Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help For A Potential Buyer

monkfeesh

Hi all,

i have been reading these forums for a fair while now, and I've noticed you are a dedicated bunch and you support each other with all matter of things.

i am very interested in the iQ, but i have some questions i'd like to ask as its quite a big commitment money wise and i would like to get my head around a few things first.

To give you an idea of myself. Im not too big into cars. i currently drive a 53 reg Corsa SXi which I've had from new. Im very happy with it, but i get bored easily with things, especially technology and the such, and i feel its time for a change of car.

Ultimately I'm a local driver, with the odd excursion on the motorway, so my first question would be how does the iQ feel on a motorway? I've read mixed reviews about it over the internet. How does it fair over long journeys, with/without passengers or luggage?

Im a big technology fan, so I'm more interested about whats going on inside the car and its options.

my big question is regarding the TNS510. I've found it tough to find any real detail about this option on the internet, so I'm looking out for honest opinions from people who have this installed.

1: most important for me, iPod. i currently have an aftermarket full connection Alpine iPod stereo in my car, with the cable wired into the glovebox so i leave it in at all times. i noticed the usb connection in the iQ is down by the gear stick. is the ONLY place it can be placed, or can it be modified somewhere else (for example so i have the iPod in the bag on the passenger side out of sight?)

If this is not the case with moving the USB connection for the iPod, then:

2: USB stick via the front of the TNS510. i saw on someones post on here a clever SMALL usb stick permanently connected this way. Now from my investigating I've read issues with capacity and a total number of songs regardless of size of the USB stick. is this still the case or have things changed since then?

3: control of iPod/usb stick. How does it operate for people. is it easy to navigate the iPod via the touch screen? do you get full artwork/songs details on the screen? is this the same for using a USB stick. Does the usb stick have to be filled in a particular manner? folders or just mp3s direct to the stick?

4: Nav system. Ive only ever used a TomTom, so how does this system compare? basically am i gonna get lost? (I'm in UK!!)

5: DAB option. does anyone have this? is it worth future proofing now?

If anyone has a video of their TNS510 in action i would love to see it. or if its at all possible for someone to make a brief video to email me that would be greatly appreciated. I've searched youtube but nothing really comes up.

are the rear sensors worth the option?

another thing that came to mind recently is I'm assuming theres not a spare tyre in the car? or am i missing something?

sorry for the long post, but I'm sure you can understand why i would like to ask the questions.

I look forward to your replies, and if i think of anything else i will add accordingly.

many thanks

Jon

Hi Jon

I can help you a bit with the TNS510. One of the gripes people have with the 510 is that it doesnt have camera alerts or road speed alerts. You would neet the Tns 350 for that. As far as ipod intigration goes it is a set of two leads , one from the back of the head unit to the consul near the gear stick and appears as a socket. Not a usb socket. A special one. The other lead is from that socket to your ipod/iphone etc. There is a blanking plade under the steering wheel on the dash where it can go but thats about it. To extend this cable is a fair bit of work ad thete are a lot of screened wires in it. As fsr as giving visual artwork. The answer is no just menu's on a touch screen. Pretty basic really. As far as the sat nav goes. It gives you postal addrss but not door number and i have found i end up either driving up and down the road or using my tomtom on my pjone for more accurate detail. Having said that i find it nice to use. Hope this helps

David

Hi Jon and welcome aboard!! Hope you find that the iQ is the right car for you...

David has already covered the TNS510 (and in any case our iQ doesn't have one)

We, like you, only do occasional motorway driving, but have never noticed an issue with stability or side winds (certainly nothing like Smarts which are horrendous in windy conditions on motorways)

Parking sensors are really helpful. The car is so short that you believe you are a lot closer than you really are to the vehicle behind. With the sensors you get the final continuous beep when you are about 9" away.

No spare tyre. You get an aerosol can and electric pump to allow you to effect a temporary repair and get the tyre inflated again.

Hope this helps

Dave

hi

my iq3 spends its life on the A14 and M6 , 90 mile round trip day in day out. it's as good as anything else on motorways etc. doesn't seem to get too affected by side winds, no buffeting, just gets on with it. i only notice any differeance on hills , where the RAV will accelerate up and the IQ just toodles up in its own time.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Is the TNS350 an option, i remember seeing the youtube video, but never found out anymore about it, and its not on the website, just the TNS510.

Does anyone here have that system?

apart from my main queries about the NAV system, all the others seem happily covered.

Just wanna get round to test driving one now. then need to decide wether or not i can afford to go for it. 0% really helps at the moment.

In the UK if you want satnav the tns510 is the only option. In ireland you can choose the tns 510 or tns 350 which has speed cameta alerts and road speed. Yes quite a few people on here have the tns 510 which puts an extra £1000-1500 on the cost of buying your car

David

Hi all,

i have been reading these forums for a fair while now, and I've noticed you are a dedicated bunch and you support each other with all matter of things.

i am very interested in the iQ, but i have some questions i'd like to ask as its quite a big commitment money wise and i would like to get my head around a few things first.

