Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

*urgent* Iq Worse After Egrv Recall Work

aaronfife

Been having a huge headache with the IQ since it's came out Western Toyota a week ago. It was in for the EGRV issue and has had it all replaced under warranty. Now the problems....

Car can loose power when driving in 1st/2nd which is strange as the above has been done.

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp was on most of the way to my partners work (8mile) The orange one that looks like a engine she stated on the phone.

The VSC OFF lamp was flashing too - not sure why that is as she doesn't drive hard.

Is my IQ giving up hope? I really need advice asap so I can pick the car back up and store it at my dads until the service department at Toyota is open, Monday morning. Could this be due to the cat being replaced? Or some other problem?

Hope someone can help as were both very worried about this car now - and are starting to loose massive faith with car.

Thanks Aaron

May I also add that it fails to start now since the works been done. It can take a minute or so to start. You can turn the key and nothing. It doesn't even turn over like a flat Battery would. Then after a short while - it starts fine.

Trying to list all the problems to help you guys help me out on this one

Can you see any connectors or cables going to the EGR valve? Just thinking maybe a connection hasn't been made properly or maybe a pipe has a leak?

Sounds like a dealer visit again though as it may have recorded a fault now the light has come on and will need reading and clearing. Don't give up on the car just yet......

Craig.

The car is in town at my gf's work, I might get someone to run me down so I can inspect it. Is it ok to drive though with this fault on the dash?

Hmmmm, Not sure really but if you can get it home I would take a chance. Check the Lambda sensor cables too as they probably would have been moved or disconnected when the Cat was changed. I think there are two sensors looking at your pictures on the other thread, one on top of the cat and one below.

Sounds like something has happened since the work was done unless you were unlucky and got a faulty valve? Not sure how that would effect the cranking of the engine though?

Craig.

David might throw light on your electrics i hope.

In what order did things happen, was it OK coming home and after , then you decided to do an oli change days later.

Or was it playing up, but you did an oil change anyway?

Was it a Filter and oil change?

If the car was running fine from the Warranty work untill you doing the oil change then with the greatest respect i suspect you have done something.

Hopefully just an Earth wire or Engine Earth strap type thing, loose or detached,

or did you short a spanner across something, (ECU is OK i hope)

were you carefull not to?

I suspect this due to the 'VCS off' lamp flashing

did you do as shown?

http://toyotaownersc...howtopic=135807

Shame you never had them do the oil change during the time of the Warranty work, but too late to cry over spilt milk now!

All the best and i hope you get things sorted OK.

george

EDIT PS

Sorry i missed the bit about the slow starting after the Warranty work being done,

pity that was not the point you contacted them and not now, difficult.

Just need to see what the story is.

You do know that if you hold down the VCS for over 3 seconds it does stay off untill the car is next stopped and ignition turned off.

Loose cable, wire, earth etc should be suspected among the things the professionals wil know.

sorry, i am no help.

Thanks both for the help.

I shall check it all including, as mentioned all valves and connectors.

If all sensors are fine, will I disconnect them and reattach all to make sure?

Honestly George that information is great. Picked up car and what do you know.... All seems fine but these things are a concern as you can imagine and Im sure it will haunt me so going to check it out shortly in paws garage :)

Hi Aron,

Try resetting your ECU.

Firstly disconnect your Battery and leave for 20 minutes.

Then reconnect it and leave it for 5 minutes.

Then turn your ingnition to position 1 and leave for 5 minutes.

Then turn it to position 2 and leave for 5 minutes.

And lastly turn to start the engine and leave to tick over for a further 5 minutes, DO NOT TOUCH THE ACCELERATOR.

Turn the ignition off and it should now be reset.

PLEASE NOTE, DO NOT TURN THE KEY BACK WHEN MOVING FROM POSITION 1 TO 2 AND TO START.

I hope this helps, it works with most cars, I know it works with the IQ's.

Sorry to hear of your drama Aaron.

I hope you manage to find an obvious cause such as a displaced connector, but in any event please keep us informed.

My IQ is due it's first service at Western (because it is very convenient for me) next month but I may take it to the dealership in Falkirk instead if your problem is in some way attributable to them.You are correct about Mr Shaw by the way, an expert in glib BS.

If you do have to take it back to Western I wouldn't volunteer the information that you changed the oil yourself unless they ask you specifically about it...you don't want to give them a reason to be difficult about who's fault it is!

John

Thanks very much Heatie i will definitely try resetting the ECU tomorrow. :)

John - if i do take it back yes, the last oil change was by them ;)

A update from tonight - Well started the car countless times tonight as done a 30mile trip to my fathers and friend and car was perfect. No lights on and started straight away!

I jacked her up and all caps/connections and plugs all tight in their holders. Lambda sensor fine and double checked all exhaust connections... Least I now know everything is how it should be.

I will certainly keep all of you updated on how the car reacts in the next few days and I can thank everyone enough on the advice - this club is definitely the best I've ever experienced :)

I wonder if after the Warranty work was done and the Battery had been disconnected,

the ECU had not been re-set before the job was signed off!

Small point,

Open forum here, read by Toyota Dealers & Technicians possibly,

you have now posted about your Home Maintenance schedule, so honesty is now the best policy i would say..

george

Thats what I thought - maybe ECU didn't get reset. Im going ahead today so will see how it goes.

Im just being honest on here as i would be with any garage. It's a shame garages or sales team have to cover themselfs and lie but hey ho, that's garages for u. I am perfectly aware public can view this and apologise for any wrong meaning. I have a recipe of when things were carried out but after visually checking them, its proof of the pudding.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links