Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dead 1989 Corolla

natcire

Good afternoon...I'm from across the pond and I need help with my 1989 Corolla. It's been sitting outside my garage for 15 months now and I would like to start driving it, again.

It is carburated. It ran very well and then suddenly started to have hiccups. Car would die going around corners or when putting on brakes. It would stop and then not want to restart for 10 to 15 times then big bellow of smoke. Start drive and then hiccup going around corners or when stepping on brakes. Drove to the closest mechanic with feet gingerly stepping on throttle and clutch to shift or brake so car won't die. The mechanic took me for $480. Fixed it drove for 3 days and again same symptoms. Now it is sitting infront of garage.

I managed to get the in-dash computer to give these errors:

1-2 RPM signal

3-1 Air flow meter signal

4-1 Throttle position signal

Would greatly appreciate any insight or suggestions. Not very mechanical but willing to try to learn.

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Eric

:bookworm:

A very easy way to diagnose and repair a car that old is either to go to a Toyota dealer and pay for an estimate at least, or to go to other shop with a good reputation that works with Toyotas and ask for an estimate too.

That car is around 15 years old, so many things could be wrong like the timing belt, air flow meter, throttle, ignition, and many other things, but probably is possible to fix everything...for a price.

What I mean is the kind of repair it requires is beyond routine maintenance by far. It is a specialized job, that maybe a few people can do, but certified technicians might do better and quicker.

A good Toyota dealer may help, but you have to search and ask for recommendations.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

sounds like a bloked/very dirty air filter, run it a short drive without a filter on (not down dusty unmade roads) and see if the symptoms still exist if they do it to do with fuel delivery, start the car up, let it get to runnign temp then with the filter off the carb open the throttle until the revs hit about 3500 -4000 rpm then take a clean rag whilst keeping the revs up stuff the rag over the inlet to the carb, keep the throttle open and the car wil start to die, lift the rag off before it dies and keep the throttle inthe same place it will cough and splutter as it gets back up to speed, repeat the whole thing two or three times.

What this does is causes the car to run in neat petrol with no air, this in turn cleans all the carbon and muck out of the carb.

good luck.

Check and replace as neccessary:

Air filter

Fuel filter

Oil filter

Spark plugs

Ignition leads

Dizzy components

Then if problem persits, get the timing checked and altered acordingly by a competent mechanic.

:thumbsup:

HTH

Thanks to all for reply. Will try with new plugs, wires etc. can't afford taking to mechanic or dealer since car is no longer running...won't start. And towing cost over $80. Across the pond = Bellevue, Washington USA. Two blocks from Microsoft campus...perhaps I should go around with a hat for loose change..

Thanks to all

Natcire,

Hey!! I'm in the Reno/Tahoe area. What engine does your 'Rolla have? If you're looking for domestic places to shop for your rolla, try here....

http://www.vpower.net/catalog/

They also have forums for American 'Rolla owners. But it's down. You can keep checking back at it like I do at http://www.vvti.net

If it were running, you'd be able to find locals that would help you with your car.

:arrgg-matey:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links