Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does Any Body Know The Location Od The Iat Sensor?

Heathie

Hi, I'm sure if this question has been asked before?

But does any body know the location of the IAT Sensor/plug?

Many thanks

Hi Heathie

I have the workshop manual on CD and bizarrely its buried and a lot of things to remove to get to it including removing the bumper and a plate covering the under side of the engine. Too much to describe here and detailed diagrams

David

Thanks Tarquin,

Ive changed my mind now, i was going to get one of those chip/resisters and see how it goes but after looking in to it further ive found that they can bugger your engine up by running it to rich.

The other thing is that the "map" continuously updates so not sure haw that effects your plans

david

Is the chip resistor used to give it more power? If so is it the 1.0L model? If that's the case, why did you guys not go for the 1.33L. It has plenty of power without taking the risk of mucking up your 1.0L engine doing modifications. And we all know you should really inform your insurance company. If you have an accident and you have not told them about it, you won't be insured. I have not driven a 1.0L iQ, so don't know what it drives like, but it obviously underpowered, as so many of you want to do something about it. My iQ3 is more than powerful enough, especially for the size of the car. It suprises people how well it goes.

My understanding is its only the diesel model that can be "chipped". The petrol one' have a variable ECU map so making any changes would get over- ridden

David

The IQ 1.0L is perfectly suited to the car and gives an excellent balance of adequate power and economy.

It will never be a racing car but gets from A to B deceptively quickly and it is nice to get average MPG figures of over 55 without having to drive carefully or make an effort to save fuel.

Anyone wanting a hot hatch should look elsewhere, they obviously have other priorities.

The IQ 1.0L is perfectly suited to the car and gives an excellent balance of adequate power and economy.

It will never be a racing car but gets from A to B deceptively quickly and it is nice to get average MPG figures of over 55 without having to drive carefully or make an effort to save fuel.

Anyone wanting a hot hatch should look elsewhere, they obviously have other priorities.

Yes but why do so many of the iQ1 & 2 owners want to hot the car up. I would not say the iQ3 is over powered either. It's about the right power for the car.

I bought my IQ2, 1) for fuel economy, 2) cheap Insurance and 3) zero TAX.

If any performance MOD's are done correctly then The MPG will rise and power will rise.

Also alot of the MOD's carried out are to fit lower uprated springs this makes the IQ even better and more fun to drive.

Thats why we like to play with our little IQ's.

I for one cannot drive around in a car that looks the same as every one elses.

I bought my IQ2, 1) for fuel economy, 2) cheap Insurance and 3) zero TAX.

If any performance MOD's are done correctly then The MPG will rise and power will rise.

Also alot of the MOD's carried out are to fit lower uprated springs this makes the IQ even better and more fun to drive.

Thats why we like to play with our little IQ's.

I for one cannot drive around in a car that looks the same as every one elses.

The iQ3 is hardly expensive on insurance, reasonable on fuel consumption and would hardly break the bank at £30 per year tax, but on the other hand, if you hot up your 1.0L CORRECTLY (and there is not much out there in the way of performance mods) the insurance will be considerably higher plus fuel consumption too. You also talk about playing with your little iQ's as if I don't have one.

That's a fair comment, but if the 1.0L engine is so suited to the iQ, why do people want to hot it up?

That's a fair comment, but if the 1.0L engine is so suited to the iQ, why do people want to hot it up?

It is the nature of man to want to improve their cars or make them different to others of the same make even though the results may not always be an improvement.

I bought my IQ for economy, zero road tax, style, equipment, build quality and the difference factor was already there 3 years ago as so few were on the road.

I trust Toyota to have got their engineering sums right with regard to output and gearing in relation to economy and driveability and I am perfectly happy with the looks as standard although I have added the rear skirt as the rear does look a little unfinished without it.

I satisfy my need to "fiddle" these days by modifying my old MG, tuning it and altering suspension settings etc.

The 1.0L IQ is fine the way it is, for me.

If I modified my IQ2 and lost it's economy, it wouldn't really make sense for where and how I drive and why I bought it in the first place.

It is the nature of man to want to improve their cars or make them different to others of the same make even though the results may not always be an improvement.

I bought my IQ for economy, zero road tax, style, equipment, build quality and the difference factor was already there 3 years ago as so few were on the road.

I trust Toyota to have got their engineering sums right with regard to output and gearing in relation to economy and driveability and I am perfectly happy with the looks as standard although I have added the rear skirt as the rear does look a little unfinished without it.

I satisfy my need to "fiddle" these days by modifying my old MG, tuning it and altering suspension settings etc.

The 1.0L IQ is fine the way it is, for me.

If I modified my IQ2 and lost it's economy, it wouldn't really make sense for where and how I drive and why I bought it in the first place.

So this post is not for you because you don't want to increase the performance of the 1.0L iQ. You want to keep it standard and not lose economy.

