Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installing Obd Port Scanner

surfcitylocal

I purchased a bluetooth OBD scanner from Amazon and downloaded the Torque app to my Droid. The app lets me monitor anything the OBD monitors. It's a lot of fun to use. The sender unit was a bit large and when placed in the OBD port stuck out a little too far. I didn't want to hit it with my knee so I relocated the port. Here's how I did it.

The Droid, software CD and sender unit...

DSCN1195.jpg

The iQ OBD port located below the driver side dash...

DSCN1196.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1198.jpg

Remove the driver side door sill...

DSCN1206.jpg

Remove the driver side kick panel...

DSCN1207.jpg

There are two 10mm bolts to be removed, one on the left side of the dash panel...

DSCN1208.jpg

And one on the right side of the dash panel...

DSCN1209.jpg

Pull the door seal out enough to clear the left edge of the dash panel...

DSCN1210.jpg

Pull towards yourself on the dash panel...

DSCN1211.jpg

You will have more room to work with, mine has the paddles and hoses for the air suspension.

The OBD port has two small clips to either side, push those in and the port will be removed from behind...

DSCN1212.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1215.jpg

Connect the scanner module to the OBD port...

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

I used 3M molding tape to hold the module in place...

DSCN1218.jpg

The molding tape is holding the module on the air bag frame bracket...

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

The installation of the dash pieces is simply the reverse of removal. Be sure to line up the small white tab on the kick panel...

DSCN1224.jpg

Now you are left with an opening in the dash panel but no one can see it...

DSCN1225.jpg

Download the Torque app to your phone, pair and connect with the sender via bluetooth and start having fun with the app...

DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

I seem to have an issue with the pictures not showing?

Craig.

No problems here, and I'm behind lots of firewalls. ;)

Fish

Nope.... nossingg..

Yeppp ... there they are... nice work....

Sorry guys, not sure what happen there. You should be able to see the pictures now.

facepalm10.jpg

Why not leave the port where it is and connect the scanner using an extension cable? You could route the cable back under the dash and secure the scanner under there as well. What's going to happen if the dealer or state inspection station can't find the OBD port?

Well I have already got a couple of diagnostic units , but, clumsy to use. So had a look at Taz's one and found an iPhone /ipad version so bought it. There is a sort of oem version around for £65 but no manual and no real support and no power switch. I have got a "floating " socket which if i ever get round to it was going to be used for my HUD unit. So I am going to connect by solder splicing on to the back of the existing socket and mount the unit inside the dashboard as Taz has done. Hopefully, the unit will not change the impedance of the existing connections so the existing socket can still be used for servicing. I can check this once it is installed , with one of my usb laptop versions. Document it when it arrives. Its coming from the UK so should only be a couple of days.

David

Hmmm ... sooo the only "real" improvement for all this work is:

Acceleration measuring and coolant (so NOT the oil temp?) temperature. Thats it?

Revs and speed are already on the dash .. also a logo that says the engine is cold (or not cold) ... conveniently in front of me already... So I do not have to look at my phone...

Throttle I know from the feeling with my foot... G-forces I feal... it's low, high or very high.. and then the ESP takes over...

Sounds like a lot of work for something that's already there???

Or is it for recording purpose?

AND... the diagnostic port is now un-reachable for diagnostics from the garage.

?

Please give a comment. And all is really meant in a very friendly way... it's not meant to be negative... just wondering ... :jockey:

Peter

Peter, there are other widgets that you can put on your phone app. Those are just the ones I added first.

Honestly, I have no interest in the technical aspects of the car, as you say, all the information is available or at least most of it. I just think it's COOOOOOOOOL. LOL

I don't take my cars to the mechanic so I'm not really worried about the port. If there is a need to access it it's a simple process to get to it.

I appreciate your input Peter.

Hi Peter. I suppose the first thing for me is its a gadget. It depends on the software/app. Some are free and others cost up to £40. With much more functionality. I suppose it depend how you want to use it. You could plug it in and use it as a diagnostic tool. You can look at fault codes and reset engine management light etc.etc. The iPhone is particulary good in that it uses its accelarator and gyroscope which gives torque measurements etc. Its a gadget ha

David

Hi Peter. I suppose the first thing for me is its a gadget. It depends on the software/app. Some are free and others cost up to £40. With much more functionality. I suppose it depend how you want to use it. You could plug it in and use it as a diagnostic tool. You can look at fault codes and reset engine management light etc.etc. The iphone is particulary good in that it uses its accelarator and gyroscope which gives torque measurements etc. Its a gadget ha

David

Yes David,

In this I must agree with you... now you are talking about the really nice things to diagnose.

Over your other remark ... the wire plugin extensioncord... that is what I would think of also...

Extension cord with a cheap bluetooth device... that any smartphone can adress ... and app's for about any diagnostic thing there is...

Maybe this would be a better solution... it would be a: pluginthingie-wire-BlueToothstickyonthingie... and not expensive ... that would be handy...

Peter

Ordered the unit yesterday at 4:30 in the afternoon and it arrived today at 7:30 this morning. Outstanding!!

Have included a few pics showing its size. and the apps you can use on it I have installed all these App's but haven't tested it yet. If you zoom a bit on one of the pic's you can see what the Apps do Will post what i find

David

post-109788-0-82899300-1331407950_thumb.

post-109788-0-16030100-1331408001_thumb.

post-109788-0-60228700-1331408062_thumb.

post-109788-0-59218900-1331408124_thumb.

post-109788-0-47811800-1331408195_thumb.