To give you an idea of myself. Im not too big into cars. i currently drive a 53 reg Corsa SXi which I've had from new. Im very happy with it, but i get bored easily with things, especially technology and the such, and i feel its time for a change of car.

Ultimately I'm a local driver, with the odd excursion on the motorway, so my first question would be how does the iQ feel on a motorway? I've read mixed reviews about it over the internet. How does it fair over long journeys, with/without passengers or luggage?

Im a big technology fan, so I'm more interested about whats going on inside the car and its options.

my big question is regarding the TNS510. I've found it tough to find any real detail about this option on the internet, so I'm looking out for honest opinions from people who have this installed.

1: most important for me, iPod. i currently have an aftermarket full connection Alpine iPod stereo in my car, with the cable wired into the glovebox so i leave it in at all times. i noticed the usb connection in the iQ is down by the gear stick. is the ONLY place it can be placed, or can it be modified somewhere else (for example so i have the iPod in the bag on the passenger side out of sight?)

2: USB stick via the front of the TNS510. i saw on someones post on here a clever SMALL usb stick permanently connected this way. Now from my investigating I've read issues with capacity and a total number of songs regardless of size of the USB stick. is this still the case or have things changed since then?

3: control of iPod/usb stick. How does it operate for people. is it easy to navigate the iPod via the touch screen? do you get full artwork/songs details on the screen? is this the same for using a USB stick. Does the usb stick have to be filled in a particular manner? folders or just mp3s direct to the stick?

4: Nav system. Ive only ever used a TomTom, so how does this system compare? basically am i gonna get lost? (I'm in UK!!)

If anyone has a video of their TNS510 in action i would love to see it. or if its at all possible for someone to make a brief video to email me that would be greatly appreciated. I've searched youtube but nothing really comes up.

another thing that came to mind recently is I'm assuming theres not a spare tyre in the car? or am i missing something?

sorry for the long post, but I'm sure you can understand why i would like to ask the questions.

I look forward to your replies, and if i think of anything else i will add accordingly.

many thanks

Jon

You were looking at my post and the micro USB stick I leave in place all the time. It works very well and you can search through it on the TBS510. The navigation on the 510 is very good and on par (apart from speed cameras) with Tom Tom in many ways. The TNS350 is almost exactly the same as the 510 with navigation, but does include the speed cameras and alerts. Tarquin (David) has one, but has had trouble getting it to work. Although I wanted one, I'm now thinking of a PogoAlert plus to take care of speed cameras.

I bluetooth music to the 510, even though I have the iPod/iPhone connection.

I have the iQ3 multidrive which is very smooth to drive and is fine on motorways. I have driven with my wife and son from London to York and London to Cornwall with luggage for a weekend with no problem.

Depending on whether you drive into London and want to save on congestion charges. If you do, then the iQ1 or 2 would be fine. I don't, so went for the more powerful 1.33 engine. It's great on motorways and is more than capable of keeping up with traffic and probably going well over the national motorway speed limit. Having owned the 1.33 litre iQ3 for a year, I would definitely go for this over the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre. It's just my view and others are passionate about there iQ1 & 2's

I only test drove the iQ3 6 speed and multidrive and went for the auto in the end. It is such a smooth drive. Best yo test drive all models and pick the one you like best. I would also go for climate control, keyless entry, auto wipers, auto lights, navigation, leather, reversing sensors etc. again my view and others on the forum are just ad passionate about not having them. If you like your tech and luxury, they are a must have.

You will know from the forum that we love our iQ's and owning one makes you feel part of a special club, so why not join it.

Hi all,

many thanks

Jon

You were looking at my post and the micro USB stick I leave in place all the time. It works very well and you can search through it on the TNS510. The navigation on the 510 is very good and on par (apart from speed cameras) with Tom Tom in many ways. The TNS350 is almost exactly the same as the 510 with navigation, but does include the speed cameras and alerts. Tarquin (David) has one, but has had trouble getting it to work. Although I wanted one, I'm now thinking of a PogoAlert plus to take care of speed cameras.

I bluetooth music to the 510, even though I have the iPod/iPhone connection.

I have the iQ3 multidrive which is very smooth to drive and is fine on motorways. I have driven with my wife and son from London to York and London to Cornwall with luggage for a weekend with no problem.

Depending on whether you drive into London and want to save on congestion charges. If you do, then the iQ1 or 2 would be fine. I don't, so went for the more powerful 1.33 engine. It's great on motorways and is more than capable of keeping up with traffic and probably going well over the national motorway speed limit. Having owned the 1.33 litre iQ3 for a year, I would definitely go for this over the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre. It's just my view and others are passionate about there iQ1 & 2's

I only test drove the iQ3 6 speed and multidrive and went for the auto in the end. It is such a smooth drive. Best yo test drive all models and pick the one you like best. I would also go for climate control, keyless entry, auto wipers, auto lights, navigation, leather, reversing sensors etc. again my view and others on the forum are just ad passionate about not having them. If you like your tech and luxury, they are a must have.

