Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 In The Iq

surfcitylocal

I thought to myself, self, wouldn't it be great to steam audio from the internet in my iQ? Yes, self, that would be great. And I further thought, wouldn't it be cool to be able to watch Netflix in the iQ? And wouldn't it really be cool to be able to peruse iq-forums.com from the iQ and on a bigger screen than my Droid Razr? Hell yes that would be great!

I rooted my Razr and now use it as a wifi hot spot (without paying Verizon another $30 per month) and connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the internet through the Razr. Now I can stream music, watch Netflix, check my email, browse websites, use Google Maps, play Angry Birds and do my Facebooking on a 10.1 inch screen!!!!!

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I made the stand out of two microphone goosenecks, and a base. I used a mic clip and modded it to allow me to make brackets to hold the backing plate I made out of some spare plastic sheet. I'll be painting all the parts black but I have a show in the morning and ran out of time. Easy to make. My wife can also use the Tab, it pivots towards her if she wants to access the internet while I'm driving.

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Now, I would never do any of those things while driving of course and you shouldn't either. But I can do it whenever I want while parked.

I have Pandora for streaming music and Google Play music (still uploading close to 13,000 songs) and the 3.5 mm connection actually sounds better than the USB connected iPod.

Oh happy days!

Taz, just one word, Wow! Now for some more. What next? Your car is amazing dude, really. Also, your mind is full of great ideas as to what to put in the iQ next. Funny really how you and David, aka Tarquin the Genius, both have had something to do with the media, radio, TV and so on. Great minds think alike.

I think you should go and show SCION HQ what you have done to your car, let them (or persuade them to) put some of those idea's into new production models.

Incredible. There you go, you 'Are' one of the Incredibles!

:thumbsup: A true :artist: and semi :nerd:

Hi Taz. Very nice work. Over here the Tns 510 isnt that flexable but having said that, i use my iPhone to stream internet radio via the built in stereo bluetooth or can be done using the aux input for better quality but i find there is not a lot in it. You can get a pay as you go sim from the 3 neteork that gives you eat as much data as you like for £10 so can listen to virtually any station in the world on the iQ. I have jailbroken my iohone so can make it into a wireless access point for ipad or laptop use in the car. Now both the iPhone and ipad have video out but the Tns 510 isnt that accomodating ,so whilst moddifying the input for the camera i gave it a second input for a seperate video so o can stream iPhone content i.e music, video, internet on the bigger screen etc. This can be used whilst in motion by passengers. All displayed on the Tns510 Fantastic. Dont you just love technology

David

That things as big as an iQ... How the hell did you fit it in there?

Fish

Thanks for the compliments guys. I had a chance to try it out on the road today. I displayed the iQ at a car show in downtown Los Angeles (took best interior trophy) and the goose neck set up is not as firm as I would like. I'm going to work on a more rigid pole set up. I may even try some 1 inch PVC as a sleeve over the goose neck and see if that helps avoid the swaying from side to side.

There are flexible mounts available to mount the Tab but I always enjoy making my own stuff if I can. More fun that way.

I thought to myself, self, wouldn't it be great to steam audio from the internet in my iQ? Yes, self, that would be great. And I further thought, wouldn't it be cool to be able to watch Netflix in the iQ? And wouldn't it really be cool to be able to peruse iq-forums.com from the iQ and on a bigger screen than my Droid Razr? Hell yes that would be great!

I rooted my Razr and now use it as a wifi hot spot (without paying Verizon another $30 per month) and connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the internet through the Razr. Now I can stream music, watch Netflix, check my email, browse websites, use Google Maps, play Angry Birds and do my Facebooking on a 10.1 inch screen!!!!!

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I made the stand out of two microphone goosenecks, and a base. I used a mic clip and modded it to allow me to make brackets to hold the backing plate I made out of some spare plastic sheet. I'll be painting all the parts black but I have a show in the morning and ran out of time. Easy to make. My wife can also use the Tab, it pivots towards her if she wants to access the internet while I'm driving.

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Now, I would never do any of those things while driving of course and you shouldn't either. But I can do it whenever I want while parked.

I have Pandora for streaming music and Google Play Music (still uploading close to 13,000 songs) and the 3.5 mm connection actually sounds better than the USB connected iPod.

Oh happy days!

Where did you find the flexible mount?

I picked up the goose necks at a local electronics store. They sell audio and microphone equipment there as well.

I was not happy with the sturdiness of the goose neck while the car was in motion. It had a tendency to move around with the turns and braking.

I used some 3/4" PVC pipe, a cap and a washer I made out of some spare plastic to make a support for the lower part of the goose neck. It is much more sturdy now and I am pleased with the support it is providing for the Tab.

DSCN2199.jpg

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2191.jpg

Whilst I commend the effort, there's a bit too much going on for my liking. I'll stick to my ipod nano through aux. :driving:

Looks good! Does it have a gps like function like android phones?

It does Corey. I have the navigation in the head unit so this one in the Tab is redundant.

Hmmm my iQ doesnt have nav so it might be a really cool alternative, I've got some thinking to do :) !!

I like it Taz, however, there is something that spoils the great job you've done in fitting it, and fixing the sway. The cables. I expect that will be your next job, to hide them. We know you like a tidy set up, so we'll be waiting to see what you've done next. ;)

Fantastic job, only one problem as far as I can see

Nothing but the beat- David Guetta, Oh dear :sick: :sick: :D: :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I like it Taz, however, there is something that spoils the great job you've done in fitting it, and fixing the sway. The cables. I expect that will be your next job, to hide them. We know you like a tidy set up, so we'll be waiting to see what you've done next. ;)

I toyed with different ideas Bob. Since it's not a permanent fixture in the iQ I haven't worried too much about it. A Samsung docking unit would probably be the easiest solution.

Nice job Taz, could I suggest an alternative mount?

It’s a bit more complex, but I think it would be neat if it works out.

It would be a hinged swivel mount, that would be fastened (from the passenger’s seat perspective) to the left hand side of the knee panel (where the glove bag would go) up against the central column.

When folded back it would sit flush up against the knee panel, just as the glove bag would, from that position it could swivel down for passenger viewing or swivel and hinge round to be viewed by the driver.

I hope I have managed to describe it properly without pictures, it would be like some of the wall mounts you get for flat screen TV’s but in miniature.

Nice job Taz, could I suggest an alternative mount? It’s a bit more complex, but I think it would be neat if it works out. It would be a hinged swivel mount, that would be fastened (from the passenger’s seat perspective) to the left hand side of the knee panel (where the glove bag would go) up against the central column. When folded back it would sit flush up against the knee panel, just as the glove bag would, from that position it could swivel down for passenger viewing or swivel and hinge round to be viewed by the driver. I hope I have managed to describe it properly without pictures, it would be like some of the wall mounts you get for flat screen TV’s but in miniature.

Great minds think alike. That's how I had originally planned on mounting the unit. I'm not going to leave it in the car all the time so I opted for this route, it provides easy removal and shows no trace of installation when it's not present in the iQ.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links