Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4a-fe Engine

enigmA

i just picked up a 91 rolla seca ultima at an auction in oz for $5600 with 170000kms on it. the car is in mint condition and has only had 1 previous owner (lady driver). it has the 76kw 4A-FE engine in it and i was wondering whether it is worthy of modifying to try to increase power to similar specs to that of the 4A-GE 100kw enigine, or whether it is better off buying a 4A-GE engine instead.

I also have a 4a-fe engine in my corolla. From what I've found, engine numbers with the G represents performance engines while the F represents a more economical engine. Although the block is supposed to be similar the head cannot be interchanged.

If you want to get more power from your engine, you could shave the head. While you're at it get the head ported and polished.

Another possibility is to lighten your flywheel, but if this is going to be a street car only take 1/3 the weight off. I.E the new weight of the flywheel will be 2/3 its original weight.

You can also install a performance header in your car and remove the catalytic converter. If you want to keep the catalytic converter, you could install a performance catalytic converter instead.

:thumbsup:

Ok. Here's a related question. What about stroking it up and putting longer rods in??

When you put longer rods, you will increase your compression. BUT since the rods are longer your piston does not go as far down the cylinder decreasing the volume of air/fuel mixture to be ignited. This will result in the engine having to do more revs to achieve its normal output. for example, if you were cruising down the highway at 100km/h at 2500 rpm, when you put long rods it you'll be at 100km/h at 3000 rpm (figures are made up to emphasize the point ...these are not actual figures)

Another option is to use bigger pistons (diameter). This will increase the volume of the air/fuel mixture to be ignited. This larger volume is also a drawback since you'll end up loosing torque.

Your best bet for increasing torque easily and cheaply would be to shave the head and not touch any pistons or rods.

From what my mates in Austrailia tell me, shaving a head will cost approx AUS$50.00

BTW.... a sure way to get more power with the least hassle would be to use a drop K&N air filter in your car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links