Nice pictures Taz, good description with the pics of what you did to get this working. I too would like to know about what my car is doing as I drive in it. Like, Oil, Water, Battery... a better more accurate fuel gauge would be very useful for all with iQ's I reckon. Is there one for that?

Dave? Taz? Any fuel gauge app/thingy better than the 'block' system? (As in, one block gone, now another block gone. Stop engine, go back, Oh! The other block is back again... you know what I mean.)

Ahhh. Just seen your pics Dave, looks like 'Fuzzy Car' and 'Rev' fit the bill, but shame it has to be on the phone display isn't it? Still, it would come in handy when your fuel warning light comes on, and you can monitor more closely how much fuel you actually have in the tank. Then, without having to monitor on the phone via Rev or Fuzzy Car you'll be more sure of what fuel you have left. I would personally have to check the low fuel warning a number of times to know the accuracy of the gauge, to trust it.

Dave, that 'kit' looks so small. Is the OBD port that small? I'm gonna have to go find it tomorrow to see it.

No Bob it has a 1.5mtr cable to the OBD plug.. It has a red backlight under the logo and a green status light . I f i fit it full time i may have to power it from a switched ignition feed as it could drain the Battery. More pic's tomorrow.

David

Thanks for your update David.... :flowers: (also "spring is in the air" / very sunny over here... )

Nice pictures Taz, good description with the pics of what you did to get this working. I too would like to know about what my car is doing as I drive in it. Like, Oil, Water, Battery... a better more accurate fuel gauge would be very useful for all with iQ's I reckon. Is there one for that?

Dave? Taz? Any fuel gauge app/thingy better than the 'block' system? (As in, one block gone, now another block gone. Stop engine, go back, Oh! The other block is back again... you know what I mean.)

Ahhh. Just seen your pics Dave, looks like 'Fuzzy Car' and 'Rev' fit the bill, but shame it has to be on the phone display isn't it? Still, it would come in handy when your fuel warning light comes on, and you can monitor more closely how much fuel you actually have in the tank. Then, without having to monitor on the phone via Rev of Fuzzy Car you'll be more sure of what fuel you have left. I would personally have to check the low fuel warning a number of times to know the accuracy of the gauge, to trust it.

Dave, that 'kit' looks so small. Is the OBD port that small? I'm gonna have to go find it tomorrow to see it.

Bob,

I use a Scangauge2 which I have used on all the cars that I have owned that have a diagnostic port.

I have it permanently mounted on the dash but the connector is just pulled out of the port when the car goes for servicing in case they need to use diagnostics, and any wiring is very unobtrusive.

It can be calibrated to give very accurate fuel consumption figures and all the

usual engine monitoring information, but not the level of fuel in the tank!

Mine permanently keeps an eye on coolant temperature, alternator voltage, current days mpg and current days distance but has a wealth of other optional parameters it can display if required.Plus the usual resetting of fault codes etc.

Wouldn't be without it, warning lights are all very well but I like to see any "trends" developing before they reach the warning light stage.

John

No Bob it has a 1.5mtr cable to the OBD plug.. It has a red backlight under the logo and a green status light . I f i fit it full time i may have to power it from a switched ignition feed as it could drain the battery. More pic's tomorrow.

David

Okay. I found the OBD port, nice and easy, lemon squeezy! They definitely are a handy tool to have fitted -the OBD scanner. Had not considered the implications of Battery drainage however. As ever though Dave, I'm sure you'll sort that out.

John, it's a shame these devices can't provide a 'Fuel Tank' meter to give us a better idea of the level of fuel in it. I guess it's down to the type of sender unit Mr. T. decided to fit on the production line.

I think the next iQ needs a more accurate way of monitoring this. Mr. T., please take note. And whilst I am on the subject, a few more items wouldn't go amiss either. Like- 'Head Up Display,' showing Speed (switchable from MPH to KPH), 'Gear' in use, and the 'Shift Now' up or down a gear indicator. Cruise control, with levels that can be set at the touch of a button complying with the speed limit -so, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80 as top- a light up six button keypad would do this. That would save people a lot of worry when driving in cities or large towns, hell, anywhere really these days.

Better interior lighting for exit/entry to the car, much like Dave has done. Switchable colour for all lit up areas in car when lights are on. Lets say, six of those to chose from on a 'gnurledy gknob' much like the headlight level roller/selector. Some more cubbies, at least one locakable, like between the front seats, for things like portable SAT NAV, chargers for phone and so on. Better, as in brighter longer distance headlights.That's it for now Mr. T. Carry on! :euro:

Ha Bob,

Cruise control, with levels that can be set at the touch of a button complying with the speed limit -so, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80 as top- a light up six button keypad would do this.

Allready ...

The CC they build in, has 3 possibilities for a speed. You put the speed in by driving ... say 50 ... and the CC on ... and then press 1 of the 3 buttons for some seconds .. untill you hear 2 beeps ... thats it.

So three possibilities... at any speed... But it has to be over 25 miles/hour (40 kms/hr)...

Peter

what i want is something that shows real time blood pressure, LDL /HDL cholesterol, Oxygen consumption, heart rate and output in watts.....and something with a Fault Code would be useful too

...any apps out there????

cheers BarryC

• 3 months later...

I bought a bluetooth adaptor and while it works in the Corolla it cannot find the ECU on the IQ. \it is meant to be the latest edition of the ELM327 and I can connect to it but it just flicks through all the protocols.

I know there are all sorts of of connectors available and it can be hit and miss so the question is what have people bought that works?

This is the one I bought/:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110737303370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

He OBD11 socket is located at:

If sitting in the driver seat its where your right knee is next to the bonnet catch release

David

Looks like the one you bought one for use with an Android phone for which you will have to download the "torque" app

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links