Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Pump

mushymarsh

i have a 2.4 td surf,which has developed a starting problem.she turns over for a while then fires up,but blows a lot of white smoke and is quite lumpy.while under the hood i noticed the fuel pump mounted on the bulkhead.it has a manual pump on i presume incase you run out of diesel .near the top you have 2 pipes i presume in and out .on the bottom their is what looks like a plastic pipe which should have a pipe attached to it but there is no pipe can any one help please thanks

Even without the obvious loss of coolant, the usual cause of white 'smoke' is a cracked head allowing coolant into the combustion chambers.

However it could also indicate a lot of unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust.

The quick head check just involves filling the header tank with a cold engine, replacing the pressure cap and starting the engine.

Leave it idling while you stroll around the front and carefully remove the pressure cap again. If there is vigorous bubbling or the coolant rushes out, then the head is almost certainly cracked.

If not than maybe it's OK.

If it's not using/losing much coolant and the white smoke is mainly at start-up you might just have a glow plug gone down.

Have you checked those out? Could explain the lumpy idle after start-up too, though it wouldn't account for white smoke when the engine has been running for a while and is hot.

thanks head is fine after checking so it must be plugs .all fuses are ok so the plugs are next to change.would be a damn site easier if i could read japanese haha . thanks again have fun

i have a 2.4 td surf,which has developed a starting problem.she turns over for a while then fires up,but blows a lot of white smoke and is quite lumpy.while under the hood i noticed the fuel pump mounted on the bulkhead.it has a manual pump on i presume incase you run out of diesel .near the top you have 2 pipes i presume in and out .on the bottom their is what looks like a plastic pipe which should have a pipe attached to it but there is no pipe can any one help please thanks

= = = = = = =

hi matey

as visible you might to have the below listed issues, as follows:

- air inside the fuel injection line;

- head gasket issue;

- late injection timing;

- SCV failure or about to die.

- fuel filter housing (possible air suction thru booster pump)

- water in fuel filter (???)

Check the above and come back

regards / igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links