Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Probs This Morning

Jimlad

This morning I was on my way to Toyota to get some bits and bobs done where I totally lost power. It felt like severe electrical probs. It was raining, so maybe somehow something got wet. I had very little power and whenever I put my foot down pops and bangs came from the exhaust. Not healthy.

Anyway.. they are sorting it out now... maybe water in somewhere ? A loose lead or something ?

Any ideas ?

nah... don't think it will be. Felt like the time my leads/sparks plugs/rotor arm etc needed replaced.

actually... I'm gonna phone the %$(ers now just to find out.

I'm getting a call back in 5 mins...... oooooh.....

excuse me sir, your whole engine is fuc*ed and the car is dead... lol ... NO !

I shouldn't temp fate..... :crybaby:

just called me back. They said they took it out and couldn't notice any issues with power loss. I told them again it was most prob due to the weather.

Any ideas folks ? Defo to do with the rain tho .... should I just check the leads etc myself ?

well, if you're that sure it's to do with the rain... the problem must be within the engine compartment, rain leaks in through the engine lid on mr2's doesn't it?

so i'd concur your diagnosis dr. jim... give it a look yourself :)

I'll check the leads etc myself when I get the thing back.

I also got them to take apart the calipers and lube them up etc as I felt the rears slightly sticking recently. Don't want another £500 bill due to **** calipers !!!

It's also worth checking the ECU for error codes.... just in case. Sounds like water has got into the leads somewhere, or the coil/ignitor is playing up. Since this is mostly a sealed unit, should really cause any bother, but they do die eventually when they rust extensively.....

how do I get the ECU to produce error codes ?? Also.. how do I know what they mean ?

any info greatfully received !

have a look in the "how too's" Jim .. that's what they are there for :)

Or type "MR2 ecu error codes" into yahoo and looky here -> clicky .. or here -> clicky ..

Ach jimlad this happened to me the other day too funnily enough when it was raining. Bet it felt like minimisfires...like a random "put put....put" on idle and whilst movin?

All I did was pop off the HTs on the dizzy and cleaned em (had a bit o carbon deposits) and it was fine. Happened a couplo times to me recently. Just pop off, clean out an stick em back in.

I lost all power on my car on the way over to belgium, it turned out to be s imple matter of relaceing the EFI fuse, engine wouldnt even start on mine so don't know if its same or not :)

The EFI fuse won't be the problem since if it goes, the engine will not run at all. Yours is running, so I'd still suspect water in the wrong places.

hmm.. this happened to me too.. and it was raining... i too thought it had something to do with the electronics.. so i let my car "dry up" in the garage and the next day it was fine

Sounds like the usual suspects to me - Leads, possibly rotar arm, plugs...

If you find yourself wrestling with the car to make it go anywhere, and all it's doing is farting out the exhuast and lurching about (or even stalling!) then it's most definitely a severe misfire caused by the water.

I wouldn't sweat it. Best bet is just to replace as many of the above components as possible and you should be fine.

Jimlad, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you replace all of this stuff recently? You might want to check all the components are fitted correctly, though if a garage has been over it, they should have picked this up.....

yeah... all was replaced recently. I'm getting some more stuff done to me car next week so I'll get the garage of choice to check all that again for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links