All I have asked is why buy a 1.0L and then try to increase its performance, when you can already buy the1.33L with plenty of it. My question was only about the 1.0L and 1.33L iQ engines. Nothing to do about other modifications. Plus if you inform the insurance company that you have made engine performance enhancements to your iQ1 or 2,, the insurance premium would probably be higher than a iQ3

not sure the 1.33 was out when i bought mine. but then again i did little research before i bought it

David

You know I only started this topic to find out where the IAT Sensors was.

Any way the 1.33 was not on sale when i bought my IQ2 other wise I would have bought one, and I still would have modified it, because thats what I like to do.

If people want to modify their cars or just keep them standard then surely that is totaly up to them.

PLEASE SEE MY NEXT TOPIC, I FEEL ITS VERY IMPORTANT

re

the 'Inlet Air Temperature sensor',( IAT)

Is it not obvious by being after the airbox on the inlet?

re

the merits of the faster iQ3.

A 1.3 Multidrive is not so much more powerful or faster than a 1.0 Multidrive actually,

other than on paper.

If anyone has not driven both then they should really before commenting on the power of both.

The 1.3 might feel more relaxed but you are using around 15-20% more petrol if driving the same route at the same speed.

(is relaxed driving not more boring than involved driving)

I have noticed in my years of driving that 30 mph is the same speed in what ever you are driving

so is 60mph and so is 70mph.

A 1.0 will sit fine at 80mph and get to that just about as fast as a 1.3 does.

Just you have to rev that 1.0 harder and use a bit of fuel but no more than the 1.3 is,

the 1.3 will not be pulling away from you.

(a 50cc moped/scooter through town can make every traffic light seem exciting,

so can a 1.0 iQ, where in a 1.3 you might just feel like you are going to work)

If you do actually when commuting get from 0-62 mph 3 seconds faster in one vehicle other than the next, you are just up the back of the queue of traffic or the car in front 3 seconds quicker.

The 1.3 is no ball of fire, but its a great car if a little flawed.

The 1.0 has the same flaws but the advantage of the revvy 3 cylinder engine that feels and sounds good ringing the neck of and still getting better Fuel Consumption than in the 1.3.

In my experience if you start a journey with 2 cars a 1.3 and a 1.0 and travel 100 miles, you will both get there at the same time and have done the same average speed over that journey, and the 1.0 will have used less petrol.

george

A 1.3 Multidrive is not so much more powerful or faster than a 1.0 Multidrive actually,

other than on paper.

If anyone has not driven both then they should really before commenting on the power of both.

The 1.3 might feel more relaxed but you are using around 15-20% more petrol if driving the same route at the same speed.

(is relaxed driving not more boring than involved driving)

I have noticed in my years of driving that 30 mph is the same speed in what ever you are driving

so is 60mph and so is 70mph.

A 1.0 will sit fine at 80mph and get to that as fast as a 1.3 does.

JUst you have to rev that 1.0 harder, the 1.3 will not be pulling away from you.

(a 50cc moped through town can make every traffic light seem exciting, so can a 1.0 iQ, where in a 1.3 you might just feel like you are going to work)

If you do actually when commuting get from 0-62 mph 3 seconds faster in one vehicle other than the next, you are just up the back of the queue of traffic or the car in front 3 seconds quicker.

The 1.3 is no ball of fire, but its a great car if a little flawed.

The 1.0 has the same flaws but the advantage of the revvy 3 cylinder engine that feels and sounds good ringing the neck of and still getting better Fuel Consumption than in the 1.3.

In my experience if you start a journey with 2 cars a 1.3 and a 1.0 and travel 100 miles, you will both get there at the same time and have done the same average speed over that journey, and the 1.0 will have used less petrol.

george

I still don't believe the 2 engines have the same performance George and I definitely don't believe getting to 60 or 70 mph will be the same times. The Toyota figures cannot be that far out. One has 67 and the other 98 bhp. It just does not add up. We will have to take the 2 cars to Santa Pod for a drag race HaHa!!!!

If you are taking them to Santa Pod then you will be wanting the 1.3,

if you want a race up a narrow and hilly back country road, there will be no difference in the slightly lardier 1.3 with its bigger wheels and less responsive engine in conjunction with the CVT.

Maybe just the iQ3 driver will be frustrated by having a 1.0 up its chuff or not being able to keep up with it. Depends who is in front first, bacause there will be not much difference in the cross country speeds IME

if you want to drive on the public road sensibly and at legal speeds then there is not much difference just more smiles in a 1.0 Multidrive maybe and more cash left in your pocket.

NIKE said it best.

Best drive something before commenting all the time on it being inferior.

re

the 1.0 & tuning i would not bother personally as you are really going to achieve very little without spending too much money and reducing its reliability.

Cheapest performance is always achieved first by making somethings lighter.

eg, and they are a PITA to start messing about with if its not something you fully understand.

I dont but luckily i know a man that does.

george

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links