Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roundabout Named The Best In Britain

Raistlin

A roundabout featuring a giant windmill has been voted the best in Britain by the Roundabout Appreciation Society.

article-1350574929873-158BD0FE000005DC-583523_466x310.jpg

In a spin: The Holgate Mill roundabout has been named the best in Britain

The Holgate Windmill, originally built in 1770, sits in the middle of a roundabout situated on a York housing estate.

It was described as a 'work of art' by a member of UK Roundabout Appreciation Society (UKRAS) after scooping the top gong in the hotly contested competition.

As a result, the Grade II windmill will now appear on the front of the society’s 2013 calendar.

article-1350575011413-158BD091000005DC-696754_223x335.jpg

'Masterpiece': Holgate Mill (PA)

UKRAS president Kevin Beresford hailed the roundabout as the 'perfect Holy Grail Gyratory'.

'York's residents should feel very proud to live in the home of such a beautiful and well preserved piece of industrial history,' he told the York Press.

'I have to admit I've travelled from John O'Groats to Lands End in my search for the perfect Holy Grail Gyratory and now I think I've found it in the city of York.

'I thought I'd seen everything on a roundabout but I've never experienced a working windmill.'

He added: 'I was gobsmacked when I first saw it. It's in such good shape it's a work of art," he said.

'It's spectacular. It will take some beating to surpass. It proves that anything can go on a roundabout.'

The magical roundabout also featured in US broadcaster NBC’s Olympic coverage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links