Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Gone To Town Modding A N/a?

midmotorsteve

right mine body wise is staying stock cause big wings and fiber glass slow you down. I think unless your a talented driver on the bendys tubbys are slower 'cause you need to be schumacher/ senna/ warwick etc to be able to drive a tubby round lots of bends on boost. Lets face it we've all seen the results of boost mid bend on the forum, bent rear wheels, collapsed suspension etc. So i think n/as for the average driver i.e. you and i are easier to go really fast in round the twistys.

heres my engine bay

rev2bay150404.JPG

other wise its got 40mm drop, short shift kit, full samco hoses

still got to fit the metal head gasket, ARP studs, get the HKS pullys on and get it setup on an rolling road, and fit the LSD, all of which are in the post or in my posession. On order are pillow ball top mounts and TRD roll bars.

mods.JPG

any one else going the n/a route

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midmotorsteve

• ZeroBlade

• Jimlad

• jez_1_2000

Tubby may be hard to go round the corner, but have you actually driven a tubby?

I've bitten by the boost bug, the sense of happiness everytime you get the boost up the hill or the straight line... man, it is the best thing about driving a car with a turbo....

It'll be interesting to see what sort of power you can get out of it, i have a N/A and if a reasonable bhp can be acheived from it i'd be well happy :yes: . at the moment i'm stock apart from a K&N induction, there is a stainless steal exhaust on there too but are they fitted as standard? What sort of power are you hoping to get? and, how many 'Darwins' is all this setting you back? :huh:

I was an N/A bloke through and through. My UK Rev3 was and still is the best car I have ever owned B) But I have taken a Rev3 Tubby for a blast not too long ago and was quite impressed although I was expecting it to be alot quicker. The next '2 I get will be a Rev3+ Tubby - no question.

There is a guy (I think his name is Adrian) on IMOC-UKand MR2OC with a white N/A that had a NOS system fitted last year. He was getting very impressive figures. IIRC he was also planning some other engine mods giving him even more power.

been out in a 300bhp rev4 owners didn't like using any throttle round sweeping bends, felt the back really was going to over take the front all to easily.

Mods so far on my Rev 3 are:

Magnex De-cat

Mongoose Catback

K&N 57i Induction kit

I'd prefer the car to have more low down grunt, but round the "twisties" its not bad as long as the revs are kept high!

On a side note, MMS, I see you have wrapped the exhaust with heatwrap - any good? Do you notice anything different?

I'll be going the n/a mod route in about a yr tho.

Gonna get it looking good first, sort out the suspension etc. Then after will come the engine mods.

Reason for this is exactly the same as urs, i do like puttin the throttle down round twisties, and in a tubby i honestly don't think i'd be able to control the boost!

Engine wise i'll get a decent beams put in. That way i can get other work done to the engine such as rebuilt internals etc. b4 i transplant it into my car.

Had this discussion a while bak about gettin high power from an n/a. Matt (from rouge) said that he know's a bloke runnin about 300bhp on the n/a, he hasta rag it to get the torque. Still that didn't pu me off, hehe.

If you start now tho it'l be nice to hav summin 2 compare to ;)

-Z

the last time the car was running it knocked you back in your seat was def much better than stock. It was very quick on a normally aspirated scale, confused the caterham boys at combe untill the head gasket went. Have no idea on bhp prob 175ish, when its back on the road it'll re-appear with a unichip should be 200bhp area.

being a new tubby owner... i can honestly say that i am pretty dissapointed about the twisties!!!

Its all fun at the begining having a coupl eof sideways moments but it gets frustrating when you cant push it round a bend without having the reflexes of a mongoose...:(

and System G... i know that you are smitten with the tubby!.. you know you want one badley!.. lol :)

Just to give you an idea, mines running mongoose exhaust/decat, pipercross induction and magnecor leads, and was RR'd at 173BHP a couple of weeks ago.

