of my drive dug up and lowered so that i could get my lowered car down. but when you get a short wheel base like the IQ I find that you can get away with going low, on some speed bumps all 4 wheels can be on them at the same time.

No I dont have spacers fitted, I can't remember the wheels off set but they were off a Renault 5 GT Turbo, they were knackered so I refurbed them myself and had to send off for special spigot rings from OZ Italy.

You see, every car I see seems to have bigger wheels (17") where as I like the old euro look of the golfs.

Thats why ive gone for the wide 15's so that I can drop it to the floor.

As for the speed bump issue, Ive always had big cars in the past Mercs, Jags and so on and ive always lowered them, I even had to have the top of my drive dug up and lowered so that i could get my lowered car down. but when you get a short wheel base like the IQ I find that you can get away with going low, on some speed bumps all 4 wheels can be on them at the same time.

if i could get a coilover kit for it then i would.

Jordan , I wouldn't say that the roads over in the US are much better or worse than ours. The sway bar/roll bar shouldn't lower the car in any way, so not sure where you got that bit from? It does stiffen the ride though.

Fish

Like, the bar sticks down a bit near the wheels? And ive scraped it a few times cos theres so many speed bumps around this area - check photo posted above

J

Hi, thanks for all your help and info. I have measured checked and double checked and I have just sent Tanabe USA an email asking for a price to have the NF210 2" drop springs delivered to me here in the UK.

Talk to James or Danh, tell them TAZ sent you.

Jordan, I couldn't see the picture when I made my last post (works firewall :(). All the sway/roll bar will do is tighten everything up. The (drop) links that you say ground out would be the OE units unless they are swapped out at the same time, which I doubt. I have some upgraded from my old Subaru in the toolbox and they are the same length as the OE units, just using poly bushes instead.

Fish

Jordan, I couldn't see the picture when I made my last post (works firewall :(). All the sway/roll bar will do is tighten everything up. The (drop) links that you say ground out would be the OE units unless they are swapped out at the same time, which I doubt. I have some upgraded from my old Subaru in the toolbox and they are the same length as the OE units, just using poly bushes instead.

Fish

Ya i know, same as a front strut brace but back and bottom. But you see where its like hanging down a bit? The c-one one is much better and cheaper. The poly bushes helped too, i kept those haha.

conetoyotaiqkgj10rearpe.jpg

This is the c-one one. See here it bolts onto the tower. Dunno if i should order one though..im pretty happy with handling atm

Jordan

This last one is way better... the "golden" strut and the red one... look perfect to me..

The exhaust pipe goes "over" it...

Is this a standard iQ thing?

Peter

PS .. As DFish askes... please can you tell where you got the red strut thing.... looks very good in my opinion.. against rol...

The gold bar is a chassis brace, if doing this then you really need the front and mid sections as well.

From what I've read C-One are out of business, but cant 100% confirm this.

Anything that tightens the suspension up without dropping it is good IMO. I know they are designed for city/town driving, but that much roll isn't good.

Jordan, can I ask where you got it from/returned it to?

Fish

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links