You will know from the forum that we love our iQ's and owning one makes you feel part of a special club, so why not join it.

thanks for all the advice, i will take it all into account.

to be honest, i dunno how much of an effect not having speed camera detection would be on me. I'm not exactly the type of driver to go nuts on the motorway anyway....

I've gone 13 years so far without any sort of ticket....uh oh, shouldn't say that, now it will happen!!!

@marcandsebe just a quick question regarding using the usb for audio, does it show the full id3 tags from the mp3? or does it just show filename?

also whats the song limit?

@marcandsebe just a quick question regarding using the usb for audio, does it show the full id3 tags from the mp3? or does it just show filename? also whats the song limit?

Yes it displays name and artist etc. Some photos of the different views.

I think the number of tracks is only limited by the size of the SD card.

I created and downloaded to my SD on a MacBook Pro

@marcandsebe just a quick question regarding using the usb for audio, does it show the full id3 tags from the mp3? or does it just show filename? also whats the song limit?

post-104298-0-89379200-1337427362_thumb.

post-104298-0-10239300-1337427381_thumb.

post-104298-0-07499200-1337427404_thumb.

post-104298-0-28681900-1337427420_thumb.

post-104298-0-42598400-1337427652_thumb.

to be honest, i dunno how much of an effect not having speed camera detection would be on me. I'm not exactly the type of driver to go nuts on the motorway anyway....

I've gone 13 years so far without any sort of ticket....uh oh, shouldn't say that, now it will happen!!!

It is all too easy to get caught.

In my case after 40 odd years of not getting caught I went on a route I hadn't used before and zap, that was it, 34 in a 30 zone. I did the option of the "speed awareness classes" so no conviction, but it really spoils your day.

I have a TNS510 and use another gadget for speed camera warnings.

I keep to limits but it is so easy just to slightly exceed the limit, and that is all it takes.

Here in Fife they only use these mobile cameras which pop up all over the place, so it is good to have warnings of where they might be.

It is all too easy to get caught.

In my case after 40 odd years of not getting caught I went on a route I hadn't used before and zap, that was it, 34 in a 30 zone. I did the option of the "speed awareness classes" so no conviction, but it really spoils your day.

I have a TNS510 and use another gadget for speed camera warnings.

I keep to limits but it is so easy just to slightly exceed the limit, and that is all it takes.

Here in Fife they only use these mobile cameras which pop up all over the place, so it is good to have warnings of where they might be.

Yes I got caught a few weeks back and am going on the speed awareness course for £95. 40mph in a 30 on the A39 in Sommerset. I am looking at the PogoAlert Plus

http://www.activegps.co.uk/pogo-alert-plus.htm?gclid=CN7Hw_erjLACFcwNtAod5BYypA

http://www.pogo-gps...._alert_plus.php

I would rather invest in that than a gear shift indicator for the manual iQ's thats of no particular use on another thread. Just my opinion.

thanks for the images.

thanks for the images.

Thats ok. The TNS510 works very well with the SD card and also with the iPhone over bluetooth. You can set the car to automatically start bluetooth streaming as soon as you start the car. I really like that.

Marc

although u can't play the iphone/iPod from the usb at the front of the unit, can it charge the iPhone? also can u control the iPhone from the unit via bluetooth, or do u do your song changing via the iPhone?

although u can't play the iphone/iPod from the usb at the front of the unit, can it charge the iPhone? also can u control the iPhone from the unit via bluetooth, or do u do your song changing via the iPhone?

Have not tried the USB for charging as the TNS510 has a dedicated iPhone socket and lead. This charges it up.

I use a Brodit mount for the iPhone. It just sticks on and can be removed.

post-104298-0-00488100-1337434561_thumb.

post-104298-0-72278400-1337434594_thumb.

post-104298-0-79816900-1337434626_thumb.

once again these images are great. so the iPod connection by the gear stick is that a usual USB, or is it a special cable? so i assume all the iQs come with the iPod integration now if u choose the TNS510, because at first you had to pay separate?

So is the iPhone fully controlled on the TNS510 if connected via bluetooth, or do you select/change songs on the phone itself?

once again these images are great. so the iPod connection by the gear stick is that a usual USB, or is it a special cable? so i assume all the iQs come with the iPod integration now if u choose the TNS510, because at first you had to pay separate?

So is the iPhone fully controlled on the TNS510 if connected via bluetooth, or do you select/change songs on the phone itself?

Its a special cable, not a USB. I brought my iQ ex demo and it had everything in it. You would have to ask the dealer if its included. Despite the lack of speed cameras, I would still go for the TNS510. Its a good navigation unit.

you've been very kind in replying to my questions. that goes for everyone.

now just to organise that darn test drive. :)

you've been very kind in replying to my questions. that goes for everyone.

now just to organise that darn test drive. :)

Once TNS510 is connected with the iPhone through the lead, you can only access the music through the TNS510. It shows playlists, artists, albums etc.

Get that test drive booked in. You will love it.

i understand that, but not to sound like a bore, but how about via bluetooth only? control via tns510, or iPhone?

thanks for the images.

This is what the connection looks like for the iQ

post-104298-0-98399900-1337436545_thumb.

post-104298-0-08555300-1337436573_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links