Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

73.8 And 70.3Mpg!

Oh yes indeedy! What a surprise I got yesterday driving up to my parents in Cheshire. I was stuck behind a truck for miles, but, at speeds of between 30 - 40mph and up to 50mph I got 73.8mpg on the AVG display, thanks to having had the computer screen/display replaced. When I arrived at my destination (well, Sainsburys car park in the town) it had gone down to 70.3mpg. Now, I was quite lucky I managed to keep the car under (just) 60mph. Mostly between 55 and 60mph as mostly A-roads, interspersed with those pesky 30, 40 and 50 limits in between.

I filled up from half a tank, -according to the useless part of the display, what's in the tank- and (adding 19.03 litres) when I got back home today it was still showing a full tank (it's a 70+ mile trip each way) along with 65.? mpg. Here's a double meaning, 'I can't remember what the point is...'

Some Pic's, off the phone. The first pic for some reason has come out displayed as the second one. DOH!

post-113536-0-58015000-1334270170_thumb.

post-113536-0-88891300-1334270198_thumb.

Nice, I wish my wife would get sort of economy.

Kind of guessing I won't be getting that level of economy out of mine due to the type of driving I have to do as well as I rather heavy right foot - but guessing it will be a lot better than the 35mpg I get out of my 1.6 petrol fiesta

The only time I see those fingures is when I'm going down hill!

Fish

As my readout stops at 60mpg I don't stand a chance, Must sort that out sometime.

Amazing figures though, must have been running on fumes most the way. :)

Craig.

Well, here I go, ready to ramble.

Paul, I was lucky I guess. The road I was on at the time of the 73.8mpg readng was a good 'A' road, the A483 in fact. Although, a lot of annoying lower speed limits from 30 to 50.

I pulled into a layby just before the Oswestry Industrial Estate turn off near a butty van to take the photo. I had been stuck behind a 7 ton truck from Welshpool up to that point. The highest speed I saw was just over 50mph. I had also topped up with another 19 litres of gold, sorry must be the expense, fuel, before setting off. So, as I'm sure others find, the reading was very generous. After the engine stops, and you set off again, it's not as good at handing over those numbers after the decimal point in the display.

The second reading of 70.3mpg was after leaving the dual carriageway/good 'A' road's and onto a road leading into the town, so the figures dropped, like a stone.

Coming back from there I maxed out at 67.8, so, although great to see it on the display, not as good, but I'm not complaining.

I would advise anyone who does not have the display showing AVG MPG figures over 60 to go get the display changed. I was surprised at how easy it was for me to deal with the people at William A. Lewis Toyota in Shrewsbury. Helpful people, and they appreciated the issue is a fault with some iQ's.

Go on, take the punge (Craig, this means you), I'm glad I did. It has inspired me to be even more miserly with the fuel consumption than I have been so far. I mean, why give the swindling Gov even more of your money? Make 'em work for it. They make us work for it.

The only time I see those fingures is when I'm going down hill!

Fish

Dan, I know what you mean. That's another thing about having changed the display. Seeing 99.9mpg on the Instant MPG when coasting downhill. More of a thrill (first time it is anyway) than, something else that is thrilling... oh yeah, than stuffing it to the Gov by being miserly with fuel use.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes indeedy! What a surprise I got yesterday driving up to my parents in Cheshire. I was stuck behind a truck for miles, but, at speeds of between 30 - 40mph and up to 50mph I got 73.8mpg on the AVG display, thanks to having had the computer screen/display replaced. When I arrived at my destination (well, Sainsburys car park in the town) it had gone down to 70.3mpg. Now, I was quite lucky I managed to keep the car under (just) 60mph. Mostly between 55 and 60mph as mostly A-roads, interspersed with those pesky 30, 40 and 50 limits in between.

I filled up from half a tank, -according to the useless part of the display, what's in the tank- and (adding 19.03 litres) when I got back home today it was still showing a full tank (it's a 70+ mile trip each way) along with 65.? mpg. Here's a double meaning, 'I can't remember what the point is...'

Some Pic's, off the phone. The first pic for some reason has come out displayed as the second one. DOH!

That's an amazing figure. My display is being changed next week. My reason is the clock loses 20 minutes in a couple of weeks. Might sort out my average as well. I only get under 40 mpg. Did the reset the mileage to the correct one or was it set at zero?

Hi Marc. They did not reset the mileage, it was left at zero. Nice in a way but the novelty has already worn off. Somewhere on here there is talk -I think from Dan/Fish and David/Tarquin about their ability to reset the mileage to what your old/removed display shows. I think though they would not be likely to change the mileage -but I would ask them, see what they say. Best of luck with that.

To be honest i dont trust anything that computet says.reset or otherwise. Mine varied by huge amounys in the trip A mode. One time it will display 280milrs for a full tank and another time as low as 160. Now the thing is if i make a note of the odometer at the start of a full tank. Then add the 280 or 180 or whatever trip A is showing. I ts nowhere near the odometer current reading. In fact i dont even trust the odometer. So with figures in the 70's after a reset. Unless you can mathmatically prove it to yourself i wouldnt trust it

David

All modern (much like the old) speedo's can be re-written (old days they used a drill ;) ). Just a case of the correct software and cables. Toyota have a record of the mileage at the time of change, so if there is any confusion any future owners can check with Toyota.

Fish

To be honest i dont trust anything that computet says.reset or otherwise. Mine varied by huge amounys in the trip A mode. One time it will display 280milrs for a full tank and another time as low as 160. Now the thing is if i make a note of the odometer at the start of a full tank. Then add the 280 or 180 or whatever trip A is showing. I ts nowhere near the odometer current reading. In fact i dont even trust the odometer. So with figures in the 70's after a reset. Unless you can mathmatically prove it to yourself i wouldnt trust it

David

Mwaaaaah! :unsure::crybaby: I used to feel good about those results, now, I'm not so sure. :crybaby: ;) :lol2:

PS: A round of applause for the person responsible for the brilliant Emoticons on this forum. :clap:

the thing is because of the figures on mine , i don't trust the recorded milage. My wife commutes, I don't she bar far does more miles than me and the cars were bought within a week or so of each other. and mine shows 4200 miles higher than here's and that just can't be. So as I said if the Trip A and the odometer don't tally up who knows what milage is correct if any at least as Dan says, with a cable driven one it was a mechanical geared drive the odometer part and the Trip part were married together.

P.S Bob you should up date your 58.4 signature lol

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links