Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seeing Red

Soeley

Very nicely done....

I noticed that here in my small town, one can get Hammerite mixed in any colour you would like.......

Very nicely done....

I noticed that here in my small town, one can get Hammerite mixed in any colour you would like.......

Nice one Peter. You painted your brake calipers didn't you? That would be great, to get a colour mixed in Hammerite. Imagine, Tartan Hammerite... :lol:

I think that if I get your (or the) color numbers or type... I could ask if this is a color they can mix....

Like the numbers on a waiver when you go painting... must be there...

Painting with Hammerite is nice to do... it's very sticky.. and you have to really wait in between the next layer...

Seems like the color on my Smart, that is Hammerite, is holding up well ...

The original caliper-paint on my iQ is slowly going from bright red to somewhat more orange... :-( Bummer... have to repaint it...

So maybe Hammerite in the right color ... holds better on the long term???

'Brake Caliper paint' for using to paint brake calipers does seem like such a good idea.

Often Cheaper than Hammerite and designed to be heat resistant, comes in a choice of colours and easy to use..

How lucky is that!

george

But but but ... What I am saying... it seems that the original caliper paint .... changes color in time? :ermm:

Toyota sourced & signed off that paint/powder coating,

you will be sourcing and applying this re-coat!, you can do better than Hammerite i would hope.

so happy days.

Had you polished or applied something to your Original Red calipers.

If doing that, you really should look at getting Heat Resistant polish.

Or just revel in those orangy coloured calipers.

george

Edit PS,

They think at long last that they have red pigments that will not fade in sunlight over the long or short passage of time..

Ferrari are charging lots extra for their 'Special Red' paint.

It actually got tried on some Fiats & Alfa Romeos first and seem to works pretty well when not being given special protection, or has been so far for about 6 years.

Time will tell though.

I think that if I get your (or the) color numbers or type... I could ask if this is a color they can mix....

Like the numbers on a waiver when you go painting... must be there...

Painting with Hammerite is nice to do... it's very sticky.. and you have to really wait in between the next layer...

Seems like the color on my Smart, that is Hammerite, is holding up well ...

The original caliper-paint on my iQ is slowly going from bright red to somewhat more orange... :-( Bummer... have to repaint it...

So maybe Hammerite in the right color ... holds better on the long term???

So, essentially, you could provide them with a paint code, or a good photo with the colour on, lets say, Toyota Amethyst/Purple, and they'd mix up some paint for the calipers? Thing is Peter, my Wife has decided I like silver for the calipers. So silver it is... besides, I already got the paint, just waiting for a few good sunny (not too windy) days.

Yes... I agree Bob... the secret word is "Sunny days" ... B)

This is the paint I used... and this paint has gone somewhat faint in time...th_DSC_0716.jpgth_DSC_0717.jpgth_DSC_0718.jpg

You can see it is not so bright red anymore... When I cleaned it with brake-cleaner it got even worse... ! Took the brakedust off... but got very dull...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links