Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cyclists.....................again?

Bizarra

You want an apology? You got it. Or not

Last Wednesday, I wrote about cyclists and the irresponsible ones who make getting through the city centre a bloody nightmare at times.

I also pointed out that if you're riding a bike and blithely cycle through a red light then you can't complain if you get creamed by an oncoming car.

This piece of logic seems rather obvious, but not according to some cyclists who were outraged at the suggestion that they should obey the rules of the road like everyone else.

In fact, according one rather hilariously self-righteous reader: "You are advocating that cyclists should be 'creamed' by cars. You do mean that you want to see cyclists run over and killed."

Um, no.

I just meant that if you cycle through a red light then you can't complain if you're knocked down.

But that's a distinction that is obviously beyond these people.

I agree with you that cyclists are obliged to obey the highway code and everything that entails.

A few years ago I was a time keeper for the BCF ( British cycling federation ) and the RTTC ( Road time trial council ), if I saw any cyclist breaking the law while in an event they would be excluded from the results. I would add that any member of a cycling club eg. BCF , CTC are covered by insurance. It has been said in the past that cyclists do not pay road tax, although true, low emission cars etc. do not pay road tax either.

I would also add that that applies to motorists TOO ! I have given up counting the number of times I have been crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing and vehicles have gone through on a red light.

Norwich police have just had a field day on cyclist on pavements, caught at issued fines on 17 of them yesterday.

They should now check on those going the past no entry signs/red traffic lighs/ pedestrian crossing when people are on them

My pet hate hate was coming home from work at about 6 am in winter and finding kids who were doing a paper rounds appearing out of side turnings with no lights. You would think parents would check that their kids bike were safe to ride in the dark

i used to ride a push bike when i first started work donkey years ago. If you had no lights in the dark you were sure to be caught, almost guaranteed. you would not dream of riding on the pavement.

If the roads are to dangerous for cycling then walk or use public transport

i aked a group of young lads outside a local supermarket why theyhad no front brakes fitted on their bikes and was told that they had removed them cos it was 'cool to not have one fitted. Thats got to eligal not to have brakes front and rear.

It seems all new bikes must have a bell fitted by law. no doubt they are removed for the same reason.

I find there is nothing wrong with the bikes, it's the riders that suck...

I have just taken up riding a bike for a leisure pastime and exercise and yes,still drive.

Yes there are irresponsible riders, and drivers,and always will be.

Breaking the rules and laws that are made necessary to make life safer fo all is,in my opion,stupid,stupid,stupid.

Whil'st Peter is right about bells must be fitted from new it is only a recommendation that you should keep them on.As our US cousins say, go figure!!!

He also states "If the roads are too dangerous for cycling then walk or take public transport" is fine in the towns and cities but not so much where I live.

Who makes the road dangerous anyway, its static and does not jump about,not like trees, they have to be watched. :laughing:

Imagine the outcry if car drivers considered a road too dangerous to use because of large lorries intimidating them,and no,that is not a dig at truck drivers who are in the main professional and safe.

Just my two pennyworth chucked in the pot folks :rolleyes:

Del

Hi Del,i live in a rural area as you, so there are very few pavements to ride on and less traffic compared to a town/city so my comment does not apply.but there seems more cyclist riding without lights on unlit roads though, i am talking about aduls here too.

Hi Del,i live in a rural area as you, so there are very few pavements to ride on and less traffic compared to a town/city so my comment does not apply.but there seems more cyclist riding without lights on unlit roads though, i am talking about aduls here too.

With you all the way on that matie,and they are cheap enough to buy and in the LED ones the batteries seem to last for ever and they are smaller so cheaper than the big batteries you had to buy then and as mentioned you were sure to be pulled then!!

Even the modern equivalent of the old dynamo type that ran off the tyre are so much more simple.

It's sheer bloody mindedness I suppose

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links