Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev 3 Rear Lights Question

Fizz

The rear lights on my Rev 3, only the outer ones are in use..

They turn on when the lights are on and then get brighter when i press the brake...

I was driving about last night when i saw another Rev 3 with all 4 of the lights in action and made me wonder!... <_<

Whats that all about and is it easily fixed?

thanks in advance...

your inner lights should only go on when the brakes are on, the outer ones are for lights and brakes, thats how rev 3 lights were set up. the car you saw was most probably a rev 1/2 which has upgraded rears, when you use the rev 1/2 wiring harness with the rev 3 lights you get all four lights working as brake/light lights if ya get me!

further info:

http://mr2.noegruts.com/t-lights/wiring.htm

your inner lights should only go on when the brakes are on, the outer ones are for lights and brakes, thats how rev 3 lights were set up.

That's maybe how the JDM had their lights set up, but UK spec cars have lights and brakes on the outer lights, and the inner lights are used only for foglights.

your inner lights should only go on when the brakes are on, the outer ones are for lights and brakes, thats how rev 3 lights were set up.

That's maybe how the JDM had their lights set up, but UK spec cars have lights and brakes on the outer lights, and the inner lights are used only for foglights.

Correct :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

didnt know that! learn summin new everyday,cheers :thumbsup:

you and me both!...

:thumbsup:

I have all four lit .. and all four as brakes .. and the inner two as fogs ..

And then I have the red reflectors so thy come on with the side lights ..

how did you do that bibbs? I'm looking to have all 4 light up when main lights on and all 4 brighter when brakes are applied. also want to have the foglights included in the cluster. How did you do this?

cheers.

I went to Rogue Systems and Patrick say down with a few diodes and did it for me .. :thumbsup:

do you know where i can purchase 95 rear lights for a decent price ?

From me ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

how did you do that bibbs? I'm looking to have all 4 light up when main lights on and all 4 brighter when brakes are applied. also want to have the foglights included in the cluster. How did you do this?

This should be quite easy to achieve, I'm going to attempt it on mine soon, so I'll let you know how to do it. Logically you should need around four diodes (rated for the correct voltage and current, two if you only intend to restrict the live feed).

AFAIK the brake lights use dual filament bulbs, one lower wattage filament for sidelights, another higher wattage filament for the brake light.

At the moment, I would expect on an import car that two sets of lights have been disconnected from the brake lights and reconnected to act as a fog light.

I suspect that only the bright filaments have been used, and the wiring for the dim filaments has been left disconnected.

If this is the case, what you will need to do is to reconnect the circuit containing the dim filament back up to the dim filament circuit on the existing brake lights.

Next you will need to connect the bright filament circuit back again. However, you will need to insert the diodes between each (or just the live) of the wires to allow current to flow from the existing brake lights to the brake/fog lights. You don't want current to flow back the other way, since when you turn your fogs on, you will feed power to the existing lights too.

Finally you need to insert another diode in each wire that comes from the fog light circuit. These will need to allow power to feed into the lights, but not back into the fog switch since this would illuminate the switch every time the brakes are applied.

This should sort it, but I must stress this is only in theory, I haven't examined the light or the circuits yet. I hope this makes sense, I will write this up properly when I get around to doing it, but this is not a high priority at the moment.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links