To me it feels deathly slow, but am used to turbos. As you say though i can beat a 280BHP 200sx round a roundabout though (he just shoots off into the distance afterwards <_< ) :rolleyes:

I should say a tubby should corner the same as an NA, you just need to know how to do it, i.e. not plant your foot at the wrong moment :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right i have saved £500 for labour so far so very close to getting it done. I now have the following all paid for and in my posession :-

HKS 1.2mm metal Head gasket

HKS adjustable cam pullys

ARP headbolts

Revision 2 viscous LSD

TRD oil filter

TRD coolant cap - fitted

TRD oil cap - fitted

Blitz SUS filter fully heat shielded - fitted

Mocal oil catch can - fitted

Full samco hose set - fitted

Magnex Decat Pipe - fitted

ThermoTec wrapped manifold - fitted

T-Bar rear strut brace - fitted

TOM's C7 16" split rims - fitted

All stock heat shield replaced with aluminised fiberglass matting - fitted

paid for waiting delivery:-

190bhp reground rev 3 camshafts and all shims, buckets and valves to do full shim under bucket conversion

H & R coilovers with pillow ball top mounts

GAB stainless steel front strut brace

so now i'll need the below fitted:-

head skimming and valves, buckets, shims and cams & pullys fitted and setup, head gasket and ARP studs.

New water pump fitted.

LSD fitted.

but......

few bits i still need to buy are the water pump, LSD ring gear bolts and appropriate drive shafts for the LSD, i need help with finding that out as well, i know i need LSD specific shafts but don't know if i need early turbo LSD shafts or normally aspirated rev 3+ drive shafts (as they had LSD's as standard). :ffs:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

dunno if u've seen the post i made about increasing the rev's steve, but would it be possible with ur setup. plus new tacho :)

-Z

i've never added it up...here goes

HKS 1.2mm metal Head gasket = £120

HKS adjustable cam pullys = £160

ARP headbolts = £95

Revision 2 viscous LSD = £80

TRD oil filter = £11

TRD coolant cap - fitted = £22

TRD oil cap - fitted = £15

Blitz SUS filter fully heat shielded - fitted = £150

Mocal oil catch can - fitted = £65

Full samco hose set - fitted = £200

Magnex Decat Pipe - fitted = £50

ThermoTec wrapped manifold - fitted = £20

T-Bar rear strut brace - fitted = £30

TOM's C7 16" split rims - fitted = £150

All stock heat shield replaced with aluminised fiberglass matting - fitted £40

paid for waiting delivery:-

190bhp reground rev 3 camshafts and all shims, buckets and valves to do full shim under bucket conversion = £178

H & R coilovers with pillow ball top mounts = £440

GAB stainless steel front strut brace = £60

so,...

£1826 :eek:

I still win... :)

erm.. no.. you should be cryin mate.. lol.. not smilin... :P

Plus the price of all the fuel you've used and your insurance and the cost of the actual car.

Someone work out how much they've spent all togther, it could be quite interesting..... I, can't be ****d.

it has now, lol!

thoe figures aren't that bad actually steve. Reason being i was trying to decide if it would worthwhile strengthening my existing lump or getting a beams to get me to around 200bhp...

with that 2G engine from imoc plus a bout a grand for fitting it thats 3G, so...

ur route does seem appealing :)

plus u've done got other stuff in there 2, albeit at VERY good prices!

guess i'll havta start eBayin'g then :)

-Z

jim your tubby got an LSD?? out of intrest? :thumbsup:

no it doesn't......

should I get it... lol. ?? What difference does it make out of curiousity ?

What difference does it make out of curiousity ?

it makes u fly!!!!... <_<

seriously tho in basic terms it transfers more power to the wheels of ur car spo that they all have realtively the speed.

u know by know that people usually have 2 different bhp figures, one @ the flywheel (real figures) and the "other" figure.

this should help make the "other" figure much more realistic of ur actual power as extra traction is gained form the torque transfer to yer wheels.

oh, and u can pull mad donuts with lsd!

Steve:

Could u gimme a bit of info on the following please:

Mocal oil catch can

All stock heat shield replaced with aluminised fiberglass matting

i'm interested in the thermal wrapping aswell but i rem a post u made about that b4 so ill dig it up. not sure if u've covered the oil catch can...

was the fibreglass a custom job or did ya get it off a website m8?

-Z

jeah the LSD is a really quite important mod to improve power delivery. Jim i just asked as if it proves to difficult so get it fitted to my n/a it'll definately fit your car wondered if you may want it.

the fibre glass matting i got from burton power a very good place for general performance parts. They are ford based, do heavy engine mods build 600bhp cosworth engines etc, been about for 30 years

https://www.burtonpower.com/default.aspx

yeah mate... I'll have it. How much. You 100% sure that it will fit my car with no probs ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links