Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Gone To Town Modding A N/a?

midmotorsteve

nice one steve cheers for the info :thumbsup:

jim yep it should bolt onto ur tubby no problemo B)

-Z

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midmotorsteve

• ZeroBlade

• Jimlad

• jez_1_2000

Jimlad.. how do you know you dont have LSD?

As an import you might have it fitted.. do you know what to do to check?

oh yeah.... lmfao !!

How do I know that I don't have LSD ?? .... erm... how do I check ? Bear in mind that my clutch is shag*ed, so no wheel spinning efforts.

millways doing it in june spoke to them this morning, the send the head to somewhere in winchester

you're spending £800 ?

That's not including the part costs.

On a N/A ??

What kind of gain will you get out of this ?

this is primarily beacause the water pump failed it over heated making the headgasket go, which by a toyota dealer would cost £700 to fix as stock.

Dunno if it's been mentioned (being an NA thread - it's skipped under my radar) .. but I'd got one of these "history of the MR2" books ..

The mention the GT300 MR2 that was the 290 bhp 180 lb/ft 3s-ge engined car .. weighing in a 1000kg ..

Not much torque .. but the max power was at 8200 rpm and it hadn't been <fnar> stroked either !!

The mention the GT300 MR2 that was the 290 bhp 180 lb/ft 3s-ge engined car .. weighing in a 1000kg ..

Not much torque .. but the max power was at 8200 rpm and it hadn't been <fnar> stroked either !!

:blink: 290bhp....nice :yes:

what power levels are you expecting for all the benjamin's you've spent steve?

yeah i have that book, brian long, Toyota mr2 japans first mid engined sports car. I noticed that as well i thought it was strange it says it was made for the All-japan GT championships?? i thought they'd be using tubbys, i guess they must be illegal for that series.

spec was

3S-GE

86 x 86mm

1998cc ( so NOT stroked)

14.0:1 compression ratio

Max power 290ps

I think the class was non-forced induction ..

I think the car itself looks pretty cool too .. esp the silver one ..

once this is done prob 180 bhp ish then i'll unichip it so should be over 200bhp, then after a bit more saving i'll get TODA high compression pistons @ you've guessed it 14:1 compression ratio, re map and then, don't know.

er... unless you're n/a has 190bhp stock they will imporve performance :D

right, but whata involved in getting them fitted... i wouldnt do it myself, but roughly whats it involve?

to do a full job as you have a rev2 a shim under bucket conversion which make it quite costly, if your not going to be reving the <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s off it you'd probably be fine with standard shim over bucket setup. You will need adjustable cam pullys though £160 for fidanza ones from fensport, and labour will be basically cambelt change cost, but of course you change the camblt at the same time so if you off set that cost it makes the price more acceptable.

I'm now debating with myself whether to a) do what you are doing and mod my n/a, B) get an engine transplant to make it a turbo, or c) part exchange my n/a for a turbo. Thing is the car can already allegedly do 138mph and 0-60 in 7 seconds or something so do I need to go faster or get a tubby? (that’s the sensible bit of my brains way of thinking, now here’s the stupid bit) I’d like to think I can keep up with and even beat the M3’s and scoobys out there! I don’t know, it’ll be a few months yet anyway before I do anything.

:unsure::blink::thumbsup:

my thinking is do a lot of learning too eventually (2 years) get a rev3 turbo engine mod it out of the car, but...mod it for useable power no silly wack of boost or anything like that, i'm told on imoc if mods like different ball bearing turbos etc are well organised and all mapping is done well a high power turbo should be able to have the same characteristic as a n/a car just 'more'.

I'm very concerned about loosing the on the limit throttle predictablity and fine control a n/a gives you. Most tuning companies don't tune turbos like this but go for the big power 'drag strip' style of tuning. I don't want this, thing is i have a nice stiff car never fussed about T-Bar, but do like taking the roof out so my moon roof is ideal, also don't think theres a better colour, it also has coilovers etc fitted so going to buy a tubby would be starting again.

Engine swap in 2 years is my plan, should be able to sell my engine for a decent sum as well with mods or i can take them to the tubby motor, pullys cams etc.

i'm told on imoc if mods like different ball bearing turbos etc are well organised and all mapping is done well a high power turbo should be able to have the same characteristic as a n/a car just 'more'.

yep there are diff kinds of turbos with diff characteristics some give huge powe top end, some lower, some more lag, some less etc.

That does sound like a very nice idea, gettin it prefect for race (:D) setup so u have indefinate control over the car as opposed to drag style where as u said the boost is whacked up!

i didnt actually consider this before...

maybe if i get a tubby, then mod it like this...

what am i saying!! noooooo, i'll NEVER become a turbo junkie!!! lol

think thats the caffeine talkng...

-Z

good prices, 10% power increase isn't at all bad either, only thing is from the description i can't see what engine they are for Whats the UK equivalent of a Levin?

i think sprinter/levin were the same, diff body, lights for one, popups of sprinter, normal on leven, so uk = rolla

but i think that the lev stands for level...

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links