Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Corolla Start Idle High

ssd16

Hello All,

I have 1000 KM on a 2004 corolla 1.8L engine. When the car starts the RPM races initially to 2400-2500 RPM, then settles to 2000 for about 4 seconds, then down to 1600 till it warms up. Told the service department this and they said "bring it in". Told me they changed the throttle body but the car still does the same thing. I don't think it is good for a cold engine to rev that high on start. What do you guys (gals) think? What do you think the solution is?

Thanks.

PM

Mine does a similar thing too. According to the AA magazine the faster your engine reaches temperature the better. leting it walm up befre driving off is meant to be worse.

they should change settings on your ecu like idle rpm to 1000 or something

but hell..i dont know nothing on new corollas

All modern ECU based cars do this - it's perfectly normal behaviour, all of our current cars and our previous few have all done similar things - it's absolutely nothing to worry about, the idle revs should drop to a 1000 or less once it has warmed up a bit.

Thanks guys, I was worried about the long term engine wear effects. There is little oil on the valve train on start up and I thought the high RPM might have an adverse effect on engine life.

PM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links