Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stereo Query

buffaloes

Greetings

I have a '91 MR2 GT T-bar. The Toyota factory fitted stereo that is in place has finally given up the ghost and i obviously want to replace it. I've read lots of threads regarding stereos - as far as i can tell i have the standard system without any of the amps or subs behind the seats. I only really want to fit a fairy standard CD / Radio in place of what i have, is it just a case of buying any old stereo from Halfords or wherever and slotting it in? How do i get the old one out - it seems pretty flush into the centre console?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Mat

Hi,

If you have a double din unit in your car which i assuming you have cause i haven't seen a single din toyota stereo in an mr2 then you have to buy a fascia adapter to put a single din unit in, then, if you want to you can have a little cubby hole aswell or leave it blank. you'll have to get a harness adapter too. Think thats right :huh: hope it helps :thumbsup:

If you do have the siongle Din unit (which you probably do, since it is used on the majority of vehicles Ive seen - the lack of amps makes it more likely that you have the lower tech system) you should be able to simply change the head unit. If you don't want the hassle of doing up the wiring, I believe Halfords sells an adapter designed to fit the standard stereo connections on all modern systems.

I've got a spare Toyota unit in the garage I think .. where in the world are ya ?

Now you can't pass up an offer like that :). One thing that occurs, is it out on a system fitted with amps though? If it is, the outputs will be lineouts..... not sure if the standard system also has a built in amp.

don't think it matters .. I did have a Jap unit and a UK unit .. think I still have the UK one ..

I've got a few double din units laying about too ..

Many thanks for your combined replies. The unit is a single unit, it has a black fascia below it with Toyota written on it. The fascia isn't flat, it juts out (don't know why it was designed like that). Thanks also for your offer, I'm based near Cheltenham although i travel around.

Kind regards

Mat

Ah yes I know exactly what you have, because funnily enough I have exactly that unit sitting in my boot at the moment! Unfortunately I need it for my other MR2, but Bibbs sounds like he'll be able to sort you out.

Cheltenham isn't too far away from me, I often visit the town, and Powerstation is an excellent place for four wheel alignment!

I'm in Reading .. gimmie a few days to try and find the unit ..

Lol, sounds like you have a similar storage system to me! Now if only I could find that coil and ignitor.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links