Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Timing Belt

Dame

I've been looking through the various guides on how to change the 3S-GE timing belt (inc. the workshop manual), and I have to say I'm a bit confused. Do you really have to remove the head cover, and thus I presume replace the head gasket? What's the reason for this - when I've changed belts of Range Rovers etc, we simply remove the old belt and tensioner etc, make sure everything stays in place and replace the new one and tensioner. It seems that Toyota engines require a lot more work?? Am I being dumb here?? Or is there another, better way....?

Cheers :)

No need to remove cylinder head.

I removed upper and lower covers (plastic covers for cam belt and mechanism), I took the intercooler fan off for more room, and I forget what else. I'd imagine it'd be the same for the 3S-GE? But no, you don't need to remove the cylinder head at all.

:thumbsup:

Phew, thanks for that :) feeling a lot better now, I thought it was a bit mad..... It seems that the workshop manual is detailing a lot of other work that can take place at the same time.

Ok from other experience the procedure would be along the lines of:

1. Remove the engine mount (with jack under car of course!),

2. Remove the two timing belt covers, and all the other stuff,

3. Get to a stage where you can see the belt

4. Mark the position of all the pulllies etc.

5. Remove tensioner to slacken belt

6. Remove the belt,

7. Carefully replace new belt, ensuring that all pulleys line with original marks

8. Replace tensioner or fit new tensioner

9. Replace all covers etc. And job done?

Obviously a simplification, but would I be barking up the right tree??

Yeah, I forgot to put the bits in about rusty bolts, no room to work in, nightmare of a tensioner to replace - though apparently if you buy a new one (highly recommended) all you have to do is to fit it, remove a grenade pin and it will spring into place. I think it's going to be a tough one - in my case, mainly because the car has been stood for a couple of years, so there's been plenty of time for everything to seize up nicely. On the plus side this one isn't a Turbo, and doesn't have air con, so there a lot less crap to remove, unlike my turbo, which has an engine bay brimming full of toys!

From what I can tell, the key is to mark everything in place, have lots of patience and be willing to give up many many hours the first time the job is done.

It was mentioned on one guide that the starter motor can be used to remove the crank pulley i.e. with socket and bar connected to nut and wedged in ground. Sounds a little risky to me..... but if the damn thing won't shift... Also I really don;t like the fact you have to remove the engine mount - it really is a case of Toyota not designing the car around the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links