Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Type?

phase

GTX Magnatec 15W 40. Well that's what I've been using for the past 5 years and the engine still sounds mint :).

10w 30 semi synth is what toyota recomend..... thats your best bet.

oops - actually meant 10W 40 - my mistake thinking of my brother's Landy again!! Toyota do indeed reccommend 10W 30, but it's common for dealers to use 10W 40. I think it is more readily available. Also you'll see on a Magnatec or similar oil container that this oil is suitable for all modern engines, including those made by Toyota.

ive been running magnatec but its started smoking a little (87k miles and i assume a little play in turbo), so i just did a change to Mobil 1 15/50, which as its thicker and fully synthetic - AND £35 FROM HALFRAUDS! is recommended as it is less likely to be combusted and leak thru the turbo seals.

so far it seems to have stopped the smoking, only problem is now when starting cold the oil light stays on for 2 or 3 seconds (some peeps complain of noisy startup but it hasnt happened to me) as it is thicker oil, but a little misfire before starting fully, or not looking at the dash for 3 seconds cures this :D

most of the peeps on imoc seem to love Mobil 1, and i reckon i will run this thru the warm weather and switch back to a thinner magnatec in wintertime :thumbsup:

I think the noisy startup was experienced by those who use 0w 50 or 5w 50. As you rightly say, thicker oil will prevent this.

this oil is suitable for all modern engines, including those made by Toyota

That made me chuckle.... modern engine - its was designed in the 80's, but hey don't get me wrong i'm not knocking it in any way shape or form, I have nothing but respect for any 3S... engine, except perhaps the FE.......Now i'm in trouble!!

Matt,

If you compare it to my brothers 2.25 engine in his Landy (made in the 40's I believe) then dating back to the 80's is in comparison very modern :). I think by modern they mean anything with EDI etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links